Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Damn, I'd be jumping up and down bashing heads together to get people to add up the hits. I insist on the same thing for string times, as well. :)

I've considered that, but they're all armed and half of them can outshoot me.rolleyes.gif

BB

Yeah, but YOU have the match in your hands as it were. Damn, 6 stages time 60 competitors, let's say, gee, I just can't figure out how many hits this adds up to, looks like some no-penalty mikes have to be assessed. Oh well..... :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All, just remember, a kindle fire, ipad, iphone, or cheap *color* display on either an android or an ios device is going to *SUCK* in the royal sense, when used outdoors in bright sunlight.... Especially depending on the color pallet used. This whole idea over a Nook Simple seems much more plausible given both indoor and outdoor shooting. They use an e-ink display and the battery life is approx 3-4X what the color units are, not to mention they are *way* cheaper.

I'm off today to find a nook and root it.... from all I can tell with a the 1.1 firmware which has been officially release, and a little time, they root pretty easy....

Now what I *don't* know is how sluggish the e-ink display feels.... but we'll soon have an assessment of that....

from an ipad and android owner/user who lives with both every day, color in daylight/sunlight and readable is an oxymoron...

Alan

I've considered that, and only experience will tell. However, data entry in Practiscore is so easy, that even if we decided we couldn't use it at matches, I think I'd use it at home to enter data from score sheets. I think it'd cut my data entry time in half.

Besides, I've spent more for things that did less than a extra iPod.

BB

You won't find many places sunnier than where I shoot regularly - St. George, UT and Las Vegas, NV.

Bright sun can be an issue, but I've never had it materially slow me down, except recently on a Kindle fire trying to find the "." for times. We fixed that by having a special keyboard with big numbers and bigger "." pop up.

Ken N.

Ken,

We used PractiScore last weekend on my old iTouch and fell in love. Can't thank you enough for streamlining the scoring and speeding it up. We read the results at the end of the match with no waiting or standing around. Outstanding.

Donn

Fort Campbell Action Shooters

(USPSA at heart but unaffilated due to installation legal restrictions)

Used Practiscore to score our classifier match today. Everything ran like a top, uploading was easy, life is good. I can't think of any reason not to use this all season.

Minor note: Need to get backup battery for iPod touch. It gave out about 4 hours into the match. Fortunately, I had my personal iPhone to sync and use for a backup.

BB

We used Practiscore for the first time at our match today as well. It worked perfectly, and everyone loved it. I used an iPad to register everyone and 2nd gen iPod Touches for the scoring. It was awesome being able to show everyone the results while still at the range. Plus we had 35mph winds with gusts up to 50, and it was so nice not having to mess with paper score sheets flapping around.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to email the results to everyone without having to re-enter all the email addresses when the mail client pops up?

BB - thanks for the feedback, glad it went well. See http://practiscore.com/kens-ios-scoring-toolbox for the batteries and other paraphernalia that I bring to matches.

JorDanO - glad it went well for you guys as well. This was a pretty successful weekend for PractiScore.

On e-mail... what we may do is have the addresses go up to PractiScore.com and have it send the notes on scores. That is probably better than your mail client on the iOS device sending hundreds of messages. It is planned. And at a minimum, we plan to have e-mail export in the short term so you don't have to type.

Ken N.

One of the local clubs used this system for the first time last weekend. It was very easy to use. I never watched the videos, but picked up on how to use it withing minutes.

I did have an issue scoring one shooter. As I was scrolling through the target list, I accidently added a no-shoot to his score. I only noticed it as I was reviewing the score. When penalties are assesed, it might be nice to have some sort of dialog box that asks "Are you sure? I know you want to beat your shooting buddy, but adding a no-shoot is not the way to do it"

In hindsight, I should have just left the no-shoot there as he beat me by half a match point and likes to remind me of that fact :devil:

I have also been asked by my club to figure out what we would need/cost to get set up using a dedicated system. I plan to do the research this weekend, but if anyone has already looked into it for a local club that usually has 5 squads, any advice will be helpful.

Edited by Bunchies95

One of the local clubs used this system for the first time last weekend. It was very easy to use. I never watched the videos, but picked up on how to use it withing minutes.

I did have an issue scoring one shooter. As I was scrolling through the target list, I accidently added a no-shoot to his score. I only noticed it as I was reviewing the score. When penalties are assesed, it might be nice to have some sort of dialog box that asks "Are you sure? I know you want to beat your shooting buddy, but adding a no-shoot is not the way to do it"

In hindsight, I should have just left the no-shoot there as he beat me by half a match point and has reminded me every day of the week so far :devil:

I have also been asked by my club to figure out what we would need/cost to get set up using a dedicated system. I plan to do the research this weekend, but if anyone has already looked into it for a local club that usually has 5 squads, any advice will be helpful.

Myself and a friend been involved in getting PractiScore going for 3 clubs, so far. One club has just purchased 6 Nook Simple Touches from OverStock.com for $78/ea. This club has a monthly match with a turn-out of 80 to 100 shooters.

We've also got two weekly clubs running it. We co-scored on paper as a back-up for the first match with each club, but dropped that for the next 3 matches. We've scored a total of 5 matches on it, and been *really* pleased. We're getting people up to speed on how to score shooters, but haven't yet trained them on adding and squadding users or setting up stages (that's PS 102 :) ).

