Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Physical fitness level

lawboy

Has anyone noticed that their current level of physical fitness has any positive or negative impact on their mental game? I have noticed that I am mentally more confident when I am in shape, and I believe I can do things physically better than I can when I am out of shape. I think being fit enables me to take chances physically on the course of fire that I don't/won't take when I feel out of shape.

Anyone else experience this?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely true in my experience. It's more than just confidence that I can do things physically, though. Because I'm so much more resilient through the day, being out in the elements, I have a lot more fuel in the tank to run the body, and feeling like I have energy (and retaining mental energy, too) leads to better mental game performance, as well...

There is no doubt that our bodies are better able to focus and handle stress if they are physically fit. I injured my foot last spring and have just recently begun to get back into shape. I know I focus more on shooting if I'm not worrying about being out breath, hurting,or wondering if I'll actually get stopped without my inertia forcing me over the faultline.

or wondering if I'll actually get stopped without my inertia forcing me over the faultline.

haha. +1 to that. When I am at my "fighting weight" and have been on my cardio and stamina workouts like I should be, I get through the match with so much more finesse and with a lot more focus and energy all day. I also know I am moving better. Better meaning, faster, more crisp, more controlled.

Absolutely true in my experience. It's more than just confidence that I can do things physically, though. Because I'm so much more resilient through the day, being out in the elements, I have a lot more fuel in the tank to run the body, and feeling like I have energy (and retaining mental energy, too) leads to better mental game performance, as well...

plus 1 on this

Edited by Beaz

But you have to ask yourself how much better would he be if he lost 50-60lbs?

Exactly. As I've said many times before - becoming fit will not make you win matches in and of itself. You still need to be able to shoot. Guys that have exceptional shooting talent can make up for a lot of physical limitations. Most people (myself included) do not have that level of raw talent. Becoming more fit puts you in a position to better leverage the skills you have, and improve skills that are key to the (non-classifier end of the) game. There's another thread floating around where it was pointed out that Taran apparently doesn't shoot relatively physical three gun matches - I don't know if that's true or not, and I don't know why it might be true if it is. But, one could easily conjecture it might have to do with his fitness level...

Taran fit and trim would be a scary, scary dude, for sure...

There is no doubt that our bodies are better able to focus and handle stress if they are physically fit. I injured my foot last spring and have just recently begun to get back into shape. I know I focus more on shooting if I'm not worrying about being out breath, hurting,or wondering if I'll actually get stopped without my inertia forcing me over the faultline.

Ditto!!!

I think one's fitness level has a direct impact on overall performance. I'm in decent shape, forcing myself to run 3x a week and hit the weight room a minimum of 4 days a week. being somewhat in shape helps cut the time down on those big field courses which translates into points. not blessed with raw talent at all so I have to get my big ass moving faster to cut down on stage times. around here a lot of the guys are younger or slimmer than me and they can really move so I gotta stay in shape to keep up. there's also the confidence factor when one is in shape and healthy. being fit also gives us more stamina during those long hot days when our minds start to lose focus on the match cause of the heat. overall physical fitness is an asset for our game.

• 1 month later...

I come from the world of the standing only position Silhouette bolt action rifle and air rifle with no coats. The more overweight you are in the Silhouette rifle sports and the wider your hips are the easier it is to shoot the standing rifle without the support of a coat. No standing blocks are allowed in that sport. The shorter you are and the longer your humerus is the better off you will be also.

If you are overweight and on B-blockers for high blood pressure your heart rate never rises during high temperatures, humidity and match stress. I occasionally travel and shoot with a person on B-blockers. When my Heart Rate is 85 bpm, his is 60 bpm. When he is the Silhouette Rifle Match Director at his home range and has to move target stands he has to take half of his regular medication dose or he will pass out. On those match days his Heart Rate is over 80 bpm and mine is in the 60's.

I like this handgun sport because being physically fit and on no medications does not hurt your performance but actually helps you because you have to move.

When your body is fatigued then your mind or ability to focus goes. The body has to be strong enough that the mind will never be affected by body fatigue when under stress.

When your body is fatigued then your mind or ability to focus goes. The body has to be strong enough that the mind will never be affected by body fatigue when under stress.

cheers.gif

I had to take B-blockers for a bit in an attempt to help address symptoms from what was first thought to be hyper-thyroidism. They definitely did not help my game in this sport (didn't hurt it much, but I never felt quite as sharp and ready to go). There was a discussion on here a while back about whether beta blockers would help with staying calm and all that. After my experience, I feel they're a detriment in our sport, but YMMV....

So, what level of fitness are we needing to stay on top of a 10-stage, 250rd one-day match? I have been playing 2 hours of basketball three days a week for the last 4 months as well as taking care of a never-slow-down 1 year old. I am wondering how that will translate to an all-day match (8hrs+). I shoul dget an idea, with locals starting back up this month, but just looking for similar turnarounds from others and what they experienced.

The basketball won't hurt - hard to say how it translates, as it depends a lot on how intense the games are for you, and how much time is spent sprinting vs. being, shall we say, more leisurely? But, that level of activity is a lot better than other folks get.

"Stay on top of" is kind of a funny thing, too - is the level of training you're doing enough to help you out? Probably so. Would a higher level of activity, or a change in the makeup of the activity help more? Maybe?

The other thing to factor in is that you've been playing in moderate temperatures. Push the intensity of your game, and do it in 100+ degree weather three or more times a week? Now you're really getting somewhere ;) Tolerance of the conditions you're shooting in have a lot to do with it, too, and you don't get that farting around in the A/C when it's hot outside cheers.gif

+1 on this. I am trying to recover from rotator cuff surgery and both my shooting skills and physical skills have diminished a bunch.

It does for me.

I am young enough that it shouldn't be an issue, but two children, a desk job, and just not enough activity caught up to me. I am not overweight at all, but I am very out of shape.

Just this past weekend at a match, there was a stage where you had to get low to engage two arrays. Prior to the match start I was walking through it repeatedly and both of my legs(quads) really started burning, to the point that I got worried that if I was moving quick I was literally at risk of my legs giving out on me.

It definitely affected my focus and the outcome.

And it was a real wake up.

Wow, lots of good info. in the replies here. Thanks to everyone.

A few posts get into the topic of what kind of exercise is beneficial to our sport in terms of preparing you physically for the challenges encountered in match stages and match weather conditions, duration, etc. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts along these lines.

I am new to the the game -- just one year of USPSA local matches and one Area match under my belt. I have not really specifically tailored my exercise regimen to help my shooting, having just assumed that what I am doing will be helpful.

I am 42, a litigation attorney (read that sedentary work). Here is my program at this time.

I ride my bicycle to work year round, rain or shine. 5 miles each way.

I workout at noon. Two days I run stairs. Two days I jog. One day I do both.

Every day I do core workout, pushups, tricep extensions, etc.

Jogging is 4-6 miles.

Stairs is 90-108 stories up and down.

On the days I do both, I do 82 stories and a 1-mile run.

Not currently doing any real weight lifting because I don't have a gym membership but I will have that corrected by summer.

What are other people doing?

Edited by lawboy