Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So i was just checking out a well known flashlight company that also makes the 100 round mag.

Why the hell are there flashlights from 200 to 500 bucks and how do they charge 450 something for a dam knife. are you kidding me. it better do more than just cut stuff if you get what i'm putting down :blush: .

I always knew there stuff was expensive, but not that bad :surprise: .

Sorry just had to come on here and vent a little.

On another note check out the Swiss Army knife that is 1k. it is 10" long by pretty wide and had some 400 tools on in. Someone found it on amazon.

Little girl: Buy some lemonade Mr?

Man: How much is it.

Little girl: $50 per glass

Man: You won't sell much at that price.

Little girl: At this price, I only need to sell one glass.

Dude, made me choke on my cereal. :roflol:

yeah i know they are great flashlights. i have a couple that i have picked up here and there. can say that i would have purchased one at that price. i just think 400 bucks on a flash light is a little out there. and 500 for the knife is way the hell out there. there a other knives that i would buy that are half the price and better IMO.

that was pretty funny about the little girl commentary.

Not only that, but this company has a very strict "absolutely not discounting, no even one penny" policy. Get caught discounting their stuff, and you will be immediately cut off as a supplier.

But, it's first rate equipment, and they provide excellent warranty support.

I don't know much about their knives but their lights are the HK of lights...IMO.

Overly expensive? roflol.gif

HK. Because you suck, and we hate you.

:roflol:

:sight:

I mean when you really break it down it is only doing the job of a old torch, with a stick and rag...provides light and you can whack some one if needed. I think I'd go for the cocobolo torch please. :devil:

NO COMPROMISE

I do not own one but could we not say that part of the price is due to the ruggedness of the design and the abuse it is cabable of taking and still working? My brother in las was military and he told me that his unit used a expensive light but that was because it always worked and he stressed always. I guess it just matters how much abuse you think you will give it and how much it matters to you that every time you want it to work it works. If my life was going to be affected by my light working or not working I do not think price would be the first thing on my mind.

I took a Strider EB-L off the Area 4 prize table a few years ago. When I got home I learned that they went for $375 new. I must say that I have never had a knife that felt as robust as that one. I'm not saying I would pay for one, but the quality was there.

If you have to ask why it is so expensive - you are not our target market...

That's fine, my lights from Hong Kong, which cost $14 shipped halfway around the world, are just as good, and cheap enough that I don't care about the warranty.

I would only buy a flashlight that expensive if it came with a rich Corinthian leather belt pouch and a supermodel to carry it for me.

:cheers:

For $500 she better be carrying something more interesting than my flashlight. :devil::D

That's fine, my lights from Hong Kong, which cost $14 shipped halfway around the world, are just as good, and cheap enough that I don't care about the warranty.

and they use readily available and cheap batteries

yeah, I have an E2Defender. I got it at Cabela's. It retailed at around the $100 or $110 mark. If you happen to know somebody in the military they can get the same light at the military clothing sales store for about $80.

Coleman makes something very similar to the E2Defender, but it takes 3 triple A batteries instead, and is actually LED. The Coleman light can be had for about $18 at Wally World:

2000004481_500.jpg

Blasphemy...

I understand that a good expensive whatsit will usually out perform and out last a cheap whatsit 9 times out of 10. Sometimes it makes sense to spend the extra money and get something really good. And I think that most people here share that opinion - at least they seem to.

But there are cases where you just have to wonder why something is so expensive. It may just be that we are not educated enough to appreciate the value in a good flashlight. And I don't mean that sarcastically (well, maybe just a wee little bit). If I carried a flashlight for a living, I might have a better appreciation (did it again, didn't I).

For example, I remember years ago when some company was trying to break into the police and security flashlight business and they brought out a really sturdy heavy flashlight that could also be used like a billy club for self defense. The argument went that if you tried to beat up a perp with a regular flashlight, it would likely break and you'd have to buy a new one. Whereas you could beat up any number of perps with theirs and it would keep on working. I suppose there is some logic to that (still doing it, aren't I).

I suppose the best thing would be to go to a flashlight forum and ask the flashlight nuts aficionados what they think (gawd, I just can't help myself).

Edited by Graham Smith

Everyone has their "thing", for us it is a competition firearms and all the accessories (not to mentions travel expense). Some people have boats, planes whatever.

No matter the market free enterprise will step in and provide the consumer who wants to overspend the product they want (notice I did not say need).

I have a friend who is really into flashlights and has several flashlights that each cost more then a new open gun. Not to mention custom built ones that will do

crazy things like set newspaper on fire at 18" and give sun burns.

All a matter of whats important to you.

So i was just checking out a well known flashlight company that also makes the 100 round mag.

Why the hell are there flashlights from 200 to 500 bucks and how do they charge 450 something for a dam knife. are you kidding me. it better do more than just cut stuff if you get what i'm putting down :blush: .

I always knew there stuff was expensive, but not that bad :surprise: .

Sorry just had to come on here and vent a little.

On another note check out the Swiss Army knife that is 1k. it is 10" long by pretty wide and had some 400 tools on in. Someone found it on amazon.

What type of light do you carry SS+P?

I will not try to change anybody's mind on this subject, but they are designed to do things (survive exteme conditions and treatment) that a cheaper light won't do. If you don't need them to do these things, good for you. A less expensive version will serve you well.

These lights cost pretty close to what it takes to make them, (including Design, R&D, and custom production) and then turn a profit. I have a few inexpensive flashlights that take normal batteries and they do a good job in most applications. I also have several surefires, both handheld and weapons lights. None of my cheaper flashlights can be depended on to do the job they do and I would not stake my life on any of the cheap ones. The surefire brand is not the only high end light company, but they are an industry giant. My experience with them isn't meant to disparage any particular brand.

Use the right tool for the job at hand. This really is comparing apples to oranges.

:cheers:

P.S. A full size Streamlight (metal) SL-20 flashlight makes an EXCELLENT impact weapon. And will still work after.

:devil:

edit cause I can't spell tonight

Edited by whistlepig