Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone got a 650 as a very first press?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have set up multiple 650's for first time loaders and have one myself, and have a couple of suggestions to anyone new to reloading and considering a Dillon for a first press. To those familiar with flying, I think buying a Dillon 650 for your first endeavor into reloading is kind of the equivalent of getting a Mooney for your first airplane. ;)

1. If you aren't REALLY mechanically inclined and/or have a readily available source of assistance from someone with progressive loading experience (preferably with Dillon) to get you through the speed bumps, seriously consider getting a Redding T7 (search on youtube if you want to see one in action; evidently I can't put links in my post as a new member) or equivalent first or with your Dillon. The turret press is highly affordable and allows you to directly see/engage the same conceptual circular assembly line process flow that progressive presses use only with far fewer variables going on, and while allowing easy modifications at any point.

2. If you fit the above but are the mechanical/engineering wiz (or have access to the aforementioned mentor) and want the Dillon as your first press, consider getting a T7, or similar turret press along with or as a compliment to your Dillon anyway. We buy the high speed, low drag Dillon machines for convenience, but they specialized to be convenient for mass replication of a load formula..not for developing it. That is where, I have found, turret presses seem to offer superior convenience for load development and low production run calibers. Just a thought...

-Raider

• 3 weeks later...

I have reloaded on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and also had a Piggyback progressive add-on for that press, so I had some experince with a progressive press. The Piggyback is somewhat tempermental, so I learned how to get it to run. I was not satisified with its performance, so I purchased a Dillon 650. Before purchasing I researched both the 550 and 650 machines. I asked Brian Enos for his recommendation and he recommended a 550 for me based on the the calibers and monthly volume that I load. I decided on the 650 because I wanted a case feeder that would work for both pistol and rifle cartridges. I was really tied up about going against BE's recommendation, but I am very pleased with the 650. I think that having prior experience with another manufacturer's tempermental progressive press and my mechaincal aptitude has helpded in the successful operation of the 650. I have also changed my reloading habits and increased the number of rounds that I load before changing calibers. My personal opinion is that if you have the mechanical capabilbity to understand the more complex machine and your are willing to pay more for the machine as well as caliber conversions, then the 650 can be a good choice for a first progressive machine. You might outgrow the 550, but you are not likely to outgrow the 650 unless you go big time in loading a bunch of rounds per month.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 650 two weeks ago and it is the first press I have ever owned. I took it slow and loaded my first 100 rounds of .45 APC the second day, and had no real problems. Keep your bullet puller handy you'll have a few high primers or maybe a skipped primer. You can re-seat the primers in after you have pulled the bullet and emptied the brass. "Don't do it with a live shell"

If your mechanically minded and take your time, operation of the 650 is pretty straight forward.

My first press was a 650 when they were brand new. Had primer issues (upside down) and got rid of it for what I paid for it.

Replaced it with a 550. Cost of conversions was another issue I had with the 650. I didn't have anyone to coach me on bench requirements; I was totally out there on my own.

I plan on getting my 550 rebuilt someday soon and going with a 1050 someday. My gun builder uses a 650 and loves it.

FM

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a 650 and had no problem setting it up. I used the instructions and a few You Tube videos to see how its done. I followed up with a second 650 and now have one for small primers and one for large primers. Makes caliber changes a breeze as the primer feed system is the most difficult item to set up with these.

Happy Reloading

• 3 months later...

So far everything that has been posted to you is fantastic . Having ordered an xl 650

with zero loading experience , but a lot of communication with seasoned loaders and

shooters my learning curve accelerated exponentially . There are few things I would add

to the last responder. I certainly agree with all the following ie?:

• Purchase the installation DVD
  • Purchase the spare parts kit - a must
  • Make sure that your press is level and clean
  • Do not overtighen anything - snug is sufficient
  • Get the strong mount - highly recommended
  • Get the optional roller handle - highly recommended
  • Avoid all distractions (music, TV, pets, etc.) when loading
  • Make sure that your press is stable - the strong mounts will also help
  • Make sure you get the station 3 powder check system - a must for safety
  • If your budget allows get a second primer punch assembly - primer conversions are a snap
  • When leaving the press for any reason ALWAYS leave the press handle in the down position so when you get back, you will ALWAYS properly seat the primer during the next cycle

Don't believe all the hype about how many rds you can process in 1 hour.

