Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manny Bragg's (Universal Pro shop) New Holster

Matt P.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks interesting... I like to see all this innovation in holster design cheers.gif

From the pictures, you'd guess that the hanger was kind of bulky, but the video makes it look a little smaller. The only thing that jumps out at me is that if you position the holster closer to your body, that cross bar might become an issue on the outside of the holster - would have to play with one to ascertain whether it would be or not...

Looks interesting... I like to see all this innovation in holster design cheers.gif

From the pictures, you'd guess that the hanger was kind of bulky, but the video makes it look a little smaller. The only thing that jumps out at me is that if you position the holster closer to your body, that cross bar might become an issue on the outside of the holster - would have to play with one to ascertain whether it would be or not...

Dave,

I will be the first to admit that i am not the best photographer. i think the holster is pretty darn slick and i can understand everyone's concern about this or that. A picture or video just doesn't really represent it. To hold one, install one, and use one is just another story. For me, the CR Speed simply just jabbed my thigh and restricted my movement and let's face it, was not the most secure holster.

I liked the DAA at first but for "ME" If I didn't draw perfect each time, it would get hung up on something. I was pondering switching back to the CR Speed because of that.

Universal Pro Shops new holster really addressed all of the issues I had. Nothing sticks or jabs me, when it is all screwed down, nothing will ever move on you (My DAA had a habit of that) . And your gun comes out clean and smooth reliably each and every time while the magnets secure the gun while unlocked.

to me, it's substance is what also makes it. It just plain "feels" good to reholster. You have the sense of security on a solid platform.

I put the pictures out there to just simply inform people that there is another viable option.

as usual in this sport, it's what works for you.

For me, the CR Speed simply just jabbed my thigh and restricted my movement and let's face it, was not the most secure holster.

And it'll shoot your gun for you in the right circumstances! ph34r.gif I don't plan on going back to a CR Speed ;)

I liked the DAA at first but for "ME" If I didn't draw perfect each time, it would get hung up on something. I was pondering switching back to the CR Speed because of that.

My experience suggests that what happens in that case is that the holster is just slightly out of optimal position - and the adjustment that got me for a little while was the "distance from the body" adjustment. I had the holster about 3/32" or so too far away, and that would cause me to bind it up occasionally. Moving it inboard just a scoche resolved it completely. Just FWIW...

Universal Pro Shops new holster really addressed all of the issues I had. Nothing sticks or jabs me, when it is all screwed down, nothing will ever move on you (My DAA had a habit of that) . And your gun comes out clean and smooth reliably each and every time while the magnets secure the gun while unlocked.

The DAA won't move if you put some force on the screws. I slammed it into a wall twice in the span of one day at the Double Tap last year. I bent the rod with the ball on it because everything else was held so tight. Crazy...

The hanger on the USA holster would see to have an advantage in keeping the holster bits off your leg, due to how the hanger attaches further forward on the belt and holds the holster toward the rear. That's a cool idea.

And your gun comes out clean and smooth reliably each and every time while the magnets secure the gun while unlocked.

to me, it's substance is what also makes it. It just plain "feels" good to reholster. You have the sense of security on a solid platform.

I'll be interested to see one in person ;)

I like it, it draws clean no catches.I had a Ghost I liked the draw but I always fought the safety.The safety on the USA is very easy to use and secure.I also bought the optional paddle for the USA Holster that goes against your leg.The first thing I did was countersunk the two screws that go against your leg and I also like it and glad I purchased it when I bought the holster.The magnets are strong and hold the gun good with the safety off.The adjustments cover everything as far as the holster position I did Locktight all the screws.I have a match this weekend and will try and do a follow up.Just my 2 cents and I'm not an expert,Joe

The hanger on the USA holster would see to have an advantage in keeping the holster bits off your leg, due to how the hanger attaches further forward on the belt and holds the holster toward the rear. That's a cool idea.

