Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Power Pistol & 9mm

Steve D.

I see Hornady raves about consistantcy and accuracy of Power Pistol in the 8th Edit. relaoding manual as it relates to tested loads in 9mm. Does it make sense that this is the powder they are using in their own (very expensive) loaded amunition?

How do folks here like P-P in the 9mm loadings?

Thanks as always for your expertise and in-put.

SD

If you are looking for accuracy and speed, Power Pistol is the powder. Lots of flash, snappy recoil, but works great. I tested from 5.0 to 6.0 gr with a 124 JHP, and best accuracy was at 6.0, but the G17 was almost as accurate at 5.6 and the M&P at 5.4. Meters well and good standard deviation numbers. If you are looking for high performance 9mm this is the powder, if you are loading for minor to play uspsa and idpa games, use a faster powder like AA2, Tightgroup, N320 etc.

I see Hornady raves about consistantcy and accuracy of Power Pistol in the 8th Edit. relaoding manual as it relates to tested loads in 9mm. Does it make sense that this is the powder they are using in their own (very expensive) loaded amunition?

How do folks here like P-P in the 9mm loadings?

Thanks as always for your expertise and in-put.

SD

I don't know that much about what Hornady uses powder wise on all their loaded ammo but I believe WSF is one that is used by them quite a bit.

I have many Power Pistol loads, it's a great powder, clean, accurate and very linear with a wide load range. It does have a bit of a recoil impulse even when loaded fairly low. It is one of my favorites for knocking stuff down with a 9mm.

• 1 month later...

Power Pistol is what i use for 380,9mm,38spl/357magnum,.40cal,45acp and 44magnum.. for 9mm i use 5.3gr of Power Pistol 124gr.Hornady hp/xtp and or Montana Gold Bullets its snappy like others have posted nice ball of flame!