Without some accessory assistance initially and your not understanding the machine

and its glitches you WILL be slow. Speed isn't the essence, its accuracy and safety first.

There is definitively a learning curve that will take you maybe a year or two .

Some lof the initial glitches come from improper sorting the differences in the

same caliber category , meaning 9mm brass has some 1 time shot cases that may be

unusable. Sort out he 22's from the rest of the cases first . Also be very careful to

get rid of ther 40's, unless you are reloading them . THEY WILL TOTALLY SCREW UP

THE FLOW OF 9MM AND REQUIRE YOU TO TAKE APART THE DROP TUBE TO REMOVE THEM

. It is not neccersary to deprime most small handgun {pistol } brass before

reloading, unless you are doing extreme bench rest competition .

45 acp caliber recently has had two primer sizes coming from more than one factory .

The same size case can use either a small pistol primer or a large pistol primer , generally not a magnum

primer .

Check the web to see what others are using for your gun , primers, powder and loads.

If you have a range close at hand or something you can discharge into, fire about

10 rounds . . While setting up your 650, look at various manuals and measure your cartridges

carefully, oal, powder loads, primer insertion . A lot of embarrassment is saved by

the rds that don't go to battery, and or won't fire, ie: bad primers or primers too high, squib loads.

Sort em out at home .

Station 3 powder checker is a must to eliminate squib loads.

The caliper measuring device by Brian Enos is effectively the best for measuring

accurate loads. Originally I had ordered from Dillon 4-5 various caliber change over kits,

Not necessary .

I use the same small powder measure and holder for 9mm 38 spl, 45 acp .

Then I set up; another larger powder measure for rifle calibers needing more than 20 grs of powder ie

223 rem, 308 win, 30-06 and 30-30.

Dillon lube is definitely necessary for all cases, pistol and rifle, If you get a jam in a 1st stage die,

it will take time to remove it and hopefully not ruin a good carbide die .

Keep a small supply of depriming pins . They wil get bent and can be straightened, or replaced .

They are different for pistol vs rifle. Things other than warranted items by Dillon, that you

need to order can be bought for the same price by Brian but maybe 1/2 the postage .

Order also additional primer pickup tubes ,they will help you with production speed .

If the lever is difficult to move , STOP . A case could be jammed in the case locator,

a primer stuck in the side of the case plate or elsewhere.

What wil invariably break is the plastic ring indexer below the platform ,

requiring dismantling of the caseplate,

primer system, the main platform with a replacement from Dillon

Problem could go on for two more hours but I hope you get the point, enjoy the machine .

Call me if you can't get Dillon and need help .

Sincerely

Dr Merv Rosen

847-337-7274

Edited by mervalus

Ordered my first press this week...650XL from Brian.

I have been watching videos and reading all I can about setting up the 650. It honestly doesn't look like it should be to difficult if you take your time and use some common sense.

First reloader was a Mec for 12guage, then a Square Deal in .45. Did .223 on a single stage for a while, until I tried my friends's 650XL. Sold the square deal, bought a 650xl. Now I am onto my second 650xl.

A Super 1050 was my first press. So glad I went that route. It isn't difficult to understand what is going on at each station. Just take your time at first.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I started and learned reloading on a 650. Within a year I sold that and went to a 1050 due to the volume that Mrs. Blue & I shoot. The 650 was sweet but the 1050 is the bomb. In any event, don't be afraid of a 650 as a first press. Be patient, read the directions as many times as it takes and seek advice from other Dillon owners and it will be all good.

• 6 months later...

I got my 650, first press I ever owned. Have a friend has two 550 he really good at reloading teaching me how to reload, Started with a Lee reloader press single die. Lots of safety info on handling of Power, Primers Brass, Lots of info on books for proper loads. Learn how to deprimer on the lee press by hand .

