Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

I'm going to be trying this at South River today. Plan is to register everyone into the iPad, which will be the "master". Then synch to an iPhone 3GS (the iPad's size I think makes it too unwieldy for THIS particular purpose) and follow some squads around for awhile. Synch back to the iPad. Then I'll probably finish scoring on the iPad from the remaining paper scoresheets, and import into ezws and hope I have a match.

This worked. 64 competitors, 6 stages, built, registered, and scored entirely in practiscore on 2 iOS devices, exported over to ezws for official scoring and uploading to uspsa.org, and results also uploaded to practiscore.com, where they also show combined results. http://goo.gl/6ozpF

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This App is developing nicely! :) :) :)

I've never worked directly with Palm scoring, but I can only assume this App TOTALLY blows Palm scoring out of the water by comparison. Both from a software side, and a hardware side. Availability of a whole myriad of devices can be utilized, from iPhones, iPads, iTouch's, to Android phones, Tablets, etc.

I showed this to a friend last night and he was blown away! The bright RED & GREEN rows while scoring paper targets is so intuitive I don't know how you could ever miss a hit, or enter too many hits. I also like how you dont need a stylus to use it.

Congrats, and thanks for implementing quick and effective fixes. :cheers:

Oh and I forgot to mention that if you use an iPad or some kind of Tablet to do your registration, then send that to the squad phones ..... and at the end of the day send the stages back to Tablet for final results scoring, you could hook that tablet up to some sort of Flat Panel display with an HDMI cable for easy viewing by all.

Very very nice! :cheers:

This App is developing nicely! :) :) :)

I've never worked directly with Palm scoring, but I can only assume this App TOTALLY blows Palm scoring out of the water by comparison. Both from a software side, and a hardware side. Availability of a whole myriad of devices can be utilized, from iPhones, iPads, iTouch's, to Android phones, Tablets, etc.

Exactly Chris...I've been using the palm scoring program for almost 2 years now and we were restricted to the slow palms. It was a good system if we could have gotten newer and faster technology.

But this app blows palm scoring out of the water. Intuitive and easy to navigate...new technology, multiple OS versions and you can create, score, and report the entire match on the handheld devices and only use EZWinScore for uploading classifiers to USPSA (at least for now that is).

Way to go Ken, Josh, Russ and company. :cheers:

Practiscore doesn't accept no penalty mikes on a fixed time stage, and it won't accept targets with fewer than the required number of hits. Should be a manageable fix.

BB

ETA: Never mind. I discovered my mistake - I should have put the NPMs in in the stage building process.

Edited by bbbean

Practiscore doesn't accept no penalty mikes on a fixed time stage, and it won't accept targets with fewer than the required number of hits. Should be a manageable fix.

BB

Seems to work mostly correct for a Fixed Time stage on Android v0.9.1.1. I create a stage where the number required hits per paper is equal to the max number of no penalty mikes. Ideally, this should be done automatically, when Fixed Time scoring is done.

The bug that does show up is that the Time field still needs to be filled in for a Fixed Time stage. In theory, there is no need to fill this in. To workaround the issue, ALWAYS put in 1 second so that the correct hit factor is computed for a Fixed Time stage.

ETA: Oh and there is a bug in how the stage points are computed for the Fixed Time stage.

Edited by Skydiver

I downloaded Android version and played with it a bit. An awesome app and it will completely change life of the stats shack! Great work Ken and Co.

Now, being a software developer myself I am completely nit picking, but here is a few comments on app appearance and some visual things:

* I wonder if some of UI things are driven by iOS version and some ideas came from Palm version... Few things look somewhat odd on Android. Especially, comparing with Android app UI Design guidelines :)

http://developer.android.com/design/index.html

* I've noticed that lot of the lists and buttons don't have visual or tactile feedback when you click on the item to select.

Also, many of the lists a bit narrow for the fingers.

* the time entry field currently shows full keyboard. I am wondering if you could change that to a phone keyboard,

like the one shown when entering number of paper targets on stage editing screen

* when scoring, it would reduce number of clicks if target scoring were on the same screen

Also, save button is currently hard to reach on top of the screen, would be easier on the bottom

May not need to show the save util you scroll all the way to the bottom of the target lists (i.e. until scoring is done)

The back button is somewhat redundant, given a standard android back button

The NP/M column is somewhat redundant. You rarely need it, so I wonder if it is better to mark the target that could have NP/M as such (i.e. DT - disappearing target), but RO used application during a real match may have a better idea

Also, there are per-target penalties (e.g. failed to engage), I suppose you can only enter them on the main screen.

I may have few more things to add later.

Also, I am very interested in some kind of export format compatible with IPSC's WinMSS scoring application. I am willing to help with that and even write some code (at least for Android version).

Installed the lasted Android version to my Evo 4g.

I set up a stage, scored it and noticed that No Shoots and Procedurals do not show on the Summery page when reviewing but are present on the Details page.

ETA: Oh, I see it now, the Summary page always shows '0' for No Shoots and Procedurals on the Summary page.

Have you sent email to 'support@practiscore.com'? Ken and Josh are very responsive to feedback and bug reports.

Edited by Skydiver

Sorry... I was away to a funeral and my reading of Enos was slow.

Actually, while this is a good place for it, I'd prefer if feedback needing fixes or technical answers go to support@practiscore.com

I'm the only one of the team that competes in the sport, so none of them read Enos at all, or ever heard of it. If you send to support@practiscore.com, then others will see it even if I'm traveling, which I do often.

I think all the issues are handled, as far as I can tell. Well, handled in the sense of acknowledged, fixed or working on it.

Fixed time was the biggest issue. I hit it at a match this weekend, and we just entered the same time in for everybody, mathematically it worked. This was Android specific, the iOS had it right. The next Android beta update will have this and other fixes in it.

