Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Big List

benos

I was digging through a bunch of my old (real old - early '80's) notes the other day, and found some fun stuff.

This list I called "The Big List (tech and attitude)". I'll type it in word for word (meaning, the grammar may not be that great but it made sense to me).

1. Allow aiming

2. Most mistakes are made before you shoot.

3. "Nothing Extra - Just Right" - everything - grip, position, vision.

3a. Moving quickly, with no hurry.

4. Shoot as if it's the last time you will.

5. Attitude - directed and calm.

6. Control your speed with your accuracy - not the opposite.

7. Dope stages to shoot comfortable and repeatable with a passion for performance but unattached emotionally.

8. See the target behind the sights, not the sights in front of the target.

9. Unemitional, no ego, Just Shoot, whatever the target takes.

10. Place your hands on the grip.

2. Most mistakes are made before you shoot.

4. Shoot as if it's the last time you will.

6. Control your speed with your accuracy - not the opposite.

8. See the target behind the sights, not the sights in front of the target.

I really like these ^ :)

Awesome, a trip down memory lane. What I think would be really interesting, is how these items morphed or changed as you developed beyond the early 80's. Did you abandon any of these items down the road? Or did some become so ingrained that they became automatic?

Grunt

Awesome, a trip down memory lane. What I think would be really interesting, is how these items morphed or changed as you developed beyond the early 80's. Did you abandon any of these items down the road? Or did some become so ingrained that they became automatic?

Grunt

I didn't abandon any of those. And kind of an interesting thing - None of them really became automatic. Pretty much had to be always summoning them.

My best iron sight shooting has ocurred when I look "through" the sights as opposed to "at" them.

That probably best describes #8. It's like the sights are "in the way."

be

My best iron sight shooting has ocurred when I look "through" the sights as opposed to "at" them.

I think I read something from TGO about that a long time ago...

It really comes down to seeing what needs to be seen. No more, no less.

Focus on the front sight was drilled into me very early, and for a long time I thought I did exactly that. But I've noticed when I'm shooting at speed: I'm focusing at a point that's like 5 feet past the front sight! I don't know when this happened.

I think I read something from TGO about that a long time ago...

It really comes down to seeing what needs to be seen. No more, no less.

Focus on the front sight was drilled into me very early, and for a long time I thought I did exactly that. But I've noticed when I'm shooting at speed: I'm focusing at a point that's like 5 feet past the front sight!

That's super common - not focused on either the target or the sights. Mediocre shooting is the usual result.

be

Shooters often spend to much time dwelling on what they did wrong and not what they did right, Lanny Basham thought If I only shot less 8's, so he started thinking what he did wrong every time he shot a 8 and found he got real good at shooting 8's let the bad shots go and think about what you did right and you will improve.

I like the one about sights and target. For me, it means that the order of things is of paramount importance. (as with all in the universe)

The front sight is the vehicle that carries me. The connector of all dots. The relationship of my shot to the target is vauge with a target focus. But, using the front sight, the relationship is precise.

If I wish to be vauge, I'll see the sights in relation to the target. If I wish to be precise, I'll see the target in relation to the sights. It doesn't matter where the target is, I'll always find a way to hit it. But, it always matters where my muzzel is pointed, without that, I'll probably miss, enen the easy targets

7. Dope stages to shoot comfortable and repeatable with a passion for performance but unattached emotionally.

I don't understand "Dope stages". Well, I can see my anxiety level high sometimes and a little chemical relaxation might have helped but I shoot bad enough as is. :D

Leam