Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why do you shoot the division you shoot?

steviesterno

I only shoot Limited. Reasons why.....

(1) Locally Limited has the deepest talent pool and the most competition. I want to compete against the best on a weekly basis.

(2) I like having 20+ rounds in each magazine. Shooting on the clock is a lot more fun than doing a bunch of reloads.

(3) I like how there are relatively little gun or gear related rules to worry about. I want to be able to test/use new gun and gear configurations without worrying about it being legal or not.

(4) I like shooting iron sights. Getting very proficient with iron sights just seems more of a "Practical" skill verses using a Dot in Open.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot Production.

-I love the accuracy challenge that Production poses. Even on headboxes you still have to aim at that upper A zone.

-I love that there are so many different guns that are competitive. It truly does come down to who is the better shooter on a given day.

-I love the challenge that 10 rounds per magazine poses. It means I have to plan carefully how to run a stage, and errors in execution are magnified. It also means I get to reload more, and a fast reload is a competitive advantage.

-I love trying to beat the Limited and Open guys with my measly Production gun.

However, starting 2013 I'm switching to Limited. I just can't take the instability in Production division. The absurd (just my opinion) rule changes, the nonsensical rulings coming out of NROI, and the lack of meaningful checks at chrono all make me crazy, and I just don't want to deal with it any more.

Production:

Live in a 10 round limit state.

Can get reliable, widely available, competitive gear (Glock 34) for little money ( less than $700) and over the counter (no gunsmith required).

Can use least expensive, readily available caliber 9mm for both practice and competiition and still be competitive.

No real need to reload (time, space, equipment).

seems to be the most time and cost-effective division to do a lot of realistic practice, I.e. I am trying to spend more money improving myself than improving my equipment.

Finally, my 2 favorite shooters, Stoeger and Vogel compete or first made their mark in this division.

When I came back to USPSA last year after a long absence, I shot SS. I just like .45 ACP. I then bought a CZ Production gun because I wanted a 9mm to shoot 3 gun with and there were more people shooting Production. I've now bought a CZ in .40 and am planning to start shooting Limited. At my local club, most of the better shooters are in Limited, and I am really looking forward to running a modern firearm at capacity. I've come to feel that the 10 round capacity in Production is a bad idea, but I know that I'm in the minority.

I started in SS and shot it for 3 solid years. I made "A" and then found that I was winning most of the matches I shot. I need better competitors than me to keep me challenged and improving as a shooter. There are lots of really excellent single stack shooters in my area. Jr, Hannu, Higdon and Wong are all outstanding, but they dust off the SS pistols only on rare occasion. Even though I truly love SS division, I was forced to switch. Now that I shoot Limited and get my butt handed to me every weekend, I feel the challenge to get better all the time. I may never win another match, but it isn't just about winning. The journey is actually more imporant. One interesting thing to note... Limited division has taught me things about SS shooting, I never would have learned while shooting SS.

I started in Limited because I only had 5 mags and the matches where I first started had stages that were 50+ rounds. I used, and still use, and XDM40. Now, I have 4 mags that hold 20 and still shoot Limited, but the new area I am in, the stages are significantly lower round counts, so I am dipping into L10 as well.

I started out shooting production at weekly practice sessions, but as soon as I shot a friend's limited gun I had to have one. Shot limited for a year, then decided to give open a try because I am a gadget nut and it look like a space gun to non-shooters. I tried a friends revolver on a couple of stages and that will probably be my next buy as I found I did more "thinking" (and swearing) with the revolver than I would have ever guessed. What fun to have so many choices!

I shoot Standard IPSC, since it is the biggest devision here. ( Open is ussually 2-ce less )

After shooting for 2 years from a friends pistols ( Glock/Bull M5/Jericho) I got my hands on 1911 hi-capa at 40SW. After shooting 10 rounds something clicked in me.

ever since it is my round.

Then I got my hands on Shadow, so I wanted shadow-ish CZ with 40cal. So it was easy.

CZ-Ts 40SW

I started out shooting SS after a long time away from competition so I could work on my shooting skills with a gun just like the one I use for personal defense. I decided not to go back to open or limited because the guns are not like anything I would ever shoot in the real world.

After a year of SS I decide to go out and buy 10 round magazines so I would not have to worry about shooting positions in stages that required 9 and 10 shots (I know tell me about it). So now I am shooting Limited 10. No problem.

The other nice thing about L10 is not having to worry about the weight of the gun, the way the gun is setup, like no bull barrels, or the position of your gear on the belt. I like the no hassle thing in L10.

Limited because Im, well, Limited. Before all the other divisions came into place, I'd be heard quoting "Iron men, Iron sights." Now at 47 and my eyes are changing it seems daily.....

Open is just not me. Hate the noise. Production would be a division I'd enjoy if not for the feeling of stepping down.

Limited all the way, unless Im playing around, more or less testing equipment.

