Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejector Detonation w/pics

webbo

We had one at the State Match a few years ago. It did about the same damage to his hand, but the biggest chunk hit the guy in the abdomen and penetrated a good amount. It was a heavy chunk and (luckily) it hit his abdomen at an angle. It just went under the skin and skidded along the fat layer, never penetrating the abdominal wall. Considering the traverse distance that it traveled, it would've been ugly had it entered at a more straight-in angle.

And we're all glad that you're OK!

Edited by Braxton1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I'll give a next day update.

The bullet was recovered right where I was standing several hours after I left the range. Looks like it hit the ejection port on the way out, or it was pinched in the ejection port causing the cartridge to fire. If you look at the line in the grease in the second picture you can see where the case was touching the slide. At least that's what I think this is.

P1010223.jpg

P1010218.jpg

The gun, thankfully, appears to be fine. I cannot find any cracks or bulges. I might put a new ejector in because I'm a little scared of it now. Probably not though. I'm lazy.

My finger is healing nicely.

P1010228.jpg

Are certain pistols more prone to this? I have never heard of a live round going off during ejection. Is it an aftermarket ejector assembly or specific shape that causes this?

Guess I am just under the assumption that after the ejector flings the round sideways it is supposed to clear the pistol fully. Is it the slower slide speed from manual cycling that sort of causes this? I will always keep my hand clear after seeing your pictures, especially the X-ray. Thank you for posting your experience. It has already helped one person, me!

I hope you recover fully and fast!

1)Unfamiliar ammunituion

2)Round wouldn't chamber

3)Round "stuck" in chamber

Sounds like the overall length of the cartridge was too long. Have you had your bbl reamed to accept long loaded 40?

It sounds like the bullet engaged (and stuck to) the rifling prematurely.

What was the OAL of the ammo?

With the long ammo, it's possible the nose of the cartridge wasn't able to rotate out of the ejection port. The nose (bullet) may have bounced off the inside of the ejection port, screwing up normal ejection rotation and causing the primer to align itself with the ejector. BANG!.

It wasn't too long. I do think the brass was poorly sized, or it was just a bad piece of brass. I did run several of the cases through the chamber checker and they check out fine. It is a different bullet than I've used, I'll put a caliper up to it to check the diameter. I still think it was bad brass.

Best wishes for a speedy recover !!

I started shooting USPSA last year, and started covering the ejection port (SS) with my left hand as I was ejecting the chambered round when showing clear to be able to keep the round from dropping on the ground. I do know that with my particular Kimber, if the OAL on 200gr SWC is a little long, the nose will hang up on the barrel hood, becoming a prime candidate for a situation like yours. I have since fixed the OAL issue, and have broke myself of that bad habit. I've learned to use and love front slide serations. :cheers:

Edited by GregJ

Best wishes for a speedy recover !!

I started shooting USPSA last year, and started covering the ejection port (SS) with my left hand as I was ejecting the chambered round when showing clear to be able to keep the round from dropping on the ground. I do know that with my particular Kimber, if the OAL on 200gr SWC is a little long, the nose will hang up on the barrel hood, becoming a prime candidate for a situation like yours. I have since fixed the OAL issue, and have broke myself of that bad habit. I've learned to use and love front slide serations. :cheers:

Ah, the questions, though, are: do you use the front slide serrations over handed over the slide or under handed under the frame, and are you left handed? Take time to consider which way you have a tendency to tilt the gun. Does the direction have a tendency to have the primer come in line with the ejector should you have broken or weak extractor?

Had a club member mention seeing people covering the ejection port quite often during our Jan. match so during shooter's brief at the Feb. match I had warned about the possibility of a detonation. Some thanked me and changed what they were doing, others I am sure did not.

I got warned about it the other day. I've never seen it happen in 9mm but with my luck I'd be the first one.

I'm just gonna let it fall... :eatdrink:

I have seen people slap the rear of the slide when a round fails to chamber - a practise that I have never understood. It is safer to eject the round in question and chamber a fresh round.

HEal up quickly - I/m glad it was not worse.

Edited by TonyT

I have seen folks rack the slide fast in order to make the round jump, so they could catch it with style before showing their empty chamber.

Would this behavior be a bad idea after all?

Heal up quickly.

Hope the insurance does not give you a bad time. I had a motocross injury which a health insurance refused to cover because it was "hobby-related" and a related to a mechanical sport. Bubble wrap society, etc...

OUCH!!!!

OK, Lesson learned, never clear a jam of any type by putting the hand over the efection port, and, as previously said, don't mess with a F...G uncooperative round, clear it and too bad, it,s a few cents on the ground.

Wow, twice in a week, we had this happen to a guy on his second stage of my clubs classifier match last week. he got away with minimal damage, not quite as bad as yours. I'm glad to see you're both (relatively) ok, having a bullet go off just about in your hand could turn out a lot worse.

I used his case as an example in a IPSC class I was helping teach over the past weekend and when we got to the range some of the students actually remembered to keep their hands clear of the port while unloading. some didn't, and you can't expect people to instantly un-learn something they've been doing for a while but hopefully as people see posts like this one they can make an effort to remember and keep clear.

hope you heal up and are back on the range quickly!

I had a similar experience many years ago. I had changed bullets and even though the oal was fine, these would stick in the chamber at ULSC.

I knew about keeping my hand away from the ejection port so I would clear these by pinching the front serrations with my weak hand from the underside and doing the smack/whack to the rear of the gun under the grip safety with the web of my strong hand. The law of averages caught up to me one day and a round went off. Although my hands were spared any injury, I still have a small piece of brass shrapnel in my chest. I recovered the blown case, but could not find the bullet.

Edited by lumpygravy

Yes, they are legal on Limited guns, but most of the slide rackers I've seen install into the dovetail that the rear sight goes into. I think given a choice between a rear sight or a slide racker, most people would choose a a rear sight. :-)

this was happening to me too. I dont know why..3 time , with the one of last saturday.

I cant understand what is working bad.

Or what hit the primers.

Did u undestand what happened?

I tryed to remove the long firing pin, being back to normal one.

this was happening to me too. I dont know why..3 time , with the one of last saturday.

I cant understand what is working bad.

Or what hit the primers.

Did u undestand what happened?

I tryed to remove the long firing pin, being back to normal one.

The loaded round that you are trying to extract (pull out of the barrel), and eject (exit the gun) doesn't have clearance to get out of the gun without getting jammed up.

The round starts to exit the gun, but the nose of the bullet comes in contact with the forward edge of the ejection port. As the nose jams into the ejection port, the rearward motion of the slide pushes it into the ejector...exposing the primer to be ignited by the ejector.

All of this requires enough energy to set off the primer (you are supplying that energy by pulling back the slide briskly).