Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Dimensions / Blueprints

EricW

I'm looking for some documentation on the dimensions of the 1911 pistol. Specifically, I'd like to get exact dimensions for what the grips are supposed to be, but I'd like to have the blueprint dimensions for the entire pistol while I'm at it.

Patrick Sweeney's book? Other?

Cool Cullen! Thanks!

That will definitely get me started.

=======================================

Is there any other documentation out there with more legible dimensioning on it? I also need the dimensions for the left grip panel as the left and right grips are not mirror images of one another (around the tops).

I'm willing to pay for the documentation to get quality drawings.

E

If you are planning to make a 1911 frame from scratch at home, take a look at www.roderuscustom.tzo.com There are raw forgings & 60% complete frames available from Dlask in Canada (not for the beginner!) as well as 80% complete frames from NOC & unique CNC frames from KT Tool that are machined in halves & then pinned & furnace brazed together (these are also 80% complete). Often the sellers will throw in a set of prints or dimensions with their product. Finally, there is a CNC solid model of a 1911 available free for download through a member on the Roderus site.

I really have no intentions of going into the 1911 construction business. But when you need to make something *fit* onto one, it nice to know what the dimensions are *supposed* to be. That's my only motivation here.

Sorry for the confusion.

Eric,

Try www.model1911a1.com and then look to the top of the page for a drop down window. Each of the choices is a blueprint drawing of a particular part.

Here's another (less useful I think). http://www.m1911.org/images/drawings/KPS-Frame.wmf

If all else fails, find someone with a 1911 that you can borrow or I have both volumes of the Kuhnhausen books and I would LEND them to you via USPS. gunbooks.com

Ed