Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition/Trigger Reset

LauWau

I am a new shooter to USPSA. In reading a previous post, I thought about a question that I have given thought to. When transitioning from target to target, when do you reset trigger (I shoot a glock and "ride the reset")? I have been waiting until acquiring the next target to reset. Is this correct?

I am a new shooter to USPSA. In reading a previous post, I thought about a question that I have given thought to. When transitioning from target to target, when do you reset trigger (I shoot a glock and "ride the reset")? I have been waiting until acquiring the next target to reset. Is this correct?

If your talking about 'moving' to another target, your finger has to be out of the trigger guard, but you know that. Standing in place and transitioning to another target, it's up to you. You just don't want an AD. What works for me is while transitioning to the next target, I let the trigger reset and take up the pre-travel.

YMMV

When transitioning, I get off the trigger as fast as possible, and I'm prepping the trigger at about the time the sights are coming onto the target and my eyes are shifting from the center of the A zone to the front sight. Hopefully at the precise moment the sight enters the A zone my trigger is fully prepped and I can begin to break shots.

Notice I'm not trying to ride the reset at all. There is a growing contingency that believes riding the reset isn't really possible, and attempting to do so hurts accuracy and contributes to trigger freeze.

Thanks guys. As someone new to pistol shooting, it just seemed safer to not release the trigger until I had transitioned to the next target (while in same shooting position). I can not tell you if I am actually successful riding the reset in a actual match (vs range practice). I have definitely fallen victim to trigger freeze while trying though.