Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington R1 1911 Enhanced .45

DsWright

pretty sure the remingtons are 80 series if that makes any diffarnce to you. I personally would find something 70 series

Im ok with 80 series. The one that i fondled in the local fun shop had an exceptional trigger, compared to the springers and kimbers i have seen. biggest problem i have is nobody locally has an STI for me to fondle and see what i think.

• 2 months later...

pretty sure the remingtons are 80 series if that makes any diffarnce to you. I personally would find something 70 series

I'll double check but I'm pretty sure the Remington uses the same firing pin safety system as the Kimber which is a Schwartz system, not the Colt series 80 system.

• 1 month later...

I'll double check but I'm pretty sure the Remington uses the same firing pin safety system as the Kimber which is a Schwartz system, not the Colt series 80 system.

1911 Remington uses Colt series 80 system (safety block is disengaged by the triger), not S&W1911 and Kimber's Swartz system.

In all honesty ... after owning one .... I wouldn't buy another.

Save a little money and get a Ruger SR1911 if that's the range of gun you want.

If money isn't a factor then go with a Kimber Custom TLE II or Custom Stainless II. You won't be disappointed.

I won one at the Carolina Cup and it's pretty nice. I can't said anything from a function standpoint since I've never fired it, but it's much better LOOKING than my Spartan. The Spartan has machining marks everywhere, and the R1 has only a few very slight ones. That said, I'm keeping my Spartan since it's already setup, and selling the R1 to help fund a 2011.

If money isn't a factor then go with a Kimber Custom TLE II or Custom Stainless II. You won't be disappointed.

Recently a friend of mine bought some KImbers. That is more than just two. He sent both back numerous times for various issues. Each time the guns came back the same or worse. Finally, Kimber gave him his money back. This is after my father raved about his old Kimber that never has any issues and is pretty accurate. So, I think IF I were to buy one, it would be with some serious reservations.

Recently a friend of mine bought some KImbers. That is more than just two. He sent both back numerous times for various issues. Each time the guns came back the same or worse. Finally, Kimber gave him his money back. This is after my father raved about his old Kimber that never has any issues and is pretty accurate. So, I think IF I were to buy one, it would be with some serious reservations.

Oh come on! No offense, but you actually think I'd believe that! :rolleyes:

If you don't like Kimbers just say so. Don't make up a story to prove your point! :roflol:

I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but I find it hard to believe.

Edited by roostershooter

Oh come on! No offense, but you actually think I'd believe that! :rolleyes:

If you don't like Kimbers just say so. Don't make up a story to prove your point! :roflol:

I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but I find it hard to believe.

I'm inclined to believe JimmyZip. Most of the Kimbers I've seen that were built in the past few years are/were junk. They were unable to finish a match without one or more problems. Most of the ones I see on the "casual" range also have some trouble.

I've shot 200+rounds with my R1 Enhanced in the local USPSA match today. No problems whatsoever. I can’t say the same about shooters with "Kimbers". I don’t want to say that Kimbers are bad, but every brand has it’s flaws. It seems like the common problem with any brand is when people do too much of customizing and move away from the original Mr. J.M. Browning design.

1911 R1.Enhanced is good quality for the money you’re paying. The only things you might want to replace are the grips and front sight. And maybe, add magwell. So, I’m +1 for 1911 Remington Enhanced.

post-27759-0-13353100-1341192697_thumb.j

I have a 10 year old Kimber gold match and its a tack driver with zero problems many rounds down range over the years. Cant say anything about the newer ones but I do think something changed with ownership etc...

There seem to be a lot of good options and opinions on budget 1911's and that is a good thing.

I SO at a couple of IDPA matches every month and a couple of State matches every year and I get to see a lot of guns close up.

I think the Taurus 1911 is pretty ugly with all that writing on them but two guys I shoot IDPA with have them and they have had no problems at all.

I have a Kimber 3" and it has worked flawless with all kinds of ammo including my SWC reloads and my friend is running one this year in IDPA, an all steel tactical model and he has yet to have a malfunction during a match. I guess there are roses and lemons from every manufacturer.

I would like to actually see a Ruger SR1911, they are mythical around here. The Remington has some good reviews on different gun forums but they say the finish wears off really quick.

STI's have a good following but like anything else you can have problems with it too.

There seem to be a lot of good options and opinions on budget 1911's and that is a good thing.

I SO at a couple of IDPA matches every month and a couple of State matches every year and I get to see a lot of guns close up.

I think the Taurus 1911 is pretty ugly with all that writing on them but two guys I shoot IDPA with have them and they have had no problems at all.

I have a Kimber 3" and it has worked flawless with all kinds of ammo including my SWC reloads and my friend is running one this year in IDPA, an all steel tactical model and he has yet to have a malfunction during a match. I guess there are roses and lemons from every manufacturer.

I would like to actually see a Ruger SR1911, they are mythical around here. The Remington has some good reviews on different gun forums but they say the finish wears off really quick.

STI's have a good following but like anything else you can have problems with it too.

It's nice to see someone else has something nice to say about the Taurus 1911. But to call it ugly!!! Really! :)

Anyway, I have shot hundreds of rounds through mine which I have had for several years. I shoot my reloads, and I have never had a problem of any kind. No FTFs, stovepipes, FTEs or any other failures.

Plus, I love all of the extra features that would probably cost $1000 if added to any other stock 1911, and the Taurus only cost me about $600.

Jim

Edited by harleypilot

• 2 months later...

I won one at the Carolina Cup and it's pretty nice. I can't said anything from a function standpoint since I've never fired it, but it's much better LOOKING than my Spartan. The Spartan has machining marks everywhere, and the R1 has only a few very slight ones. That said, I'm keeping my Spartan since it's already setup, and selling the R1 to help fund a 2011.

I recently won one at the IDPA East Coast Championship, and I agree that's it's pretty nice, but I'm not sure I'm ready to move away from my plastic gun just yet, and I have a friend who's interested in picking up another 1911 (for his teenage son).

Can anyone explain to me why the Remington R1 1911 Enhanced has an MSRP of $940? And is the street price that high?

thread drift? I will never own a kimber. I have buddies who eat, breath, and defecate them, but i have also worked on a couple.... my money would go towards custom shop job. I know, kimber has a custom shop, but it is my money.

edit to add:

under 1500$ STI trojan + whatever parts and mags

over 1500& = custom job

Edited by wes777

Before I bought one, I'd go through it with a fine-toothed comb....

I was at a gun show last weekend and a dealer had an R-1Enhanced. The front sight was a fiber-optic unit that looked like a Dawson.

The front sight was ON BACKWARDS from the factory. I kid you not....

• 2 months later...

The original Series I Kimbers were very nice reliable guns. I can't say the same for the Series II. You really will be hard pressed to find a gun more reliable or ready to go out of the box than the STI Trojan. I have several Wilson's, a STI USPSA Edition 1911 and an STI Trojan. If I was in the market for another 1911 I would be seriously considering another Trojan. In my opinion it is alot of gun for the money.