Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun reloading

GRP7099

Hi, I am new to 3-gun & have only shot 2 informal club level small matches. I have been shooting Cowboy Action for over 10 years and I'm very familiar with reloading my Winchester 97' pump on the clock. My question is, what is the rule on loading a shotgun during a 3-gun stage. Do I have to load my mag tube when empty or can I load and fire directly into my pump shotgun's chamber like I do in cowboy action?

You can do both, as long as its safe. One trick is to learn to reload on the walk/run as your moving from target to target. Also look into shell holders that fit on your belt, that way you can load 4 or 6 at a time, it will help speed up loading.

Yes you can drop one in the breech, if you need to take that one shot and your dry. It works if you have the one slug shot and miss, or it's in between stages of shot.

• 3 months later...

I find the load 2 or twins method easier for me but I still am trying to keep my options open and also practice weak hand just in case shooting position requires it

I agree. It is not just the position. Sometimes it is nice to have certain rounds (like slugs) on the belt or if you need a quick 2 shells I find I can do that from the caddie faster than setting up the gun for the load 2 for only 2 slugs. I can keep the gun on the shoulder, grab the shells from the caddie and load the 2 faster. Even if you end up grabbing more than 2 shells you can load the 2 you need and drop the others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

loading is my worst 3gun skill and costs me big time on the clock

whether i load left or right handed i always end up between 9-11 seconds for 8 shells loaded, which im sure is terrible

i havent tried load2 yet though. i use ap customs 4x4 caddies so i can carry as much as possible on my belt

Loading a shotgun on the clock is one of teh hardest three gun skills to develop so you should be way ahead of most folks. There are a number of different techniques. As longs as you are safe and smooth you will be fine. Most people loose as much time mounting and unmouting the shotgun as they do loading the rounds.