Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how long for book topics to kick in

skargoh

Knowing that multiple readings and some "sinking" in time is sometimes required...

How fast can you gain some benefit from reading a good how to book on shooting? Are the topics very deep that require cogitation and development or do some tend to click right away?

Just wondering, as I am about to delve into one for the first time.

Whike I have not read a shooting instructional book, I have read some other topics and found them helpful. Such as swimming and triathlon, and golf to a certain extent.

Curious as to your experiences.

Edited by skargoh

I guess I can understand that answer. But do some of he topics just "click"? I remember swimming lap after lap after lap after lap, and never getting much faster. Then after reading certain chapters about body position and drag, it all seemed to make sense. After some short eork in the pool, I was suddenly faster than my friends.

I attributed it to reading the book. These guys had been swimmig longer, and were much fitter than I.

Well... ya don't get much if you don't read them. Ya follow? :)

My first book on this stuff was Brian's. I immediately gave grief to my buddy that gave it to me...for not giving me the book sooner! I kept that book, and called Brian to order a replacement for my buddy.

When I first read Brian's book, it didn't make much sense to me. After shooting for a few years, I read it again and if was easier to understand. Then after more shooting and a third read, it really started to click. I have gone back to his book many times throughout the years and each time I find something new.

My advice is to read as many books as you can. Read them all the way through, even though some of the topics will make no sense to you at the time. Eventually, different things will "click" at different times. We often need only the simplest action to bring something very complex into focus. Good luck! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I'm often asked to recommend a book or two from my store to newbies. They're all good, for one reason, they're all on different topics. Personally, when I was on the learning curve, any book was worth its price, if I just gleaned one thing or idea to try out from it.

be

When I first read Brian's book, it didn't make much sense to me. After shooting for a few years, I read it again and if was easier to understand. Then after more shooting and a third read, it really started to click. I have gone back to his book many times throughout the years and each time I find something new.

My advice is to read as many books as you can. Read them all the way through, even though some of the topics will make no sense to you at the time. Eventually, different things will "click" at different times. We often need only the simplest action to bring something very complex into focus. Good luck! :cheers:

That's really good advice. It's well worth the time to go back and read a book again, it can be a completely new book. Definitely true of Brian's book. :cheers:

Kevin

Another book to add to your list is Mike Seklander's "your competition handgun training program. He covers everything from how humans learn to the mental, physical, vision,, dry fire and live fire things to do. He also has 2 DVDs which show how to execute each of the drills from all 3 phases of his 18 week training program