Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 JM 22" vs 24"

Hello,

I would like to start competing in my local 3 gun matches, tactical division, and was wondering

which shotgun model would be best?

Model 930 JM (Jerry Miculek) Pro Series 24" 2.75" 9+1

or

Model 930 JM (Jerry Miculek) Pro Series 22" 2.75" 8+1

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Mossberg&mdlno=Model+930+JM+%28Jerry+Miculek%29+Pro+Series

All of the rulesets for the capacity limited divisions require a maximum number of rounds in the tube prior to the start. However, the vast majority have no restriction after the start. Being able to load an exta round or two above the max start capacity is an advantage on many stages. For that reason alone, I would go with the 24".

I have the 22" and I feel it's the ideal model. I also have a 24" Benelli that is great but the 22" is a good compromise between the 21" Benelli and the 24" barrels.

Also, if you get the 3/4" extension from Nordic and put it on the JM 22" model, you can put nine rounds in the tube. Pair that up with extended choke tubes and both come out about even.

Correct me if im wrong, in USPSA, you can have 8+ 1 starting.

but its Unlimited After the Buzzer? therefore isnt it the best tactic to get a 24" with +9 tube extension?

that way you can practically you can instantly load 5 more rounds after the buzzer?

but its Unlimited After the Buzzer? therefore isnt it the best tactic to get a 24" with +9 tube extension?

that way you can practically you can instantly load 5 more rounds after the buzzer?

As of today, USPSA is 8+1 for a loaded start and no more than 8 in the tube after the start. However there is a new rulebook coming out in 2013 and i am pretty sure the new rules will be something like 8+1 at the start and unlimited after the buzzer. The Arkansas match is the last one I know of that will be under the current rules.

So technically, your thought process is "going to be" correct.

the Tube only holds 9 total, it can be confusing when you order a Nordic tube as the tube size is by how many it holds (not) including the original amount.

on the way they have the Mossburg listed ,, = So its not a +9 it just a plain 9

Edited by AlamoShooter

The matches I shoot does a lot of empty chamber, loaded tube starts. I went with the 24" so I could still start with 9. I think it balances really well also.

The matches I shoot does a lot of empty chamber, loaded tube starts. I went with the 24" so I could still start with 9. I think it balances really well also.

Yep. The matches around here usually are 9 in the gun at any time, total, and a lot of the stages stage loaded tube, empty chamber.