The near term "big thing" is classifier update from the uspsa.com website data. And then, USPSA permitting, submission of classifier/activity reports.

Ken N.

After playing with a dummy match, I think I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon. But I'm a little leary of using my personal iPhone as a match device and I don't want to ask members to use theirs. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a couple of dedicated devices I had with me when doing a final review of scores before posting.

I have one extra iPhone (a 3GS I kept for a backup after upgrading), but I need at least 1, preferably two more devices. A quick look on Amazon shows the price of even refurbished iPhones and iPods to be a little more than I wanted to spend. Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive yet compatible Android phone/tablet I could get?

BB

android version is still in beta, so it may look and run a bit different, but I'm sure it'll be fine once it goes general release. You also may want to go the ebay route for iPod touches. (Yeah I know, I'm the one who yelled about scrounging around for 2nd hand equipment when it came to palms, but at least here you're scrounging for 21st century hardware.) If you find any reasonable android hardware, please let me know.

Edited by wgnoyes

The Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch handhelds are only $99 brand new in the box. But you have to root them in order to run applications. I did this and plan to purchase a few more. I like the larger screen than the handheld phone screens...and the black and white make it real easy to view in the bright daylight.

Barry, you can check it out when you come down to shoot with us in June.

Edited by Mark R

NOTE: just heard from Ken, his touch's are actually gen2's not gen1's... so iphone gen1 and ipod touch gen1's won't work as the min ios requirement is 4.2...

Ok, I'm kinda confused on one topic.... you say that you have practicscore running on Gen1 ipod touch's....but I just tried to download it to a gen 1 iphone and it says that it requires IOS version 4.2 or higher.... 4.2 or higher won't run on the Ipod touch's, or the iphone, so how do you have this loaded on gen 1 ipod touch's?

Yes I know I'm mixing apples and oranges... but I figured that if you had it running on gen 1 ipod touch's that it would run on the gen 1 iphone... but alas it won't... latest version of ios software for the gen 1 devices is 3.1.3.

And as mentioned above, when trying to get to a gen 1 iphone it says it requires a mininum version of 4.2.... :(...

gen2 ipod touches are no great deal, even on ebay.

Curious minds want to know...

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

NOTE: just heard from Ken, his touch's are actually gen2's not gen1's... so iphone gen1 and ipod touch gen1's won't work as the min ios requirement is 4.2...

Ok, I'm kinda confused on one topic.... you say that you have practicscore running on Gen1 ipod touch's....but I just tried to download it to a gen 1 iphone and it says that it requires IOS version 4.2 or higher.... 4.2 or higher won't run on the Ipod touch's, or the iphone, so how do you have this loaded on gen 1 ipod touch's?

Yes I know I'm mixing apples and oranges... but I figured that if you had it running on gen 1 ipod touch's that it would run on the gen 1 iphone... but alas it won't... latest version of ios software for the gen 1 devices is 3.1.3.

And as mentioned above, when trying to get to a gen 1 iphone it says it requires a mininum version of 4.2.... :(...

gen2 ipod touches are no great deal, even on ebay.

Curious minds want to know...

Alan

Are you referring to post #12? If so that Ken, is the same Ken that said that his iPod Touches are actually gen2 as you noted above.

Or is there somebody else you are addressing to ask the question: "so how do you have this loaded on gen 1 ipod touch's?"

I can't wait till this goes mainstream! I downloaded it to my Android last week, and played around with it a little but. Tried to use it to score some guys on my squad, just for fun, but since I was mainly playing RO and we weren't using this for scoring the whole match, I had a hard time keeping up with it, so I just sort of goofed around with it.

Fast forward to last night, when I shot a local indoor club match, and I totally and completely forgot about it! LOL Had it in my pocket the whole time, and had the time to use it, but didn't for some reason.

I've done without a pocket scoring system for so long, I kinda just blanked. :blink: LOL ;)

The Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch handhelds are only $99 brand new in the box. But you have to root them in order to run applications. I did this and plan to purchase a few more. I like the larger screen than the handheld phone screens...and the black and white make it real easy to view in the bright daylight.

Barry, you can check it out when you come down to shoot with us in June.

Has anyone tested this with Practiscore installed to see if they interact with other android devices and iOS devices as well? Also how long do they run in continuous mode (as in scoring all day) before needing to be recharged?

Edited by wgnoyes

According to the reports that I have read it is supposed to be able to run for three days continuous before needing a recharge or if using it for only an hour a day they say two months. I am thinking of picking up a refurbished one myself for $79 from them to check this out.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

The Nook Simple touch I have, I left on (but in sleep mode) for over 2 days and it was still over 85% battery life remaining. I was going to use it to score a small 3 stage shotgun side match last weekend, but had to cancel the match due to 20 degree weather.

FYI...The Nook simple touch is the tablet Ken and Company uses at Practiscore to test the android version on...and it's the tablet recommended by Ken for Android...but you will have to "root it" to get it to run applications instead of just being a eReader.

FWIW...to root my Nook, I first upgraded to version 1.1 (Nook original comes with 1.0.0, with an upgrade for 1.0.1) but bypassed 1.0.1 straight to 1.1, then root it using "touchnooter-2-1-31". Also had to purchase an "External" micro SD card reader to write the image on (my internal writer didn't work). I also purchased a new "Class 10" micro SD card for the image. Seems my older micro SD card wasn't fast enough the first time around.

Bottom line to root a Nook Simple Touch:

1) purchase an external MicroSD/combo reader ($15 at Best Buy)

2) purchase at least a class 10 micro SD card ($7 at Best Buy)

3) download WINIMAGE to write image on micro SD card

3) download touchnooter-2-1-31 image

4) upgrade Nook to 1.1

5) perform the root procedure