Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow Target's SA trigger questions

kreativecid

I do not want to start a CZ vs (enter striker fire or 1911 HERE) debate, and I know it's not an apples to apples comparison. I have a few questions and am looking for objective non-fanboy input based purely on trigger.

Have any CZ Shadow shooters owned a xdm or m&p with the new Apex FSS (believe it's called that) or a Powder River Ultimate Match trigger? Both the aforementioned are touted as being very close to 1911 SA in terms of pre-travel, break and reset. I have a new xdm 5.25 9mm and a Powder River kit here but have yet to use them.

I'm a 1911 shooter and like everything about my 9mm with the proper ammo. I'm also a pretty good DA shooter from the revolver. I'm also a CZ75 fan; the fit, feel, accuracy. What I didn't like about my striker fire was the loooooong pre-travel and vague reset but that was before the newest Apex trigger.

I've done a lot of reading about Production, SSP, ESP, weights, DA/SA and SA only. Confusing but options are good. I do know adjustable rear sight and f/o front are must-haves for me.

But there are no Target Shadow non-firing block 9mm for me to test locally. How is that SA compared to a striker fire with the new kits I mentioned?

And how is the SA trigger compared to a nice 1911 in all aspects?

I bought a CZ 75 Shadow T from CZ Custom earlier this year. Of course, it was awesome out of the box. That being said, I prefer single action only so after a few months, I ordered the flat single action trigger from CZC and had a local gun smith install it. The only work done was to remove the DA trigger and disconnector and install the new trigger. It's as close to a 1911 trigger that you can get. It is crisp and there is almost no take up. My only issue is that the trigger pull is only 2 pounds. It is too light for me so I'm going back to have springs adjusted in order to make it closer to 4 pounds. The pistol makes weight in ESP with no problem.

Edited by Samuel Adams

I do not want to start a CZ vs (enter striker fire or 1911 HERE) debate, and I know it's not an apples to apples comparison. I have a few questions and am looking for objective non-fanboy input based purely on trigger.

Have any CZ Shadow shooters owned a xdm or m&p with the new Apex FSS (believe it's called that) or a Powder River Ultimate Match trigger? Both the aforementioned are touted as being very close to 1911 SA in terms of pre-travel, break and reset. I have a new xdm 5.25 9mm and a Powder River kit here but have yet to use them.

I'm a 1911 shooter and like everything about my 9mm with the proper ammo. I'm also a pretty good DA shooter from the revolver. I'm also a CZ75 fan; the fit, feel, accuracy. What I didn't like about my striker fire was the loooooong pre-travel and vague reset but that was before the newest Apex trigger.

I've done a lot of reading about Production, SSP, ESP, weights, DA/SA and SA only. Confusing but options are good. I do know adjustable rear sight and f/o front are must-haves for me.

But there are no Target Shadow non-firing block 9mm for me to test locally. How is that SA compared to a striker fire with the new kits I mentioned?

I had a m&p pro with the apex kit and I own xdm with a custom shop trigger job.

IMO the sa triggers on the cz shadow, polymer guns with kits and 1911 are all usuable triggers, but for production the cz was just plain easier to shoot, it fits my hand like a glove and i am noticebly more accurate with it. I sold the m&p, the xdm is a nightstand gun and I compete with the cz.

I personally like the design of the CZ better then the 1911, I dont like the grip safeties and I like the large fram area to put your thumbs on the CZ due to the internal slide when using the "thumbs forward" grip, imo the only thing the 1911/2011 series guns have on the cz design is a plethora of manufacturers, parts, and smith support.

I had a m&p pro with the apex kit and I own xdm with a custom shop trigger job.

IMO the sa triggers on the cz shadow, polymer guns with kits and 1911 are all usuable triggers, but for production the cz was just plain easier to shoot, it fits my hand like a glove and i am noticebly more accurate with it. I sold the m&p, the xdm is a nightstand gun and I compete with the cz.

I personally like the design of the CZ better then the 1911, I dont like the grip safeties and I like the large fram area to put your thumbs on the CZ due to the internal slide when using the "thumbs forward" grip, imo the only thing the 1911/2011 series guns have on the cz design is a plethora of manufacturers, parts, and smith support.

+1, me too.

I've had no XD's, but have had a few different M&P's; 1 with an Apex kit, and a couple with full-on custom trigger jobs that put the Apex drop-in stuff to shame. I've had a few 9mm 1911's too, the most recent being an STI Trojan that's trigger was pimped out with an SVI trigger, EGW fire-control, 15lb mainspring, and Konig hammer...

I decided I prefer the CZ's ergos much more as it allows for more support-hand on the gun and seems made for a high thumbs-forward grip.

IMHO a Shadow's SA pull is as good or better than the best 1911 out there... but really it's the 9mm round that seals the deal for me. In 9mm, 1911's are a headache, CZs run like steel Glocks.

I shoot 2011's like the picture, I like my trigger crisp and light <2# short reset. I've taken my CZ Shadow to the next level, the SA is <1.5 and the DA is not only light but the stroke has been shortened, so it comes off quick. The reset is very short. It started as an Angus custom, I put the special disconnector from the Cajun Gun Works ERRW kit in it along with the Ultimate trigger kit and extened firing pin. So I'm running an 8.5# main spring, CGW says only Federal primers only but I run Win SPP with no issues. YMMV

Actually a good friend has all the same stuff plus the hammer kit in his 75B that does have the FPB (I gave him my light FPB spring) and his DA is lighter than mine and the SA is almost as light.

When I let someone look at this gun, I tell them to take the slack out, and it always happens the hammer drops, it is a very light trigger, I may tweak the trigger return spring its a bit stiff.

My 2011 9 mm's run 100%, I do my part I drop check the ammo. If I run factory ammo in anything I drop check it also, amazing they have some bad rounds as well. I also clean the mags after dropping them in the dirt, clean the outside as well, to keep the dirt out of the beast. AFTEC.

Cajun Gun Works, for the parts.

Edited by CocoBolo