Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Single Stack vs Wilson Combat Single Stack

Nemesis Lead

I am interesting in hearing from folks who have experience with BOTH Wilson Combat 1911s AND SVI 1911s.

Which do you prefer for USPSA competition? Why? How are they different? Should I be looking at something else?

To be more specific....this would be a Wilson Combat CQB with a few upgrades (Dawson Precision magwell, slide top serrations, lightened trigger, extended mag release, desensitized grip safety) vs. an SVI of about the same parameters (and both in 45 ACP).

It is not so much about price as having the best 1911 for USPSA.

I had a Wilson, and have an SVI... Wilson's are OK, but not the same quality SVI - nor are they close to the same price, and TMK, Wilson doesn't really build a gun intended for competition, whereas SVI does.

I should have a Benny Hill Single-Stack waiting for me in TX next week. Based on the other Benny guns I've shot, I would think it would be a better choice than a Wilson for competition, while comparable in price.

I have a wilson singlestack and a svi doublestack.

If it helps your decision, i'm likely selling the wilson singlestack to fund a SVI singlestack.

The SVI will cost more than something like a CQB or a classic but it will come with a magwell more suited to uspsa, Wilson has one front sight width - .125 and they dont do things like tri-topping the slide.

From what ive seen, the build quality and thought process that goes towards a SVI approaches or surpasses wilsons supergrade line.

When I first got my SVI, bought it with a single sided wide safety and it was hard to engage into the safe position but a very positive detent into the firing position. When I asked SVI if it was just fitted wrong, their response was they do that so that the thumb safety is less likely to engage on weak hand only strings.

SVI hands down unless you are on a budget.

Thanks guys.

Does the SVI use regular 1911 mags or something more proprietary like the 2011 mags?

Does it like one type of mag (or bullet type) more than the other?

Please keep the comments coming!

normal mags, I would use tripp for 9/40 and wilson etm for .45

the schuemann style aet barrels that SVI uses like jacketed bullets.

I've had several semi-custom single stack 1911 pistols since 2004. In chronological order:

1 Kimber CDP Pro in 45

3 Les Baers, all 45 ACPs

3 Wilson Combats, 2 38 Supers and 1 45 ACP.

All of the above were nice pistols. However, none of them compare to the full custom Infinity Single Stack .40 I carry today. I was able to choose every single detail for the build.

Retail price for a CQB is around $2500 these days. A super grade starts at $4500. You can have a full custom Infinity for less than $4500 that will absolutely amaze you. PM me.

There is a reason I only own Infinity pistols........IMHO, they are the finest pistols in the World, bar none. :cheers:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/svi-custom-40/ Not about single stacks, but these folks can afford to buy firearms companies and they buy Infinity pistols...

Edited by SV-COP

I have a Wilson Combat Supergrade, CQB Elite, Protector along with several SVI 1911's. The Wilson Combat guns are excellent in all relevant aspects but the SVI guns are on another level. I recently received a 1911 from Brandon and it is incredible to say the least. The next build is now decided with deposit pending and already thinking on another. I plan on doing my part to keep Brandon busy building both single and double stacks.

M1Normando

I have a Wilson Combat Supergrade, CQB Elite, Protector along with several SVI 1911's. The Wilson Combat guns are excellent in all relevant aspects but the SVI guns are on another level. I recently received a 1911 from Brandon and it is incredible to say the least. The next build is now decided with deposit pending and already thinking on another. I plan on doing my part to keep Brandon busy building both single and double stacks.

M1Normando

Well, there you go...someone with more experience than me.. Sounds like Infinity is the way to go :cheers: