Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for Remington 700 308 20 inch barrel

ranger

I am building a precision rifle around a Remington 700 308 with a factory 20 inch fluted barrel. I have purchased 168 SMKs and 175 SMKs. I have multiple powers in the reloading room - Varget, Winchester 748, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, IMR 4064, Hodgon H414, and Accurate XMR2015. Goal is to make an accurate, repeatable performing load for taking precision rifle training.

Hoping to get some starting loads for the 20 inch barrel.

Thanks

I am building a precision rifle around a Remington 700 308 with a factory 20 inch fluted barrel. I have purchased 168 SMKs and 175 SMKs. I have multiple powers in the reloading room - Varget, Winchester 748, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, IMR 4064, Hodgon H414, and Accurate XMR2015. Goal is to make an accurate, repeatable performing load for taking precision rifle training.

Hoping to get some starting loads for the 20 inch barrel.

Thanks

What is the twist on that barrel?

What types of targets and at what ranges?

Edited by MarkCO

Since there is very little shooting in this area at this time of year, I generally shift into research and development mode.

I've been shooting Nosler CC 155's (.308) over H4895. It's a combination that seems to work well out of my Rem 700 20" barrel. I'm just getting ready to switch over to Sierra 155 Palma (2156) for a round of testing.

And I might have another go with some Hornady 178's I've set aside but they just didn't test out that well before - not enough muzzle velocity with the shorter barrel to make the ballistics work that well.

I previously tried Varget with the Nosler 155's and just was not getting the kind of velocity I liked, but I'll try it again because a lot of people swear by it.

I have some AA2230 that I reload for my AR15. Not a well known powder for .308 but worth a try.

One thing I do want to test, if my local dealer can get me a pound, is the new CFE223. It looks interesting.

Since I've got the time and a little Christmas money left, I thought I'd also try one more powder. RL15 or IMR 4096 come to mind but I'm open to suggestions.

AA2230 does pretty good with a Hornaday 150gr bulk bullet out of both my rem700 and M1A. From the 700 I can count on consistant groups in the 1" range at 100yd, which to me is not bad for a bulk bullet. The M1A likes this load, too. AA2520 has given very good results with the heavier loads in .308 and .223 and is my go-to powder for the rem700.

I've been shooting Nosler CC 155's (.308) over H4895. It's a combination that seems to work well out of my Rem 700 20" barrel.

My load for my rifle. Load out to the lands. Very good accuracy.....

My load for my rifle. Load out to the lands. Very good accuracy.....

How do you load to the lands with a stock Rem 700 chamber? The throat is too deep for just about anything other than a VLD and you have to single load those.

I suggest Varget.

I've never figured why people like this powder so much. It meters poorly and it just doesn't give you enough velocity out of a 20" barrel - you end up going transonic well before 800yds even with a high BC bullet.

Edited by Graham Smith

No you don't. With a 175gr SMK and 45.0 gr of Varget (winchester brass) it's easily still supersonic at 1,000yds out of my 20" Remington 700. A longer barrel and/or bigger caliber would be better at that distance - sure, but I've done it and it works. 5/8 MOA pretty reliably.

This load is warm - as always, start low and work up. Varget is nice because it is fairly temperature INsensitive.

Since I've got the time and a little Christmas money left, I thought I'd also try one more powder. RL15 or IMR 4096 come to mind but I'm open to suggestions.

We have some good luck with RL15 in this application. I don't have my notebooks with me now, but I will send you some suggestions.

• 1 month later...

40-41g H4895 with 168's in a very old NRA HP load. Should work. RL15 and 175's should work too. .308 is about as easy as it gets to find a load that shoots well with a good gun/ barrel. 20" is sketchey at best at 1000. 155's might work if you have a short throat.

With a 175gr SMK and 45.0 gr of Varget (winchester brass) it's easily still supersonic at 1,000yds out of my 20" Remington 700.

What's your muzzle velocity? I've tested Varget with both 155's and 175's and even the new super high BC Hornady 178's and the muzzle velocity is just not that great in my rifle.

I should probably also mention that I was saying transonic not supersonic. I'm using 1350 as a cutoff. Also, I'm using the JBM calculator with B7 (Litz) values where ever possible. These produce a more realistic set of values for the HPBT match bullets.

I average 2,552 fps. 38.0 MOA of elevation (up from 100yd zero) got me to 1,000yds. I have no idea what the actual velocity was at the target, but I do know all my bullets still cracked when going over the pits (I asked my scorers specifically because I was doubtful I'd make it). JBM says it should be 1,135 fps at 1,000 yds, so it wouldn't make your criteria.

This rifle is much better suited for the mid-range matches, but it got me by at 1,000yds just for playing around.

Edited by Matt in TN

I average 2,552 fps. 38.0 MOA of elevation (up from 100yd zero) got me to 1,000yds.

Thanks. I've been playing with ballistics with a lot of different reported loads and am finding that when you get out past 800, there's very little difference between a slower heavy bullet and a faster light bullet when it comes to drop and velocity. Windage shows more variation but less than I would expect because the bullets are becoming so aerodynamic.

Comparing the Sierra 155 Palma, Sierra 175 MK, and Hornady 178 Match, the 155 has the least drop while the 178 has the least wind deflection.

I went with the 175gr SMK just because it's the "old standard" and I wanted the history of data and experience while I'm learning. The new Sierra 155s are very popular around here, with a lot of the better 175 shooters switching to them over the last couple years. I've heard a lot of good talk about the Hornady's, but don't know anyone who's using them yet.

• 1 month later...

My 20 inch 700 and my 16 inch SCAR hates the 155 grain Sierra Parma match. I tried N140 because it has worked well for me with other bullets and because it was Sierra's recommended accuracy load. I still have some 155's left so I will have to try some different powder. Anywhere this is what it did for me in my gun.

155grainsierrastartingchargetrimmedcases.jpg

155grainSierrastartingloadnottrimmed.jpg

MaxloadwithSierra155.jpg

My 20 inch 700 and my 16 inch SCAR hates the 155 grain Sierra Parma match. I tried N140 because it has worked well for me with other bullets and because it was Sierra's recommended accuracy load. I still have some 155's left so I will have to try some different powder.

That's rather slow for a 155gr bullet. I'm running 200fps higher in my Rem 700 20" using H4895

My 20 inch 700 and my 16 inch SCAR hates the 155 grain Sierra Parma match. I tried N140 because it has worked well for me with other bullets and because it was Sierra's recommended accuracy load. I still have some 155's left so I will have to try some different powder.

That's rather slow for a 155gr bullet. I'm running 200fps higher in my Rem 700 20" using H4895

I am just using Data from the Sierra manual. Its colder up here as well which is some of the velocity difference.

Pat

I am just using Data from the Sierra manual. Its colder up here as well which is some of the velocity difference.

FWIW, my readings were taken at sea level with a temp about 50 degrees. If you are shooting at 100yds then the velocity isn't going to make much difference. But it's possible that your gun doesn't like that power or that load. For example, everybody seems to love Varget but I've never had that much luck with it in .223 or .308. Funny thing that...

Every barrel seems to have its own likes, and dislikes, that's what makes reloading so frustrating, and rewarding. Out of all the different loads I've tried for my Remington 700, in .308 has been a Lapua 155 grain Scenar, in Lapua brass, with Varget behind them. The average group size at 200 yards was 5/8".