Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Factory Extended Slide Stop Problem

Chuck D

I have a 4th Gen G17 that I use for IDPA so the ability for the slide to lock back when the gun is empty is rather important.

I installed a Glock Factory extended slide stop. The slide will lock back all day long when you insert an empty magazine and rack the slide.

The 3 times I needed to perform a slide lock reload in today's match, the slide closed on an empty chamber.

The slide stop is installed correctly, that was the 1st thing I checked and I don't believe i'm coming into contact with it during the firing process.

This NEVER happened with the original slide stop.

...any suggestions as to how to fix this ?

As always...Thank You !

If the original slide stop was working, why do you need the extended slide stop?

Anyway, so the slide was locked back, but as you are putting in a fresh mag the slide closes? Or is the slide closed after you fire the last shot?

Edited by Skydiver

...I can reach it w/o shifting my grip.

I'm going back to it but it's driving me bonkers as to why the factory extended release isn't working properly

fire 11 rounds. empty mag slide closes on an empty chamber.

Edited by Chuck D

If you reload your own ammunition, it's very easy to come up with a load that makes the IDPA power floor, but doesn't move the gun around as violently in your grip. For USPSA, it made a huge difference on my G-34 with an extended slide stop. I stopped accidentally bumping it when I found a nice soft shooting load.

Check to make sure your not riding the release ie keeping it pinned down when shooting. Try this with your thumb nowhere near it to see if it still does it. If so, go back to the factory or adjust grip

+ 1

If you reload your own ammunition, it's very easy to come up with a load that makes the IDPA power floor, but doesn't move the gun around as violently in your grip. For USPSA, it made a huge difference on my G-34 with an extended slide stop. I stopped accidentally bumping it when I found a nice soft shooting load.

Along this same line are your loads possibly just weak enough that the slide is not cycling that last tiny bit? Try it with some factory stuff and see what happens.

Along this same line are your loads possibly just weak enough that the slide is not cycling that last tiny bit? Try it with some factory stuff and see what happens.

I use factory Federal 147g ammo.

The extended release is the devil. I take a stock release and chop it in half to get it out of the way of my weak hand grip.

Problem solved. I could have sworn I wasn't coming into contact with the slie stop but guess what...

The extended one is out, the flat one is back in. All is again well again.

Thanks everyone !

I love that analogy..."the devil."

Edited by Chuck D

After a few years of swearing by the extended releases, I've gone back to the originals. I didn't have any problems not locking back with a 17 or 34, but every once in a while my 19 wouldn't lock back. On a timer, it makes no difference for me on my reloads so out the extended parts went.