Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Footwork question

KungFuNerd

If you saw the most recent elimination challenge on Topshot...

There was a mobile barricade with a Porthole to shoot through.

The barricade moved to the right and shooter followed and shot targets at various ranges.

Both shooters were trying to Shuffle step sideways. One was trying to set and get a sight picture but the wall was moving too fast.

Would it not have been better to walk with the upper body facing the targets at a bit of an angle? I was always in Marching band as a kid and we had to do that a LOT...and if you bounced the Horn would slam into your lip.

I can see Shuffling sideways to make a shot ONCE but over and over?

What's the best Lateral movement?

I thought the exact same thing. For the exact same marching band reasons. The "Slide," as my particular band director called it, looks like it would have worked better.

I actually use quite a bit of marching technique in matches.

• 2 weeks later...

That elimination challenge is the ONLY one in all seasons that would have shown a significant skills difference between a GM or M level USPSA shooter and the rest of the contestants on Top Shot. It would have been a lot of fun to shoot that elimination challenge. As a Match Director I was thinking of ways to replicate a stage like that without spending a ton of money on a one time use prop.

Edited by CHA-LEE

That elimination challenge is the ONLY one in all seasons that would have shown a significant skills difference between a GM or M level USPSA shooter and the rest of the contestants on Top Shot. It would have been a lot of fun to shoot that elimination challenge. As a Match Director I was thinking of ways to replicate a stage like that without spending a ton of money on a one time use prop.

I envision a barricade on wheels rolling on a track and attached to the shooter via a belt harness. Area 8 had a cart on wheels rolling on a train track made of PVC pipes. Make it happen :)

I envision a barricade on wheels rolling on a track and attached to the shooter via a belt harness. Area 8 had a cart on wheels rolling on a train track made of PVC pipes. Make it happen :)

Attach a rolling barricade or wall with a port to a truck winch. The speed will be very consistent for each shooter.