Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental game

a matt

In my opinion it's about 50% mental. Your attitude, your self-image, your ability to concentrate and focus on the present task at hand - not dwell on the past or worry about the future (in regards to each stage & each target) , and the ability to form a plan - stick to the plan - and quickly modify the plan should it go South, are all very important aspects of the mental part of this game.

One of the best teachers on the subject I've ever seen is Saul Kirsch. His DVD Mastering "The Mental Game" is superb in learning to handle this, and hopefully someday even master it. :)

How much is the mental condition apart of the game ? Is it because of fatigue, memory, attitude? I'm tring to see where I stand. To me work is where the stress is at. Lol.

The higher you climb in the ranks of shooting, the more your satisfaction with your shooting is going to depend on your mental game. The more time, money, and energy you invest in this game the higher the stakes get for you. High stakes mean higher stress levels and that means you need a stronger mental game.

like lanny bassham says shooting is 100% mental and 100% physical at the same time. I agree the more you progress in the game the more taxing it can be mentally, only if you let it. I am trying to master the mental game by constantly working on it in everything i do in my life.

In my opinion it's about 50% mental. Your attitude, your self-image, your ability to concentrate and focus on the present task at hand - not dwell on the past or worry about the future (in regards to each stage & each target) , and the ability to form a plan - stick to the plan - and quickly modify the plan should it go South, are all very important aspects of the mental part of this game.

One of the best teachers on the subject I've ever seen is Saul Kirsch. His DVD Mastering "The Mental Game" is superb in learning to handle this, and hopefully someday even master it. :)

Each target. I like that. I don't think I've ever viewed it that way. Nice! I think I've always viewed the stage as a whole. When you put it this way it drives home the importance of every shot. Hmmm.

I am just an average shooter. I usually do the plate rack very well. I spent a lot of time with plates in the past. My confidence was high when it came to plates.

For whatever reason, my gun starting shooting low in a practice session before WSSSC. Could be the ammo, the massive cleaning it underwent, ME. Who knows.

I upped the sights and it was still a little low. I went back to the range a few days later to verify its POI. Again, something was amiss. Me, the gun, whatever.

I fretted about this problem before the match. My extra shots were all on plates. And I was still shooting low.

So the mental game was big part of me not meeting expectations.

• 4 weeks later...

Guns, gear and gadgets, lord know I love em but [for me] the mental side of training and competition is where it's at. There is soooooo much cool stuff to consider in brain function science and psychology and how it relates to 'your' approach it's truly amazing.

After 20+ years away from the pistol sports, I really can't wait to apply the 'mental' side of things that I've learned in my time away while competing in other sports.

Everyone's different but I believe the mental side of training/competition is super important even for novice shooters.