Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences between IDPA and USPSA

okorpheus

I've shot a couple of IDPA matches and will be shooting my first USPSA match this weekend. Other than not having retain mags, use cover, or use concealment, are there any big differences I should be prepared for?

Walkthroughs: you are allowed to preview the stage and come up with the game plan. Airgunning is perfectly reasonable and common to see.

Shoot thrus do not count unless they are touching the perf.

And absolutely cold range. I know that some IDPA matches allow people to go around loaded.

Edited by Skydiver

The big word is "freestyle". I also shoot IDPA but prefer USPSA. I am not knocking anything about IDPA but a stage is shot usually the way you are told. Normally you are not given any options as written in the stage briefing. A good USPSA stage will allow you to shoot it a few different ways, all of them being acceptable, depending on what division you are shooting. Shoot them both and give them ample time to decide what you like best. I still shoot both and have a great time, but prefer USPSA.

Thanks. I have 5 mags, but only 2 mag pouches for my belt, so I'm still toying with the idea of shooting limited instead of production for my first match just so I can load up mags if I understand the rules right. I shoot an m&p 9, so I can fill mags to capacity if I'm in limited, correct. I know the equipment is more suited to production, but not that concerned about placement at my first match.

Yes, shoot limited. You will be scored minor instead of major but like you say, it is your first match. Fill 'em up. You will have plenty to think about without worrying about reloading everytime you shoot 9-10rds. If you enjoy deciding things for yourself, you will enjoy uspsa. Shoot the game YOUR way & have fun.

MLM

Thanks. I have 5 mags, but only 2 mag pouches for my belt, so I'm still toying with the idea of shooting limited instead of production for my first match just so I can load up mags if I understand the rules right. I shoot an m&p 9, so I can fill mags to capacity if I'm in limited, correct. I know the equipment is more suited to production, but not that concerned about placement at my first match.

There is usually someone with extra gear in their bags. I know I lent a new friend a mag holder at the last local match. I always have an extra or 2 in case one of mine breaks or fails. Shooters are usually the most helpful people out there.

Practical challenge?

Yup!

You are given parameters in the stage description. Staying within those parameters you engage the targets in the most efficient manor.

I've shot a couple of IDPA matches and will be shooting my first USPSA match this weekend. Other than not having retain mags, use cover, or use concealment, are there any big differences I should be prepared for?

Speed is more important in USPSA than IDPA in the lower classifications (A-D). That is probably the biggest difference for me. Accuracy is still important, but I see a drastic change in my overall if I shoot more than 95% of points in USPSA that means that I am usually going to slow to be competitive. Everyone is different, but that is the biggest difference that I see in my game when I compare the 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy or borrow more mag pouches.

The dropped mag procedurals and "tactical priority" killed me in a recent IDPA match. What could have been 6th overall quickly became 14th after you add up 18 seconds worth of IDPA specific penalties.

The main difference between idpa and uspsa is that the idpa guys make fun of the uspsa guys for dressing in funny bicyclist-style jerseys and shooting guns that barely fit in a suitcase, and arguing incessantly over which pocket you put your barney mag in, whereas the uspsa guys make fun of the idpa guys for dressing in funny 'shoot me first' vests and arguing incessantly over 'round dumping'.

The folks that only concentrate on one of the games and never bother learning the rules for the other one are good sport to watch at a match.

The different scoring areas of the IDPA compared to the USPSA targets. The "A" zone on the USPSA target is considerably different from the "Down -0" zone on the IDPA target. The "head" scoring areas are a bit different also as the USPSA has a "B" and an "A" zone, while IDPA counts it as a "down -0" zone in it's entirety.

I participate in both sports and adjust my point of aim based on which target I am facing.

There are many differences between the two. I started out in IDPA and now shoot USPSA more. In addition the different specific rules there are two main differences.

One is in the mindset. IDPA is "defensive" where USPSA is an "offensive." This does not mean that you can't be aggressive in IDPA. You still have to be but in a different way.

The second is that IDPA is a lot more structured. There isn't usually a lot of difference between how I would have to shoot a stage and where Bob Vogel would shoot the stage. He just does it so unbelievably better than I do. In USPSA each person can come up with his own plan to shoot each stage, within the rules of course. I have seen others come up with the exact same plan as I did. And others come up with something that I had never considered. This means that you can play to your strengths as much as possible, or at least try to mitigate your weaknesses. Everything being the equal: skill level, skill set, equipment, execution and division, the one who comes up with the better plan would win the stage.

• 5 years later...