Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ken Tapp, anyone know what he's doing now?

shopgun

In the weeks before Second Chance he would shoot at Napanee and Michigan CityI never understood how I could beat him at these local matches and lose to him at Second Chance,I guess he was being nice,or just enough to win the chicken as Larry would say.

Edited by Rennie

That was my claim to fame. Beat him at MC and Napannee, well sorta. The guy had tremendous grip control. We were sitting around a campfire one evening and another group of shooters had raised a flagpole of a lodgepole pine about 4' in diameter at the base 75 to 100 yds away. Ken had an early laser training device on one of his guns and ran that laser up then down that flagpole stronghand and never lost the beam off that pole.

Tapp was a hell of a good pin-shooter. We all know about his success at Second Chance, but he also came out to Iowa a couple times to shoot the NAPSA Nationals. He would always arrive a week early and shoot tons of rounds on the range to practice and get ready. Ken would shoot and shoot and shoot--and the whole time his wife would be in the camper loading ammo for him! One thing I do remember about Ken--he never really looked like he was having any fun. It was all business with him.

He was just a helluva shot.....period! Finished 2nd at 1998 Bianchi with a 1920-173X! He walked away from there with about $6,500.00 that week! Ken & Doug Koenig were the only US shooters with a 1920 that year and there were only 4 total who shot that score. Man, was it fun to watch Ken shoot. He was in the Speed Shoot-off on Saturday (didn't do well) but he'd walk to the line all stoop-shouldered and slow. Then when the start signal came it was as if someone stuck him with a hot poker. The way he'd come to life and "hose 'em" was amazing to see!!

Alan~^~

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I am Ken Tapp's niece and he and Aunt Irene are in Oklahoma and doing well! And he is still shooting everything...especially grasshoppers! I talked to him not too long ago and they are doing well and enjoying the farm, but not the heat! I love hearing the stories about Uncle Ken (except he ones where he was beaten!!)! I've been trying to find a clip of him on YouTube but haven't had any luck! If anyone has a video of him shooting, I would love to see it! I will let him know that people are still thinking of him! My best to everyone and hope all is well with you.

Laryn Tapp Martin

ltappmartin0219@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at Second Chance during the late 80's and used to camp on site. Besides a great shot Ken saw me getting out of that water tower shower one day and said he was coming back at night with a couple of blocks of ice to put in there!

As I shot my way to master blaster we talked quiet a lot and we both agreed that our pistols worn out blue meant you were good.

Best story was at Hancock Cty. WV sectional. At the first round of the shoot off I got paired with Ken. Talk about luck of the draw, but I had shot a good match and was ready to take him on. On command we both made ready, I turned to look at him and he turns and gives me the worst possible stare you could imagine! Like something right out of the ol'west with two gun fighters about to go at it.

Buzzer goes off and we both missed one of the five plates, we both went back for it but he beat me to it by a tenth. Then we shook hands and he says "looks like we both fumbled through that one"

Ill never forget that look, was like looking at a rattler ready to strike and ill never look at an opponent before the shoot off again! My buddies were like "you almost got him!" "One tenth!" Pretty fine memory from 25ish some years ago :-D and its good to hear he's still droppin the hammer.

Edited by BuckeyeBoys

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I saw Ken Tapp burn down Barnhart the "Burner" on Man on Man at FIPT back in the early 90's. It was something to watch. Barnhart got him the first run, Jerry made some comment about Ken being slow as they changed sides and the match was on... Ken burned him down on the next two runs...

• 8 months later...

I remember Ken Tapp, Jerry Barnhart, Brian Enos, and all the rest of the bowling pin shooters at Second Chance in Central Lake. Michigan for the big annual June match. I never did well against the Master Blasters, but I was the king of the OSS shooters in 1990, winning the OSS Winchester Grand Championship Shootoff, I wrote a book about pin shooting the very next year. Time flies!

I was shooting pins in Waterloo, IA. I think it was the Nationals. Ken's gun broke so he walked over to Clark's table and says "my gun broke". " Take what you want" was the response. So Ken picks this 1911 off of the table that he had never shot before and wins the match. I have never seen anything like it before or after.

I was shooting pins in Waterloo, IA. I think it was the Nationals. Ken's gun broke so he walked over to Clark's table and says "my gun broke". " Take what you want" was the response. So Ken picks this 1911 off of the table that he had never shot before and wins the match. I have never seen anything like it before or after.

That is an awesome story all around!

one year at the Masters, maybe 1996 or so. I went one week early, just to practice the 22 event. BE won one of those years, I can not remember (sorry BE):) but Tapp and Koeing were already there shooting! Ken, had this old truck with a small camper on it and reloader inside. He would drive up the rifle range, load some ammo from his camper, shoot and check accuracy and then load some more and kept practicing that way.

another year at Golden Eagle match in Indiana, I saw him shoot at the shootoffs. He was done and holster before the other guy even finished his side of the steel plates!

A few years back, he had a 38 super comped SA on Gunbroker for sale. I reply to him something like ive seen those gun before and I knew of him but he did reply back and seemed a little unnerved that someone knew of him.

I remember Ken Tapp, Jerry Barnhart, Brian Enos, and all the rest of the bowling pin shooters at Second Chance in Central Lake. Michigan for the big annual June match. I never did well against the Master Blasters, but I was the king of the OSS shooters in 1990, winning the OSS Winchester Grand Championship Shootoff, I wrote a book about pin shooting the very next year. Time flies!

Mitch and Denny: Hell, I was there! ;-)

• 2 years later...

hey guys. i’m his great granddaughter. he lives in oaklahoma with his wife (my ma). he still shoots (he’s still very good. i’ve been shooting a 22 with him). he’s awesome. the only current photo i have of one is him with a snapchat filter lol. he takes me exploring in abandoned houses and we get firewood together. he’s still badass

F8B439EC-B3D7-4275-A5AC-C404372F1876.jpeg

hey guys.i’m his great granddaughter. he lives in oaklahoma with his wife (my ma). he still shoots (he’s still very good. i’ve been shooting a 22 with him). he’s awesome. the only current photo i have of one is him with a snapchat filter lol. he takes me exploring in abandoned houses and we get firewood together. he’s still badass.

That made me super happy to hear!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...