Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trap Gun

birdzman

A friend wants me to shoot some trap with him, my question is what would be a suitable lower budget gun to get ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by birdzman

Either an 870 or 1100 will break 'em just fine. However, low budget and trap gun are not usually used together.

The gun that many feel is the starter gun for trap is a Browning BT99. Used they go for $ 850 or so. New they can be found for $ 1100.

Its not purpose built for trap, but my mossberg 930 JM Pro series does great at trap. Its definitely overkill with 10 shot capacity, but I will use it for clays any chance I get and not expect to suffer any penalty that isn't already incurred by my lack of experience with that particular sport.

Edited by ChrisMcCracken

Either an 870 or 1100 will break 'em just fine. However, low budget and trap gun are not usually used together.

The gun that many feel is the starter gun for trap is a Browning BT99. Used they go for $ 850 or so. New they can be found for $ 1100.

Lower Budget, just not top of the line or bottom of the barrel. I think I'm leaning towards the 1100, the pump guns give me some trouble because of arthritis.

Remington 870 or 1100 are great guns that you can find used at a good price, a Browning BT-99 is a little more, but well wirth it. Go to a ATA or PITA shoot, (a state match would be great), there are always a few guns for sale at good prices at these shoots. Ray

Come on down to Chills's bargain basement o' trap guns.

How about a used Perazzi MX10 for an even 10 large?

0d8eefd5.jpg

Dull wood finishes aren't your thing, okay I get that. How about this Krieghoff?

306d165b.jpg

I know what you want. You want the versatility of shooting both 12 and 20 gauges without having to get used to two different guns...amIright?

This two barrel set is for you!

e0be598d.jpg

Okay....okay.... Okay... This is it right here. Perfect for those occasions when you're spending two weeks in Argentina dove hunting, then gallavanting off to Maine for ruffed grouse, then to Arizona for chukar, and then finally easing into the South Dakota pheasant season. All four barrel sets stow neatly into a classic heirloom quality case that is still compact enough to fit in the cargo hold of your private jet.

c2b30d91.jpg

All joking aside, an 870 of just about any flavor will bust clays. Wingmaster, express, trap, etc.

The cheap bastard side of me rationalizes it this way... They are all just steel tubes launching about an ounce of lead shot contained inside a little plastic cup... How hard? Or high tech does it have to be? Or rather, jeesh, how expensive can they make it?

Yeah, there are some things like back boring and choke design that can influence performance and patterning, but to the average joe ... Meh, he's not going to notice, neither are the birds.

A local registered shoots will have plenty of options for you as mentioned above. The main question is, do you want to do anything else with it? Remington autos can be built for anything; change the stock, barrel, add extensions. etc. Beretta autos are a little nicer. older 303's , to the 391 and on are better sporting guns but limited to mods; no extensions like the M2. In the long run, Remington will be cheaper for you.

Remington 1100 with a 30" barrel and full choke. You'll smoke them. Make sure you pattern the gun first to get an idea how it shoots. You can also have the stock modified to fit you. Good stuff at a good price.

You will be a lot happier with something that has an adjustable comb. You'll be amazed how much it helps at the longer ranges to be able to adjust your POI a little bit. My first choice (in your position) would be an 1100 TRAP or a BT99, and you should be able to find either one with a moveable comb for under 1k.

For the money a used Remington 870tb or 870tc would be the best IMHO. The difference in the tb's and tc'c (which were designed as trap guns) over the regular 870's is that they have a higher comb which causes the gun to shoot high. You want this in a trap gun since you should be shooting the clay target while it is climbing.

The main difference between a tb and a tc is mostly cosmetics. The tc has slightly fancier wood.

If you decide you want a different trap gun or don't want to continue shooting trap you can usually sell the 870 tb or tc you bought used for about what you paid for it.

Jim

Come on down to Chills's bargain basement o' trap guns.

How about a used Perazzi MX10 for an even 10 large?

0d8eefd5.jpg

Dull wood finishes aren't your thing, okay I get that. How about this Krieghoff?

