Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMac 24" overheating

calvary45

I have a 24" IMac that has the original 128 graphics card that is fried. problem was with overheating, I have smcfancontrol on my account and run it on medium all the time except when streaming video i run it on high, problem came when i logged out of my account and put it on guest account i did not authorize smcfancontrol and the computer got really hot. Alright my question is i am looking at buying a 256(i think nvidia) graphics card is there anybody on here that will be willing to install it or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance, Sean

Edited by calvary45

... do they even take a normal graphics card? I've got a mid-2011 27" I5 iMac, and I don't run any sort of oem fan apps; the system takes care of itself. How old is yours? Opening up one of these is decidedly not for the faint of heart, and given that some graphics cards are double-width now....., again, do they even take a normal graphics card?

As far as i know its a normal graphics card, I found the right card that i need. The computer is a 2006 IMac 2.33 processor and i was wrong it is a 24". I have seen the videos of these being replace and wow thats no joke.

Edited by calvary45

Is it overheating and going into thermal shutdown or just running hot? Apple built the iMac to use the back as a large heatsink and chose to run them hot to keep them quiet.

It will run hot and then get a ghost screen and lines across the screen, it does all kinds of weird stuff once it gets hot. After a while it will just lock up. After doing some research this was a pretty common problem for this model. I had it checked and hard drive,logic board,etc, are all good with the exception of the fried graphic card.

• 1 year later...