That seems precisely backwards to me. I don't know about how you squat, but my legs go forward & out to the sides just a bit. That hanger is pretty big & beefy & it looks like it would make squatting uncomfortable for those of us that are thick of thigh.

Judging by the video, if I were to get one, I'd be reversing the plate that attaches to the hanger & the plate that goes from that plate to the spacing plate on the gun so that the hanger would be closer to my gluteus medius & the holster would be forward, where I draw from. Unlikely that that'll happen, though, as I'm pleased with my DAA (my progression was from Limcat to Guga to DAA).

Sorry in advance for the drift. But in that video of the SLB holster, the first holster with USA on it, shows the butt being dislodged and exposing the trigger even though the gun is retained.

That's a dropped gun.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=50

even though the gun is retained....hence not dropped.

:sight:

Not according to the ruling I cited.

competitor's gun is partially dislodged from his holster while outside a COF, and the competitor "traps" the gun in the holster (trigger not exposed), he may do so without penalty. The competitor should immediately proceed to a safety area and address any necessary equipment issues.

IS the trigger completely exposed...completely?

: If a competitor's gun is partially dislodged from his holster while outside a COF, and the competitor "traps" the gun in the holster (trigger not exposed), he may do so without penalty. The competitor should immediately proceed to a safety area and address any necessary equipment issues. If the competitor's gun has left the holster (trigger is exposed), the gun must be treated as dropped. Even if the competitor is able to "trap" the gun before it falls to the ground, he must safely and securely lower the [/b]gun to the ground in accordance with 10.5.3.1 and call for an RO to safely retrieve it as per 10.5.14. Note that drawing and/or handling a firearm outside a safety area remain prohibited actions subject to DQ per 10.5.1

I would argue the gun has NOT left the holster...the trigger is not completely exposed. :unsure: Many race holsters can leave a very small part of the trigger visible...even 1/8th at the top, would you say it is exposed and unsafe? I should then finish unholstering it and put it on the ground? If I did would I then be DQ'd? IF the gun can not be retained in the holster then obviously we would stop and rectify it with the aid of an RO. IF I can continue to walk to the safety area...I would do so immediately and fix it.

Interesting topic though...although off the OP intentions. :unsure:

I guess the definition of "left the holster" has to be defined.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I picked one up yesterday to try. It seems very solid . I talked to Manny at the Open he said that they hold the gun tight untill you need to draw. He snatched his belt around with his gun holstered. It stayed in place.It has roller magnets the pull the gun into holster when reholstering. Three positions, locked, 1/2 lock,and ready to tp draw. And it has an optional pad to stop the holster from rubbing your thigh when running the stages. Beefy piece. :cheers:

Got one in the other day for Ms. Neomet. Initial impressions are that I like it. It is absolutely, positively the most secure holster in the unlocked position. The only way it is coming out is if you push up on the barrel like if you sit in a chair and the barrel hits the seat and moves the gun upwards. It draws very quickly and it does have more tolerance in the side to side angle that the gun is drawn from the holster. The adjustments are different, that is for sure. Every adjustment only modifies one plane. Some folks like ball joints, but I am not a fan. I like having 4 allen screws securing each direction of travel. But that is just me.

It does sit the gun further back than the other race holsters in relation to where it mounts to the belt. Not an issue for me, but it is different. I'm not fond of the exposed threads where it mounts to the belt. I am going to probably get some cap nuts to screw down on those.

The dominant thing though, and I can't say this enough is how secure the gun is. Locked is a locked and unlocked is very secure. When reholstering you know you have reholstered. None of that feeling around like with a Ghost because you don't want to take your hand off and have the gun fall because it was not all the way down in the holster.

I'm impressed. Now Manny just needs to make one for my TS. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. 4 matches and a couple practice sessions and Ms Neomet is feeling nuthin' but love for this holster. It hasn't twitched from where we set it, it draws very easily and continues to be the most secure holster in an unlocked position and the easiest to reholster into of any of the current race holsters. By far.

• 2 weeks later...