Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cylinder latches

Dragon11

I currently reload left handed, ejecting the shells out with my left hand being a right handed shooter. I am using a Hogue extended cylinder latch and was interested in what everybody else was using. I don't mind the Hogue release, but I find at times my thumb catches on the side of it every once in a while. I am happy with how I reload, was just wondering if there were different options out there besides the original latch or the Hogue. Any ideas?

I currently reload left handed, ejecting the shells out with my left hand being a right handed shooter. I am using a Hogue extended cylinder latch and was interested in what everybody else was using. I don't mind the Hogue release, but I find at times my thumb catches on the side of it every once in a while. I am happy with how I reload, was just wondering if there were different options out there besides the original latch or the Hogue. Any ideas?

California Competition works makes an aluminum release latch that is shorter than the Hogue long cylinder release.

2012-02-17140837.jpg

I strong hand load, as a left handed shooter. So I need to be able to thumb over the back of the gun and not get caught on a cylinder latch. I tried the above and still prefer the factory or SDM.

You might want to try the standard Hogue cylinder latch first. It sounds like you might have the extended hogue release.

SDM also makes a cylinder latch but it is basically the same as a factory one.

The Hogue comes in 2 sizes

Within the last month or so I put on a SDM latch to my 625JM. I went with the "older" style, simply because it seemed to have more surface area. It dropped in fine and is a night and day difference over the factory latch. I really wanted one of the Hogues, but they aren't IDPA legal, and this revolver is used for all of my shooting sports. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the SDM.

post-40403-0-19004700-1339081843_thumb.j

I'm right handed and reload strong handed. So if you're left handed your preferences may be different. I've tried an extended release. I went back to the stock release on my 627. Then I tried an SDM release. Same shape as stock but "stickier" checkering. Really like it. Since it was the same shape and size as stock, I didn't need to adjust my muscle memory from shooting and practicing reloads with the stock latch but it just makes a more positive connection with my relatively short thumb.

California Competition works makes an aluminum release latch that is shorter than the Hogue long cylinder release.

2012-02-17140837.jpg

I strong hand load, as a left handed shooter. So I need to be able to thumb over the back of the gun and not get caught on a cylinder latch. I tried the above and still prefer the factory or SDM.

You might want to try the standard Hogue cylinder latch first. It sounds like you might have the extended hogue release.

SDM also makes a cylinder latch but it is basically the same as a factory one.

For what it is worth. I believe that the cylinder release in Ty's photo is the Ed Brown. California Comp Works makes one that is similiar but not quite. Theirs is a square face rather than the triangular face of the Ed Brown (Who doesn't make them anymore). I have tried the SDM's and they are quite good. I now have a Ed Brown release and I like it well enough to leave it on my gun.

Steve

Well it looks as if we have one more latch in the mix. Add the Ed Brown to the list of latches to look out for. The California Competition Works latch as in this photo

18604_california_competition_works_sw_thumb_latch_m.jpg

is the one I have. I didn't prefer it over a hogue or stock latch. My wife who is right handed and weak hand reloads, prefers the extended Hogue. She does have small hands. I have not tried the Ed Brown. I stole the picture, it looked like the one I have, as I remembered it looking. Thanks for correcting the info.

Edited by Ty Hamby

After market didn't work well for me. Went back to stock and do MUCH better. Your results may vary.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Shooting revolver is somewhat like dating a full figured, less than stunning woman

-it's comfortable

-it will almost never disappoint you

-it's not finicky

-you can feed it nearly anything

-it doesn't care much about OAL

-it's stout, reliable, and durable

-you don't need to clean it much

-you can dryfire it all the time

I think for now I'll stick with the Hogue. I rounded the edges on mine also using a Dremmel tool. I also filed lines across the horizontal lines of the face of it, giving it aggressive checkering. The only release I haven't tried yet was the Califoria Competion works. Maybe down the road I'll give it a try.

I run a "short" Hogue *thumb rest [generic]* thumb latch on my revolvers. Most folks are not aware of the 2 different lengths available. Those with the "long", generally prefer my "short", when they are made aware of the options.

Edited by NOSAJ19

Who have an experience with the improved SDM open latch (Idpa legal) ?

Yes it is IDPA Legal

ok, but you see the difference in opening the cilynder or is very little ?

You definitely see a difference. If your thumb makes contact on even a small portion of the SDM latch, it's not going to slip off and you can still get the cylinder open at speed. It is a fairly inexpensive part and easy to put on, so not reason not to give it a try.

Those of us with short stubby thumbs appreciate the longer version. I can release with my left thumb at the same time exerting pressure to flip open the cylinder with right index finger. Before, I'd have to shift my hand position to get to the latch.

• 2 weeks later...

I istalled the SDM open latch (Idpa legal)

On the box i read " little or no fitting required ".

I think when she said little fitting, he talk about the height..

I attached two pics, fot you is better hold like that or lower removing material ?

The screw now does not work so screwed up at the bottom, but almost half

Thanks

post-27397-0-41771400-1340406412_thumb.j

post-27397-0-92001300-1340406435_thumb.j

I got the Houge extended latch last summer, I like it but It bites me up some. This pic is from my practice session at the range today, notice the little piece of my thumb skin still attached to it. I had not had this happen so bad before, I think it has to do with the fact that I did not get to shoot revo all that much last year and with all the dry fire practice I have been doing since my spanking at the IRC has got my grip higher and more consistent.

post-26160-0-57232100-1340841749_thumb.j

Eww. :wacko:

I was coming in this thread to offer to buy a used Hogue or California release if they had one cluttering up the parts box, but now I think I may stipulate that it must be free from flesh/blood/bodily fluids. Or just pay retail for a factory fresh specimen.

Free from flesh,blood, and bodily fluids is a good rule of thumb for all purchases. BTW mines not for sale anyhow, Im a twisted little puppy who deserves the punishment for neglecting the wheel gun for most of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see how you guys were getting cut by the Hogue's till I shot a little yesterday, swimming in sweat. Every shot driving the gun down and my grip up. It didn't take long for the front edge to take a chunk out of the side of my thumb. :sick:

I've been shooting this thing for 4(?) years now and it's never done it till now. Swell.