Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST for 9mm

kingdarb

Does anyone load for 9mm with WST? I can get a decent deal on some, but I am having a tough time finding any 9mm data for it. I am shooting out of a G34 and a G17. Right now the projectiles are 125JHP zeros.

I have also been considering trying WSF, but I can get a bit better of a price on the WST.

Does anyone load for 9mm with WST? I can get a decent deal on some, but I am having a tough time finding any 9mm data for it. I am shooting out of a G34 and a G17. Right now the projectiles are 125JHP zeros.

I have also been considering trying WSF, but I can get a bit better of a price on the WST.

Get the WSF... It produces velocities similar to HS-6 with a lower charge weight.. WST is a powder better reserved for target loads in lower pressure rounds like 45 ACP, 38 special, etc. I am not saying WST will not work, I am just saying that WSF powder can turn up the 9mm and 125 gr bullets easily and safely, whereas WST can not without concerning pressures.

Edited by 9mmMike

WST works very well with BayouBullets or Precision molly in 9 mm, with jacketed bullets 125gr it is a bit snappy. I have shot a lot of 125gr Zeros with WST, the oal and pay attention here was 1.145 and 4.6gr of WST with WinSPP. This will get you to 130-135pf depending on the speed of your barrel, don't push beyond this with this powder. Yes, that is a warning, at a shorter oal less powder!

Do yourself a favor and get some N320 it is the perfect choice for 9 mm 125gr Jacketed.

4.5 to 4.8gr of IMR7625 makes a nice shooting load as well.

I used WST, 124 MG JHP load for a while in my G34.

Minor changes in charge wt and OAL made a big difference in FPS and I think pressure.

I decided for my progressive loading setup where charge weights can vary a little there were better choices to get a consistent load.

If you run a reloading cost calc http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp, I think you will see that the cost of the powder has minimal impact on the cost/round.

David E.

I am currently running 5 grains WST with a Berry 125 grain LRN, Wolf SP primer. In my SA 5" 1911 it clocked at 1122 FPS in 85 deg F weather.

Next batch I plan to back down to 4.7 grains.

I load 9mm, 10MM , 40 and .45 ACP with WST. I really like that powder a lot.

i love wst. i have used it in 9 and 40. it may not be the most accurate powder for those applications although it is accurate enough. one of my most accurate loads used wsf and a 124-125 berry's. i just shot some rounds with it and the brass had a little soot ring on it so i dont think it was sealing very well. wsf does have a little more recoil with it but after 40 major it is very tame and managable. it did have a nice sight lift and tracking. it is still one of my favorite powders and i might switch back to it when my new barsto barrel gets here on the 6th. vv320 does burn very clean and i like it but i feel that wst is softer. pros for 320 like being clean and very consistent thru out the temp range are nice traits - it does cost more (so what) but the lack of availability bothers me more.

as you have heard before, just get some of each and try them (being safe of course). everyone and every gun is different.

i also pay attention to what cocobolo says.

Thanks for the info guys. I am out in Canada, and n320 isn't available in too many places. I've only found one distributor, and they are a five hour drive away. They can ship, but shipping is about 40 bucks to have 4lbs shipped. I lb isn't too much cheaper due to hazmat fees and stuff. If I could just walk into a local store I would have tried it.

In any case, I am going to load some of the WSF on my next days off and will see how it works.

I ended up picking up a 1lb bottle of WSF. Will give it a go. If I like it I'll get some more. If not I may try the 320... BTW - I am switching from titegroup...

Good, TiteGroup is violent, dirty, hot burning, WST is way better, but you wold love VV N320 or even IMR7625 which is probably a lot like WSF but I have not WSFed so I cannot verify it.

I ended up picking up a 1lb bottle of WSF. Will give it a go. If I like it I'll get some more. If not I may try the 320... BTW - I am switching from titegroup...

Good, TiteGroup is violent, dirty, hot burning, WST is way better, but you wold love VV N320 or even IMR7625 which is probably a lot like WSF but I have not WSFed so I cannot verify it.

