Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

New Android beta version available for direct download at www.practiscore.com

This matches the features of the iOS version, except for Class and Category Match Result breakout. All other features are in there.

It is well tested in the lab, but not, yet, out at a full match. Feedback welcome.

Ken N.

TY64062

Cool, I'll have to try it out.

Qucik question if I may...does this support Time Plus scoring for USPSA Multi-Gun?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New Android beta version available for direct download at www.practiscore.com

This matches the features of the iOS version, except for Class and Category Match Result breakout. All other features are in there.

It is well tested in the lab, but not, yet, out at a full match. Feedback welcome.

Ken N.

TY64062

Cool, I'll have to try it out.

Qucik question if I may...does this support Time Plus scoring for USPSA Multi-Gun?

Not yet - We have it planned for sometime after our Area 1 match (we will be swamped until then). We are also hunting up a Multi-Gun sponsor. Put a good word in for us with your favorite AR vendor... (-:

Ken N.

I got it and re-tried the import of masternames.db; it works now, though it did pop up a suggestion to try TSV instead. I will. When you re-import, does it overlay what's already there, or does it create duplicate entries? If the latter, is there a way to whack everyone out of the system first?

And Jim Norman FINALLY got his wish for which he's been clamoring for years. In match registration, you can just start typing a fname or lname and the system pops up a list of competitors in your "club" (or do we just want to call it masternames here, too?) that match that field and you pick the one you want, or keep typing if a new guy.

We used the Android beta version of PractiScore today in a club match with 6 stages, 120+ rounds, and 33 shooters.

This was our first test "live" under match pressure.

We got the match scored:

http://practiscore.com/match-results/uuid?uuid=fd990103-c6e0-43fc-a7ca-80f641ef0380&page=matchCombined

but with problems I want to make all aware of, and also know that we are fixing.

- orientation changes on the device were causing target scores (2 alpha, alpha charlie, so forth) to be lost.

Work around:

Lock the orientation if you have a device with that feature.

Don't use devices that can't lock until the next version is released.

- synching was iffy with a pocket WiFi router. It worked but tenuously.

Work Around:

Use a more powerful router via car, battery or AC power.

Or have an iOS device and use it for more reliable synching.

- phone calls would cause the same issue as the orientation issue. Basically if the score left context (an Android term), it was lost.

This is fixed and will be in the next release. Which we expect Tue.

I've got a more detailed list of optimizations and tweaks from actual match use, but these were the biggy "problems".

Ken N.

TY64062

I got it and re-tried the import of masternames.db; it works now, though it did pop up a suggestion to try TSV instead. I will. When you re-import, does it overlay what's already there, or does it create duplicate entries? If the latter, is there a way to whack everyone out of the system first?

It overlays on a formula of last name, first name and uspsa # being used to identify existing versus new entries.

Ken N.

It just keeps saying "Failed while adding shooters". :(

[EDIT] Using the Android version 0.9 just so you know.

I was hoping to use this tomorrow, but of course I can still manually add shooters. I would only be using it for S&G to score the guys on my squad unofficially anyways. But I do scores for 3 of our local clubs, and our annual State match too, so the sooner I can play around with this the better. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Chris Keen

I was hoping to use this tomorrow, but of course I can still manually add shooters. I would only be using it for S&G to score the guys on my squad unofficially anyways. But I do scores for 3 of our local clubs, and our annual State match too, so the sooner I can play around with this the better. Thanks for your help.

The issue is commas in the names of some of the shooters, or in other data. The CSV import we implemented assumes properly formatted data and extra commas in names like "Jim John, Jr." mess it up.

We handle these data errors on the latest iOS release, and are about to release a version with it for the Android - but not by tomorrow. Sorry!

You can still use it. For instance, you could load the CSV file into Excel. Extra comma rows will be easily seen because they will stick out further. Just delete them, or remove the comma, save, and import.

Ken N.

The issue is commas in the names of some of the shooters, or in other data. The CSV import we implemented assumes properly formatted data and extra commas in names like "Jim John, Jr." mess it up.

We handle these data errors on the latest iOS release, and are about to release a version with it for the Android - but not by tomorrow. Sorry!

You can still use it. For instance, you could load the CSV file into Excel. Extra comma rows will be easily seen because they will stick out further. Just delete them, or remove the comma, save, and import.

Ken N.

