Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying Open minor with XDm 9mm

My 12 year old son has been shooting his XDm 9mm for Steel Challenge and IPSC production. He also shoots open optic rimfire rifle and handgun for Steel Challenge and enjoys optics. He recently started shooting my SVI open blaster a bit and decided he would like to try open.

Not wanting to rush in, though I was tempted, we decided to take baby steps and first mod his XDm so that he can shoot Open minor PF with it. It has already been massaged and has a nice trigger. We put a Deltapoint on it and just received a Springer Precision 2 port comp (thanks to Scott, best customer service there is). Scott was out of the Bar Sto barrels so we ordered a Storm Lake threaded barrel from Bobby Carver, and a Pistol Gear Magwell from Pistol Gear. We already had some 140mm mags from kits purchased from Springer and just got a 170mm mag from Scott (thanks again) that he had used as a demo. The missing pieces are starting to arrive and we should have the pistol up and running by the middle of next week.

Scott Springer has been instrumental in offering advice and guidance. There is a reason Springer Precision has been so successful, and it's well deserved.

It was also Scott that found my open blaster for me when I was in the market for one.

Once we get the thing up and running I'll post some pics and impressions. It should be a pretty good lucking gun. It started as a bi-tone OD and Silver, and the comp is silver to match the slide (thanks again Scott) and the magwell is also silver.

Is that the 4.5 or the 5.25? Also, how much do you think you have in extras to make it an open gun?

It is a 4.5 that he's had for a few years.

The gun already had a trigger job and a solid guide rod. To get it ready for open the Deltapoint and mount for the XDm was abut $400, the threaded barrel and comp were $300, magwell $85, and about $150 for a couple 140mm and 170mm mag kits. ON EDIT: I forgot, also $150 for a Ghost holster.

What I like about it is the Deltapoint can be used on another firearm if we ever want to. Compared to buying him his own 2011 right away it seems like it was a pretty economical way to let him try open. My son also likes things that are a little different, and this gun is a bit different.

I really enjoy my 2011, and it's incredibly fun to shoot. As most know they are a bit "fiddly" to get them up and running reliably, and the mags can be an issue and require tinkering. I know they are a high performance version of a 1911, but they've always seemed somewhat high maintenance to me. With an XDm you start with a gun that is super reliable right out of the box, no fiddling, you can improve the trigger greatly, not to where it is as sweet as a good 1911 type trigger, but pretty good. Since my son and I both have XDm's we have quite a few factory mags. None of them have ever failed to drop right out, quickly and properly, right from day one. You may give up a round of capacity to a 38SC 2011, but it's debatable how big of a disadvantage that is.

The 2011 has always been somewhat of a mystery to me with regard to why it can be such a process to get them to run reliably. Even with a new Trubor some folks have to tune them to get them running reliably. That's a brand new out of the box firearm, and not an inexpensive one. That has always befuddled me a bit. It's a 1911 with a double stack mag.

We just got the barrel and will get everything mounted up this week and I'll get a couple of pics.

Edited by drysideshooter

We took the gun to the range today and it shot very well. Anxious to work up some loads with Auto-Comp (what I shoot in my 38SC). Here are some pics of the gun: (170mm mag inserted)

XDMrightjpg.jpg

XDM9leftjpg.jpg

XDMtopjpg.jpg

Edited by drysideshooter

Thanks guys. My son is happy with it. Shooting some loads that were 135PF with the standard barrel setup the gun shot very flat. The delta in the Deltapoint never left the glass during recoil. I am thinking with a more gassy powder like Auto Comp it may be even better. I'll update once I've loaded some up and we've tried them.

Thanks guys. My son is happy with it. Shooting some loads that were 135PF with the standard barrel setup the gun shot very flat. The delta in the Deltapoint never left the glass during recoil. I am thinking with a more gassy powder like Auto Comp it may be even better. I'll update once I've loaded some up and we've tried them.

Just a suggestion from a STEEL shooter. Try 95gr. JHP Montana Gold with 4.7gr.- 4.9gr. of WW 231, OAL 1.050 Shoots like a LASER with about as much recoil.

Edited by sweetback

Thanks sweetback, we will give that a try. The loads we shot the other day were 124gr MG FMJ's over 4.7gr WSF.

We are wanting a load that he can shoot for SC as well as IPSC. I am guessing the 95gr bullets may not make minor PF, but may be a heck of a good steel load.

There's no minimum bullet weight for Minor in USPSA Open Division, only for Major (112 grns). If you can drive the 95 grn bullets at over 1316 fps, you should make minor. Given that we drive 124s and 125s at a good chunk over that speed for Major, I would think it'd be possible.

There's no minimum bullet weight for Minor in USPSA Open Division, only for Major (112 grns). If you can drive the 95 grn bullets at over 1316 fps, you should make minor. Given that we drive 124s and 125s at a good chunk over that speed for Major, I would think it'd be possible.

I am going to give it a try. I am hoping we may be able to do it with a gassy powder like Auto Comp and really work the comp.

I am going to give it a try. I am hoping we may be able to do it with a gassy powder like Auto Comp and really work the comp.

Yes you can soup it up (95gr) with Auto Comp to get 1316 fps, But it will be LOUD.

Edited by sweetback

Yes you can soup it up (95gr) with Auto Comp to get 1316 fps, But it will be LOUD.

Loud is okay for the right load. I use Auto Comp in my SVI 38SC open gun and it's louder than heck, but a great load. Loud is worse on the RO's than the shooter.

The loads we had on hand with WSF were pretty flat, the delta in the optic never left the glass. I am thinking that we may get some improvement with Auto Comp, so we will give it a try. I am going to start out around 6.1 gr of AC for the 95gr, and will probably try about 5.2 of AC to start out with the 124gr. We have cases of the MG124 FMJ's and CMJ's on hand and I am going to order 1,000 of the 95 grains just to try. I was thinking about trying some 115gr for steel for my 38SC as I have friends that shoot the same load with a 115 for Steel as they do with 124 for major USPSA. I may see what I can do with a 95gr for my 38SC just for the fun of it.