Yeah many people recommended titegroup but I just don't dig it that much. It is violent and I also find that it leaves burn marks on the outside of cases no matter what. They do clean off in the tumbler but whatever....

I would have considered the 320, but the closest place to me that sells it is a five hour drive away. Would cost me 40 bucks for shipping to get it sent to me, which brings it from being a bit more expensive to much more expensive to use.

I have heard good things about the WSF in 9mm, and there is some published data for it. It is also a ball powder so it should meter well in my 550.

We'll see how the 17 and the 34 like it! If it works out well maybe I'll have to buy a shadow for "science" to see how it shoots the reloads... ;)

+1 on the IMR SR 7625. I use it when the N320 is running low or hard to find.

Hello: I like Tite Group so there :roflol: It is accurate and meters well. My Montana Gold 121grain bullets, 4.2grains of Tite Group, 1.140" OAL and Federal primers is sweet to shoot :cheers: I have used this in my Glocks, CZ and now my 6" 2011. It is 134PF from a Glock 34 and 131PF with the CZ I had. I have to Chrono it with the 6". WSF is next on the list to try as well as some HP-38. I have some N320 but I have not tried it with 9mm. On the 40 it is not that accurate as Tite Group. Thanks, Eric

I hated WST for 9 shooting them back to back with other powders. It was not soft at all (like a small firecracker going off in your hand.)

I do like it for .40 though. Tested it with the other powders I tried for 9 and the feel is totally different. It's soft and noticeably more accurate.

• 1 year later...

Hornady Abridged Addition 1997 Titled "Hornady HandBook Of Cartridge Reloading" has the information for loading 9MM with Winchester WST Powder. Page #174

The Bullet weight is 124 Grain as follows:

Hornady # 3556 FMJ-FP............(Full Metal Jacket Flat Point)

Hornady # 3557 FMJ-RN...........(Full Metal Jacket Round Nose)

Hornady # 3567 LRN.................(Lead Round Nose)

Using WIN WST Powder load as follows:

4.8 GR @ 1025 FPS

5.0 GR @ 1050 FPS

5.2 GR @ 1075 FPS

5.4 GR @ 1100 FPS Maximum Load Use With Caution!

All loads use small pistol primers

Hornady Abridged Addition 1997 Titled "Hornady HandBook Of Cartridge Reloading" has the information for loading 9MM with Winchester WST Powder. Page #174

The Bullet weight is 124 Grain as follows:

Hornady # 3556 FMJ-FP............(Full Metal Jacket Flat Point)

Hornady # 3557 FMJ-RN...........(Full Metal Jacket Round Nose)

Hornady # 3567 LRN.................(Lead Round Nose)

Using WIN WST Powder load as follows:

4.8 GR @ 1025 FPS

5.0 GR @ 1050 FPS

5.2 GR @ 1075 FPS

5.4 GR @ 1100 FPS Maximum Load Use With Caution!

All loads use small pistol primers

Hornady #3556 C.O.L. 1.050"

Hornady #3557 C.O.L. 1.150"

Hornady #3567 C.O.L. 1.090"

Forgot to post this information in my previous comment.

• 2 weeks later...

WST works very well with BayouBullets or Precision molly in 9 mm, with jacketed bullets 125gr it is a bit snappy. I have shot a lot of 125gr Zeros with WST, the oal and pay attention here was 1.145 and 4.6gr of WST with WinSPP. This will get you to 130-135pf depending on the speed of your barrel, don't push beyond this with this powder. Yes, that is a warning, at a shorter oal less powder!

Do yourself a favor and get some N320 it is the perfect choice for 9 mm 125gr Jacketed.

On your recommendation I loaded up a congress of MG 124's using SR-7625 this afternoon and as you stated in another post it is very soft and clean burning. I found it very close to N320 except for a slight difference shot to shot (ES) there was little to no difference in the feel or accuracy between the 2 powders. It has been years since I have used 7625 so thank you for the heads up. When I cannot find N320 7625 will get the call. Thanks again for turning me on to a forgotten old timer that still works extremely well.

What about IMR 4756 ?