Learn how to cut brass on a Hornady lock and load trimmer how to use tools for pocket clean and brush, Been at this with him for 3 weeks in the evening loaded on his 550 Dillon did good with it and his training was great not many people start like that I guess. This is why I got a 650 1 I don't have to load brass by hand its there on time hand on handle eyes on proper feed of brass, Note when you first start you need to turn the primer wheel 5-6 times to get you primer in line with brass , if you turn too many times it saves your new primer in a separate storage form the old primers nice I think any press that saves money is great. I bought the handle for my press then took it off after using it, I get a better feel on the primer installation with the ball handle fits my hand better feels smooth, You should have the primer alarm for sure , if you run out you got to reset your primer wheel handle up 1/2 way click 5-6 turns , Now power die set and properly set Do you know you can' turn the case holder backwards on the 650 it just won't do it, I like that . Helps with no double loads of power, with proper pushing forward on handle on each movement I can keep my eye on the power load of each casing after it when through the power checker this is nice. I get a clear look at the load again as I place the bullet in, Now the only problems I have is with the Large primer wheel I had a primer turn in the primer tube do to sloppy installation by me primer when in and turned on its side power spilled out of the bottom of casing on the primer wheel it stopped the turning of new primers wheel would move then back up {flake power} . well that's it for me I got some 9mm 223 and 45 acp ammo

After reading this forum for a few weeks I decided on a 650. My first reloading machine as I am new to the sport. I bought the set up video and have gone very slowly through the manual before ,during and after setup. I have had only one error with no powder charge after believing I had a primer inverted in the feed tube. I kept taking out every empty case to check. During this inspection I managed to miss load 3 cartridges.

A lesson learnt, distractions cause errors.

All in all I love the machine. I have ordered the micrometer attatchment for the power bar and now am deciding if the powder check die is for me.

Thanks for the great forum BE.

I too have just recently got my first press a 650. A bit overwhelming at first. But reading the Manuel and watching the video I think I'm ready to go. I'm having a guy stop by that has one just to see if things are set up right. I don't plan on running much yet as I have a bunch of stockpiled ammo I got before the rush. Reloading supplies are expensive now if you can even find them. But in on my way. Again bait intimidating at first

After reading this forum for a few weeks I decided on a 650. My first reloading machine as I am new to the sport. I bought the set up video and have gone very slowly through the manual before ,during and after setup. I have had only one error with no powder charge after believing I had a primer inverted in the feed tube. I kept taking out every empty case to check. During this inspection I managed to miss load 3 cartridges.

A lesson learnt, distractions cause errors.

All in all I love the machine. I have ordered the micrometer attatchment for the power bar and now am deciding if the powder check die is for me.

Thanks for the great forum BE.

I ordered my 650 with the Dillon Powder Check system and I have since gone on to the Hornady and the RCBS powder checkers. Of the three, and all three are MUCH better than no powder check system, I have decided I prefer the POWDER LOCK-OUT DIE as my #1 system to use. I have it set up on the tool head I use the most, .45ACP and the other two on my .38/357 tool head and .45 Colt tool head. I don't load anything of volume without some form of powder check system.

• 5 weeks later...

It was my first progressive press. Before I was loading 308's on a Forster Co Ax for precision shooting. I wish I didn't sell it, but I needed the $$ to fund the 650. Now all I load is 45 and 223

Don't be intimidated by it. There are a few moving parts but this forum and Dillon will answer all your questions.

One thing I do like about this forum is no body will belittle you for a question unlike other forums I won't mention.

Edited by Franco79

I have just taken delivery of the mini mr bullet feeder so I don't have a spare slot on the station. I now watch each case to see it has powder in it so I hope never to repeat the mistake.

You might consider a combination taper crimp seating die, RCBS, Hornady and Lee all make them. This way you can still run a powder check on #3

And about which powder check, I run a Hornady Powder Cop which will indicate even a minor variation in the amount of powder in a case. It just does it visually, no audible but I am OK with that. The Dillon powder check is designed only to warn you if the powder charge is grossly out of tolerance ie double or no powder, at least that is what is said by Dillon on page 23 of the manual for my XL650

The 650 is my first press and I am having fun learning with it and have plans to make some changes but more on that after I make them...