Edited by Seale

I shoot production myself. Simply because all I have is a Gen 4 Glock 17 right now, and I simply like leaving my guns stock. So its to my advantage to compete in Production since I don't have to worry about major power factor, or trying to mod my gun for open or limited.

I only shoot Production because I believe it is the best place to determine who the best shooter is .... no optical sights to 'help' you and with 10 rds max you must have good reloading skills as well. I know you can make internal mods to the gun but basically you have to take 'stock' gun anyone can buy, not a custom built race gun worth $3,000 +, put 10 rounds in it & see who can shoot the stage the faster & most accurate ... that to me is testing your shooting skills as opposed to testing other areas ... just MHO ... also, at 17 cents a rd, I can run a LOT of 9mm down the barrel ... which is the best way to become a better shooter ...

17 cents a round for 9mm? I'm running 230 grain plated 45 ACP for under 15cents a round... :surprise:

Similar here - I am shooting 38 Super for under 14cents/round (not counting brass).

The real problem is the gear, but deals are out there. I got a great deal on a used open gun setup (gun, mags, belt, holster, dies, 2k+ brass) for under $1600 delivered. I put 14k rounds through it last year...

• 2 months later...

I shoot standard because when I started standard and open where the only divisions in Norway. I've tried shooting an open pistol once and it was alot of fun, but to me it's just not real pistol shooting, it's like driving formula 1, it has an engine and four wheels, but it's not a real car anymore, it's evolved into something else.

Oh well, I'll probably end up shooting open sooner or later anyway :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from limited to production recently and plan on staying here for a while. For a few reasons:

Cost: the wife and I haven't been married very long and while we are doing pretty well for our age/stage of life it is nice to be able to pick up a stock gun, mags, and holster and be competitive. We are both shooting m&p's so we keep the same mags, parts kits, etc... for matches.

Multigun: with 9mm being competitive in most multigun matches there wasn't as much Incrntive to stick with major pf, plus for multigun matches my 9mm with extended base pads hold more rounds than my .40 did

Ammo: if I don't have time to load ammo or have it loaded I can stop and grab ammo about anywhere without looking for ammo that is loaded long.

I know most of this could be argued but it is what helped me make the move to production and while I will probably switch back to limited at some point I'm happy in production for now

I shoot L10 right now.

I bought a G35 for a combo home protection and GSSF gun. I shot in production initially (2 matches) until I checked all the rules and decided to go major.

In 5 minutes I can switch back to basic GSSF and I am too cheap to pay for the extra mags and extensions to shoot Limited.

I am still getting my feet under me in USPSA and pistol shooting in general. Took a long break in shooting sports due to work and other real life things (wives and girlfriends who do not like guns = BAD) but having a lot of fun right now.

Time to start reloading and working some things. May eventually go open but Limited is likely my next step plus 3 gun.

I mainly shoot OPEN. Reasons why.....

(1) The best shooters are in OPEN.

(2) I like having 20+ rounds in each magazine. Shooting on the clock is a lot more fun than doing a bunch of reloads.

(3) I like how there are relatively little gun or gear related rules to worry about. I want to be able to test/use new gun and gear configurations without worrying about it being legal or not.

(4) I like shooting red dot sights. Getting very proficient with a red dot will put me ahead of the curve for the time when most hand guns will have some type of electronic sight; in about 5 to 10 years. Living in Kalifornia, I can't "carry" my hand gun anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be shooting Production this year and next. It was an easy way to get back into the sport without investing too much to start. However, late 2013 I'll be primarily shooting Limited wile working some Production in there.

I shoot revolver mainly. Although I have shot the other divisions and still have all of the equipment needed for them. I find that revolver is much more challenging than any other division. I have also shot limited ten with an eight shot revolver just to see what that was like. Not too bad, but when I first started this game it was with a S&W model 28 and I finally decided to come back to my roots.

Started in Limited, STI .40 S&W because limited allowed me to do almost anything I wanted to get an advantage or just tinkering with the gun as it was a performance tool and who doesn't like to tinker a bit?

I thought the Open guns looked bulky and funky. However, I was impressed by the performance folks got out of those guns. Then I shot one.

With only shooting competition for a few months, I ordered my first open gun. I shot Limited for a year, but constantly thought about what it would be like if I was shooting Open instead and what I woudl have done different.

Once I got the open gun in hand, tuned and shot with it a few matches... I haven't looked back.

I like to tinker, I like to learn, I like to play with technology enhancements, I like to experiment with enhancements and loads to see if it makes me or the gun feel better and messing with new gear is also fun - so Open was a perfect fit.

The freedom I get and feeling I get to shoot the stage how I want to, to go as fast as I personally can because of the Open gun is like no other division experience.

Edited by Tactica

As a young guy with good eyes I figure if I can't learn to be semi competitive in production I surely won't do good anywhere else. All the fancy gizmos in the world won't make poor stage planning a good idea in any division any way. I sort of like the reloads. Makes me feel like I'm learning more than just fast shooting. Kind of adds to the action part of it I guess.