Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L or XDM 5.25 40 S&W Open gun

jdphotoguy

Looking to build an Open gun on the cheap, well cheaper then an S_I new or used. Trying to decide between two guns I have, which are a M&P 9L in 9mm setup as my Production gun or a XDM 5.25 in 40 S&W setup as my Limited gun. Both have had trigger work done, the XDM has a Pistolgear Unlimited Mag Well and four 20 round mags, so it would be cheaper to make the switch then the M&P.

Going with a Leupold Deltapoint which will fit on either gun, so other then the fact that I can fit more 9mm rounds in a mag then 40, is there any other reason to go with one over the other?

BTW I have everything needed to reload 40 or 9, so that's not a concern.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I would still go with the M&P. You can get a few of the Arredondo mag extensions for $17 a piece that will put your capacity out to 23 rounds and it would be cheaper buying the 9mm bullets and brass over the .40. Either way, it will probably work out the same but if you do it for an extended period of time, the savings in the 9mm will come out on top. With the 9mm, you will be able to use lighter bullets and get more gas to work the comp.

So, it's really a personal decision since there won't be many differences but I would go with the 9mm...

I guess it really boils down to what works best for you personally. If you're asking for an opinion...I've always like the trigger on an M&P, and 9mm just makes more sense cost wise. If you plan to make a move to open, you'll wind up spending some cash with new gear regardless, so the M&P build gets my vote.

gng4 is right about personal decision. What do you feel works best for you?

Thanks guys, I'm leaning toward making the M&P 9L an Open gun and leaving the XDM 5.25 as my Limited gun.

Report back and let us know how it goes...and don't forget the pics :)

Good luck

Will do, right now I have the following parts on order

• Leupold Deltpoint 7.5MOA
  • SSS Limited Magwell
  • 1 x 170mm Taylor Freelance Extended Base Pad (Already have 4 x 140mm base pads)
  • M&P Carver 3 port Comp
  • Stainless Steel non-captured guide rod and various weight springs
  • Storm Lake 5.71" Extended 1/2" 28 threaded barrel

Now the wait for everything to show up and the process of working up a load. Oh and I need to buy some powder and bullets as my current powder (VV N320) and bullets (Precision Bullets 147gr moly coated) are not going to work. Was thinking about Winchester Auto Comp powder and a 124gr fully jacketed bullet, like those from Montana Gold.

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of turning my Springer-built 4.5" XDm into an open gun. Right now I am shooting with the Burris Fast Fire II. The barrel and comp will be added this fall. I'll give reports over the winter.

IMG_0364.jpg

I replaced the slideride with a RTS. Much better. Its a 9 but you get the idea. Im very happy with it. CR Speed holster was $200 but there may be other holsters.

Plus the Pistolgear extensions make it 28+1

Edited by Kent Grewe

• 3 months later...

OK the M&P 9L Open Minor build is back on. Going to call Storm Lake and KKM tomorrow to see who can get me a threaded barrel quickest, but I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait with either.

Would like to have the slide milled to lower the dot and would it make sense to have the slide lightened or is it not truly needed?

420450_154863794658695_967448871_n.jpg

Edited by jdphotoguy

• 2 weeks later...

Got the threaded barrel from Bobby Carver today, btw nice guy that Bobby. The comp is all red loctited on and curing for before it's first trip to the range tomorrow.

Going to try some Winchester White Box 115gr in it first to see how well it works the comp, as I only have moly coated 9mm bullets at this time.

Post some pixs and range report tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in you progress, as I am trying the sam thing woth my 9 FS. I managed to get a Storm Lake barrel for a Pro, from Ebay. Gonna thread it and add a comp myself. I will be experimenting wiht 115gr bullets and HS-6 to make major.

The Full Apex trigger kit is a must!! Whole new gun!

IMG_20121110_162154.jpg

Edited by Racefan

• 3 months later...

Personally, I believe the 4.5" XDm is better suited for the task, than the 5.25".

Do you think the 5.25 would be too long? I am contemplating building an XDM 5.25 in .40 for an Open gun. Barsto is making threaded barrels for the 5.25 and was going to add a Springer Compensator.