Ken and company has been fantastic to work with. We've worked through a lot of issues with the Android devices, and the Nooks (with their 16 gray level screens) in particular.

We feel the Nook is the best bang for the buck, as most clubs can afford that, and a $30 access point. Break an iPad, you're out $500+, and they're hard to read in sunlight, particularly if you have polarized glasses on. The same is true for all color devices (although Ken says you can read a Kindle Fire in the Utah sun. I dunno...). The Nooks are easy to read in all but the dimmest light, and if you break one, well, they're cheap to replace.

I have spent so much time dealing with people who can't be bothered to add a couple columns of numbers to cross-check scores, or make MY life easier when I enter them into EzWinScore, so I am *all* about PractiScore. I had to score a shotgun match with a pistol stage the other day, and I'd almost forgotten how :)

--jc

Edited by jcwren

Ok so we ran practicscore today and I'm having trouble uploading registration to ezwin. I've done what the support page says with no luck. I've got the stages and in and I'm ready to go to scores but I can't get ezwin to like the reg file.

Just finished scoring a small local match. 5 stages, including a classifier. Scored all of it in my iPhone4. Everything went well except for few hitches and a possible bug. I'll send the details to support. Otherwise, it's an elegant solution to an age old handicap' in our sport. Thanks, Practiscore!

We used Practiscore for the first time at our match today as well. It worked perfectly, and everyone loved it. I used an iPad to register everyone and 2nd gen iPod Touches for the scoring. It was awesome being able to show everyone the results while still at the range. Plus we had 35mph winds with gusts up to 50, and it was so nice not having to mess with paper score sheets flapping around.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to email the results to everyone without having to re-enter all the email addresses when the mail client pops up?

The software is designed to feed into EzWinScore so that EzWinScore may then interface with all USPSA processes and on-line services. If you upload the results from EzWinScore to the USPSA web page (we support posting of local and major match results) all members who have an email address on file in their profile who shot the match will receive a performance summary email, provided of course, you used the correct member number when registering them. One nice thing about this approach is that the match doesn't even have to have the emails for the competitors - it happens automagically.

Ok so we ran practicscore today and I'm having trouble uploading registration to ezwin. I've done what the support page says with no luck. I've got the stages and in and I'm ready to go to scores but I can't get ezwin to like the reg file.

Corey sent this reg file to me and we are examining it now. It appears, at first glance, that something in the transit (probably the e-mail client) changed the line endings to something ezws isn't digging. I've got Devin looking at it now to make sure that is the problem. I'll update on it when we sort it out (probably later this evening).

Ken N.

Corey sent this reg file to me and we are examining it now. It appears, at first glance, that something in the transit (probably the e-mail client) changed the line endings to something ezws isn't digging. I've got Devin looking at it now to make sure that is the problem. I'll update on it when we sort it out (probably later this evening).

Ken N.

Ken...maybe another reason to loose the email transfer feature. Wireless transfer to a desktop/laptop should do the trick. Email systems are a PitA since there is no standardization across the various systems. Just my 2 half cents worth.

But I have to agree...Practiscore sure is light years ahead of current available programs for scoring USPSA matches.

Emailing attachments should be no problem. Also I have all sorts of Wireless, Bluetooth, USB, Flash Cards, etc. between my Desktop, Cell Phone, and Samsung Tablet, but I don't really know of any way to transfer files "wirelessly" even though I've tried all sorts of transfers / synching. So we definately need a simple solution.

Ken N.

Ken...maybe another reason to loose the email transfer feature. Wireless transfer to a desktop/laptop should do the trick. Email systems are a PitA since there is no standardization across the various systems. Just my 2 half cents worth.

But I have to agree...Practiscore sure is light years ahead of current available programs for scoring USPSA matches.

We are about to release a ezws helper service that runs on the PC in the background and syncs with PractiScore clients and generates the needed ezws import files.

We are testing it now, and it should go up on practiscore.com this week, when we hope Apple approves the iOS update we submitted.

Ken N.

The problem was that a shooter had what we suspect is too long an e-mail address. somethingreallylonganddescriptiveandperfectlydescribingtheirbusiness@yahoo.com - taking that out, and it worked.

We will get with the ezws folks to see if there is a limit and then just blank out that field if it exceeds it.

Ken N.

Any ETA on when iOS can synch to Android? (Can currently synch Android to iOS but not the other way.) I'd like to be able to register people on an iPad (with a real keyboard connected) and then distribute the match to the stage Nook Simples.

Ken N.

The problem was that a shooter had what we suspect is too long an e-mail address. somethingreallylonganddescriptiveandperfectlydescribingtheirbusiness@yahoo.com - taking that out, and it worked.

We will get with the ezws folks to see if there is a limit and then just blank out that field if it exceeds it.

Ken N.

That's good information. Really funny. too.

Any ETA on when iOS can synch to Android? (Can currently synch Android to iOS but not the other way.) I'd like to be able to register people on an iPad (with a real keyboard connected) and then distribute the match to the stage Nook Simples.

The iOS version with manual synching (needed to go to the Android) was submitted on Thu. Fingers crossed. It's been taking 3-10 days to get apps approved in the App Store.

Ken N.

I have a ? I call myself looking at this thread so if I over looked the answer I am sorry in advance . Will this program work for scoring a steel match like steel challenge .i really like what I have seen so far just playing with it

Thanks

Jason