306d165b.jpg

I know what you want. You want the versatility of shooting both 12 and 20 gauges without having to get used to two different guns...amIright?

This two barrel set is for you!

e0be598d.jpg

Okay....okay.... Okay... This is it right here. Perfect for those occasions when you're spending two weeks in Argentina dove hunting, then gallavanting off to Maine for ruffed grouse, then to Arizona for chukar, and then finally easing into the South Dakota pheasant season. All four barrel sets stow neatly into a classic heirloom quality case that is still compact enough to fit in the cargo hold of your private jet.

c2b30d91.jpg

Well I decide on the four gun set and at $1000 / week I will have it paid off in a little over seven years, I hope I can still hold the gun and remember why I bought it. :roflol:

Thanks for all the serious and informative posts. I find myself leaning towards the Remington 1100 Trap model because of my arthritis and will shoot one belonging to a friend of a friend in the next week or two and see how it feels.

And you can use the 1100 for doubles, the 870 will work, and I've seen some awesome shooters using a model 12, but it adds something else to do in a very short amount of time.

The rem 1100 is a great way to shoot the game witout spending a truckload of $$. I'm not a serious trap shooter, but at one time wanted to be so I got an expensive krieghoff single barrel. Found out it wasn't my game and sold the krieghoff however kept my starter gun which was an 1100. I discovered I shoot trap better with that old remington and for my purposes never should have messed another gun. Also, as was stated if you want to mess with doubles or sporting clays it can handle that too with an inexpensive barrel change.

The only recommendateion I have is to get the 10 buck shell catcher plate you clip on the side of the ejection port.

enjoy!

I used to shoot a lot of ATA Trap. I have owned guns from Remington 1100 to Perazzi MT6 and shot about everything on the market at the time. My optimum setup was the 1100 TA for singles and an O/U for doubles. The auto will certainly work for doubles if you keep it clean but I liked the choke selection and admittedly the style of the O/U. But I found that a fixed breech gun like O/U, trap single, or pump tended to beat me up, even with one ounce loads. Manageable for 50 pairs of doubles, but no fun for 200 more singles and 100 handicap in a weekend. So the 1100 had a permanent home with me as others came and went. Other gas guns will work, too; but the Remington factory stock was a good fit, better for my build than Beretta or Ithaca.

The most important thing I can think of when getting into Trap is having the gun fitted to you. A couple of months ago I had my 1100 fitted to me. My field grade 1100 ended up with an adjustable comb, adjustable buttplate and a new recoil pad. A little work needed to be done for this left handed,one eyed shooter. The result has been shooting 24's from 16 yard position , 23's from the 20 yard position and I shot my first 20 from the 27 yard line last week. Having a properly fitted gun is #1 in my book. An 1100 that's fitted to you will do wonders.

• 2 weeks later...

Used should be had around Remington prices.

Beretta 390 with choke tubes so you can shoot any game, fixed choke guns are a minus at sale time if that ever comes, 30in bbl. good all round length, Chrome lined standard.

Barrel lengths for the games have gone up big time from when I started, 26/28in. o/u were the norm for skeet, now most shoot a 30/32in. o/u for skeet and once in a while see 34in. :wacko:

The stocks have some adjustment with supplied shims for cast and comb height.

I have shot all the games with it skeet, trap, sporting, crazy quail and zz bird.

I have burned up a couple box car loads of shells since about 1981 thru a batch of guns.

One of the softest shooting and well built autos out there, responsive not whippy. I have had em come and go this one stays.

I lone it to new shooters as not to beat them up with recoil and run them off, as if the cost isn't rough enough these days to do it. Don't see much youth coming in right now.

I have owned and shot the snot out of a bunch, Mossbergs to Remington to K=80s and this gun will do it all without a problem or handicap.

After a certain point you can't buy birds, you just look good missing, don't ask me how I know :roflol:

The ONLY down side is chasing hulls and a little more effort to clean as with all autos.

Good luck with how ever you go, try to shoot as many different guns possible before you buy it will save you a TON of cash.

Edited by Triggerbender