Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Measure

Tagging along as I am very interested in the answer. I have three of the older style am interested to see if it will correct the occasional bolt backing out that allows the case activated system to slip off the powder bar.

Tagging along as I am very interested in the answer. I have three of the older style am interested to see if it will correct the occasional bolt backing out that allows the case activated system to slip off the powder bar.

Easy to cure... use a nylon tipped locking nut on the other side of that screw. It will never come loose again.

Pat

I have the newest failsafe mechanisms on all my Dillon measures. They are a great safety device that works. Almost everytime I hear someone has a problem, it can be traced back to the blue wing nut being adjusted too loose. Follow instructions and it will work great. Unless you hesitate in the middle, or double stroke the handle, it is much harder to over or undercharge you cases with powder.

I wouldn't consider stepping backwards. They work as advertised, when properly adjusted.

I have the newest failsafe mechanisms on all my Dillon measures. They are a great safety device that works. Almost everytime I hear someone has a problem, it can be traced back to the blue wing nut being adjusted too loose. Follow instructions and it will work great. Unless you hesitate in the middle, or double stroke the handle, it is much harder to over or undercharge you cases with powder.

I wouldn't consider stepping backwards. They work as advertised, when properly adjusted.

"With respect, is there some data or proof you can offer that backs up your claim that," They are a great safety device that works", and "it is much harder to over or undercharge you cases with powder."? I agree that they work easier if adjusted correctly but haven't seen the proof for these types of safety claims. Just sayin.

I've "upgraded" one of my old-style powder bar retractors to the new failsafe mechanism a couple of years ago. Dillon offered it for free with some warranty work I needed.

I did not like the loud clank and the violent shake of the spring-loaded retractor.

The "upgraded" measure sits in the spares bin now.

I've "upgraded" one of my old-style powder bar retractors to the new failsafe mechanism a couple of years ago. Dillon offered it for free with some warranty work I needed.

I did not like the loud clank and the violent shake of the spring-loaded retractor.

The "upgraded" measure sits in the spares bin now.

Do a search for "fartknocker" ;) (seriously)

"With respect, is there some data or proof you can offer that backs up your claim that," They are a great safety device that works", and "it is much harder to over or undercharge you cases with powder."? I agree that they work easier if adjusted correctly but haven't seen the proof for these types of safety claims. Just sayin.

As I'm sure you are well aware, the "proof" is anecdotal. The cases of overcharging I hear and read about are caused by human error OR failure of the powder bar to return with the springs. The newest failsafe mechanism pulls the powder bar back. If the operator does their part, one source of failure is eliminated.

It's ok with me if you don’t want to use it, or even worse, want to disable a safety device that actually works. I don't shoot in the CT area.

As I'm sure you are well aware, the "proof" is anecdotal. The cases of overcharging I hear and read about are caused by human error OR failure of the powder bar to return with the springs. The newest failsafe mechanism pulls the powder bar back. If the operator does their part, one source of failure is eliminated.

It's ok with me if you don’t want to use it, or even worse, want to disable a safety device that actually works. I don't shoot in the CT area.

Anecdotal is fine. It's OK with me if someone "knows" that rubbing a rabbit's foot or carrying a four leaf clover makes them shoot better. As for me, I never disregard proven safety protocals and tend to resent any implication that I do. I started my post with the word "respect" and I would appreciate you returning the favor. As for shooting in CT, you are welcome at anytime.

Just ran a hundred rounds with the upgrade, the powder measure bounces around a lot more then using the springs.

Try tightening the blue nut more. Should be "some" play (as in NOT coil binding) when pushing the handle ALL the way forward.

Just ran a hundred rounds with the upgrade, the powder measure bounces around a lot more then using the springs.

Try tightening the blue nut more. Should be "some" play (as in NOT coil binding) when pushing the handle ALL the way forward.

Really?:surprise:

I've been adjusting mine for a slight crush fit at full extention.

Really?:surprise:

I've been adjusting mine for a slight crush fit at full extention.

As in "crushing" the spring? If so, that's way too tight. It may not affect you loads, but it's putting undo stress on a few parts. I'd try loosening it up until you can compress the spring a bit more with your fingers, when the handle is pushed all the way forward.

Edited by Alvarez Kelly

I'll stick with the springs, thank you very much.

Never had a problem.

Have had some issues when trying to use the rod.

Ive taken off that black metal arm that the rod goes into and made a flat piece of metal with a threaded hole for a screw to hold the primer advance spring in place. Just gives me some extra room when you need to reach into that area.

• 1 year later...

maybe I am slow to understand from reading the posts, it is not clear to me what the upgrades are and if I need them. can someone post some pics with explanation please. thanks.

maybe I am slow to understand from reading the posts, it is not clear to me what the upgrades are and if I need them. can someone post some pics with explanation please. thanks.

We are talking about the 2 piece fail safe linkage on the Dillon powder measures. It has been out for many years. Unless you have an old Dillon press, chances are good you already have the latest fail safe mechanism on your powder measure.

Hope that helps.

• 5 weeks later...