Somehow, I don't think that's the problem. I tried what you mentioned, and I still have trouble importing it even after deleting all but 1 shooter from the registration file. I tried both CSV and TSV, and the only way I could get it to work was in TSV after I deleted his Street Address. Does it not like periods & commas too? But even after I did this, and it said "successfully added shooters" I cannot find said shooter anywhere in the app. I thought I finally had it figured out, but am now more frustrated. :(

I've tried everything I could think of and I can't get it to work. Do you have to rename the "Registration.txt" file to

"PSS.txt" ?? Why does the app ask you to select a PSS.txt file when EzWin exports it under a different name? I see no mention of renaming the file anywhere here or in the PDF file.

:wacko:

I'm going to be trying this at South River today. Plan is to register everyone into the iPad, which will be the "master". Then synch to an iPhone 3GS (the iPad's size I think makes it too unwieldy for THIS particular purpose) and follow some squads around for awhile. Synch back to the iPad. Then I'll probably finish scoring on the iPad from the remaining paper scoresheets, and import into ezws and hope I have a match.

If we start doing this for real, otterbox is going to get some business from us.

I'm assuming iOS and Android can both be used together to score a given match?

If this all works out and I get comfortable with it, how would you all feel about coming to support scoring of a Lvl2 GA State Championship in September?

I've tried everything I could think of and I can't get it to work. Do you have to rename the "Registration.txt" file to

"PSS.txt" ?? Why does the app ask you to select a PSS.txt file when EzWin exports it under a different name? I see no mention of renaming the file anywhere here or in the PDF file.

:wacko:

I got email about this last night. Importing masternames from EzWinScore doesn't work on v0.9 for Android yet. The next beta release will have this functionality. The code apparently is already written, but still receiving more testing.

The current public Android beta version imports from the masternames.db, but is very sensitive about the import data format.

The next version, which I tested last evening, handles TSV and also malformated/structured CSV much looser.

I'd put it out but it has some things mid way which shouldn't be out in public.

That should be available Mon or Tue.

Ken N.

I'm going to be trying this at South River today. Plan is to register everyone into the iPad, which will be the "master". Then synch to an iPhone 3GS (the iPad's size I think makes it too unwieldy for THIS particular purpose) and follow some squads around for awhile. Synch back to the iPad. Then I'll probably finish scoring on the iPad from the remaining paper scoresheets, and import into ezws and hope I have a match.

If we start doing this for real, otterbox is going to get some business from us.

I'm assuming iOS and Android can both be used together to score a given match?

If this all works out and I get comfortable with it, how would you all feel about coming to support scoring of a Lvl2 GA State Championship in September?

That is a good plan. When we first switched, I gave one squad an iPad, and then hand entered the other squads. Next match, though, they all had iPod Touches.

We actually use our iPods unprotected. They are pretty tough. And they fit in pockets better. I do have a number of water proof sleeves for them, in case of weather.

iOS and Android can be used together. We used Androids for scoring yesterday and then consolidated on an iPad.

What are the dates for GA State Championship? I'll put them in our schedule if I can.

Ken N.

Hi Ken,

Was looking into this last weekend, but had some issues getting the time entered right. If I try to click on the time field for a particular stage and enter e.g. 12,52, click anywhere on the screen the result always discards the decimals. I.e. 12,52 is stored as 12,00.

This looks to be a region thing (my iPhone is setup as International:Region Format:Finnish(Finland)). Over here we use the comma "," as the decimal separator whereas the US uses the period ".". While the PractiScore UI displays a comma in the dialog it appears as if the code enters it with a period, thus resulting in the decimals in the time being discarded upon saving.

--max

Hi Ken,

Was looking into this last weekend, but had some issues getting the time entered right. If I try to click on the time field for a particular stage and enter e.g. 12,52, click anywhere on the screen the result always discards the decimals. I.e. 12,52 is stored as 12,00.

This looks to be a region thing (my iPhone is setup as International:Region Format:Finnish(Finland)). Over here we use the comma "," as the decimal separator whereas the US uses the period ".". While the PractiScore UI displays a comma in the dialog it appears as if the code enters it with a period, thus resulting in the decimals in the time being discarded upon saving.

--max

Max - thanks. I think we can fix that right away.

Ken N.

Hi Ken,

--max

Max - thanks. I think we can fix that right away.

Ken N.

Hi Ken,

--max

Max - thanks for reporting this. We've fixed it. All strings and numbers are now "localized" - meaning they can handle the way numbers are entered around the world.

The Apple App Store update submission review process is not an instant thing, but we will post this later today and let you know when it is live in the App Store.

Ken N.