Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Warranty Experience

I've just received my 550 back from a tune up. Im a moderator on another board and reloading questions come up often. I just tell them as far as I'm concerned, there is only one manufacturer of reloading presses. Dillon.

I got a question, I know Dillons warranty with the presses. But what does the warranty cover on the super swage 600? I don't think mine is swaging my 308 right anymore.

Have you called them ? I am always pleasantly surprised at what they will do.

• 1 month later...

I've only ever had one complaint regarding Dillon. A buddy of mine bought a brand new tumbler and hardly used it (long story, he lives out of the country and only does any reloading when he returns to visit the US). Apparently Dillon had a lot of problems with their previous motors that they used on the tumblers. The tumbler was redesigned and so they no longer even offer replacement motors for the old tumbler.

His tumbler was approximately two years old when it had failed, but I'd bet that it had not even tumbled even a half dozen bowls of brass. It failed and I was offered nothing other than a very modest discount on a replacement unit. Dillon basically told me that even if a $100+ tumbler lasted for 5 bowls of brass, that since it was out of warranty and they didn't have any replacement parts, too bad, so sad.

I understand that Dillon can't warranty something like that forever, but I also thought that if there was ever an equitable exception, it would have been satisfied had I sent them back this tumbler (which I still have by the way) and it looked basically brand new, and yet the motor failed.

I have been VERY happy with my Dillon press and dies, and their willingness to send me about a half dozen replacement parts over the last 7 years or so. I won't be switching to another brand, and in fact, I even purchased a Dillon .223 sizing die this year to replace the two Hornady dies that I've been swearing at for a lot of years (I have never seen so many stuck cases as with Hornday's .223 sizing die!).

I will continue to use Dillon's products and I'm otherwise very happy, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that my experience with their tumbler left a very sour taste in my mouth. It's great that their large tumbler holds more brass, but if they won't stand behind it, I might as well just buy the cheapos from Midway (and, in fact, my first Midway tumbler failed after just a few months and was replaced no questions asked).