Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WIN231 for 40 S&W Major PF?

mrgreentie

I have about 5lbs of WIN231 laying around and I'm thinking of using it to load 180grain Precision Deltas for my Limited pistol. Is WIN231 worth it or should I buy a jug of Unique or SOLO 1000 and avoid the headache?

I'd use it. What headache could it cause? W231 is a great powder that works for 9mm, 40, 38, 45.. especially if you have it on hand already.

Solo is reverse temp sensitive and varies a bunch lot to lot.

Edited by DWFAN

I'd use it. What headache could it cause? W231 is a great powder that works for 9mm, 40, 38, 45.. especially if you have it on hand already.

Solo is reverse temp sensitive and varies a bunch lot to lot.

My only concern with WIN231 is pressure. I know I'd have to load near max recommended load to make major. Is this even a valid concern?

I would definitely use it up. I used to use HP38(twin of 231) with 180 grain lead/moly/jhp. my load was 4.7-4.8 grains at 1.180 oal with mix brass for 167+pf out of an Edge. not the cleanest powder but recoil impulse was OK. I would use up the 231 and then go get some Solo or N320 afterward.

Edited by blaster113

I found quite a bit of standard deviation while chronoing some 231 loads. IIRC, around 5.1 gr with a 180 MTG FMJ at about 1.190 was major in a 5" STI. I've found WST to be much more consistent with less variations when chronoing. I'd use up the 231 and look at other powders once its gone.