Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why do you shoot the division you shoot?

steviesterno

I shoot Production for a number of reasons, in no particular order:

1. I also shoot IDPA, so I can use the same setup in either Production or SS.

2. I live in a 10 round state, which pushes me to Prod,SS,L10, or Revo.

3. I like shooting my M&P the most of the guns I own.

4. Production is one of the deepest divisions around here competition wise (limited and open being the others)

5. I have gear queer tendencies, so production keeps that in check.

6. 9mm is cheap and easy to reload.

7. My carry gun is also an M&P, so more of the gun-handling skill transfers.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot Production because when I found out about this sport last year, thats the kind of guns I had in my safe lol Made it easy to get started...

I am sticking with production because I like the fact that I am getting beat not by a better gun, but by a better shooter. I suppose some might argue that point but thats how I see it. I also like the fact that there is a more strategic approach to stages, much like SS, L-10 and Revo, when compared to Limited and Open. No offense to those guys, but those big mags sure make stage planning a lot easier LOL.

Oh, and lest we not forget, the wife says no fancy race guns til I buy her a bigger house! OUCH!

I started in idpa with a 1911 because that's what I had. As I started to progress, went to a g34 mainly for capacity in 3gun, and started shooting production. Once I discovered that you could shoot ss minor with 10+1, essentially making it production with a 1911, it was a no brainer for me. I get the challenge of planning stages and reloads with a nice single action trigger!

Open

1994. "dad let's shoot Uspsa". Answer: no

2002. Dad winters in Florida with his Master Open shooting nephew.

2003. Dad is hooked to sport. Also sells his farm preparing for retirement. Buys 3 used Open guns.

2004. Dad gives me Open gun. And the fun begins. I have rebuilt it twice (own $$) and only the frame is the same.

2011. There are other divisions? Go figure.

Perjohn. I am thinking of starting in uspsa this year and i am looking at production or SS. My thinking is the same as yours about SS minor. I cant see buying a plastic gun that i am not a fan of and then sending it away to get worked on when I have a smith here in town that works on my bullseye .45 and does wonders to it. If I go SS I am thing Spartan 9mm I here they can be tuff to get working right. I am not one that worries about score at firs I just want to learn the game and enjoy it. Please help. Am I thing right.

After moving to Mississippi from Illinois I started looking for a club(s) that held IDPA match, but there where none in my area, so I searched for USPSA and there was one close by. Went to the USPSA web site and looked at the different divisions and their equipment requirements. Based on the requirements I had a gun legal for Production, my Springfield XD 9mm and one for Limited 10, my Springfield TRP Operator .45. Opted to the shoot the XD as 9mm is much cheaper and it was going to be easier to find a holster for the XD.

Now over a year later, I'm still shooting in Production, but with a M&P 9L. Buying a Springfield XD(m) 5.25 in 40 to shoot in Production till I decide to jump into Limited.

I shoot all 6 divisions, however I generally shoot Limited, Why, thinking about it, I think it may be because when I started there was Open and a category for Standard (limited) and I, while enamored of Open, didn't have the funds to purchase a custom gun. I had a 1911, I got some 10 round mags and went out and had fun. Since then I have expanded my horizons and shoot all divisions. My favorite remains Limited but I am growing attached to Revolver.

I shoot Production with a G17 because I wanted to shoot cheaply, and I didn't want to have one gun for CCW and one gun for competition.

I also didn't want to have to do any heavy gunsmithing or cleaning to keep it running.

I had previously shot an SP-01 Shadow in production but it was too heavy for carry, and was a tad bit harder to maintain.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

Did the shadow shoot better than the glock. What was the matntance problem. I did not think it was any heaver than a 1911

The shadow fit my hand better, and of course a tuned up shadow from CZ Custom had a nicer trigger. But the extractor needed cleaning and replacement about 10x as often as a Glock and replacing a hammer spring was a major undertaking. And a the Shadow's 42oz. vs the Glock's 22oz. is pretty much a no brainer for carry. Even the overall dimensions of a Glock are more carry friendly.

I'm focusing on Production this year because:

(1) My Open gun broke last year and got sold as parts, so I don't have an Open rig anymore.

(2) I just don't really shoot SS much at all any more. Moved on from 1911s to CZs.

(3) I seem to be able to run my Shadow a lot better than my TS.

(4) Reloading is actually fun.

Now onto some CZ discussion in reply of some recent posts I spotted...

But the extractor needed cleaning and replacement about 10x as often as a Glock...

This is the only downside I've found to my CZs. Their extractors seem to get dirtier much faster than any other platform I've shot or owned.

...and replacing a hammer spring was a major undertaking.

Not sure why it was such a problem for you... it's certainly no more complicated than swapping a mainspring in a 1911 (or various other platforms).

And a the Shadow's 42oz. vs the Glock's 22oz. is pretty much a no brainer for carry.

Right. You pick the Shadow. Oh wait, you're one of those silly-but-seemingly-everywhere people that prefer super-light guns. (j/k) :P

I myself always prefer heavier guns, even for carry. (The only lightweight gun I have for carry is a Kahr CM9, and that's just because I didn't want to spend nearly double to get a MK9 instead.)

Different strokes for different folks.

I did not think it was any heaver than a 1911

You can have a Production-legal Shadow that exceeds the weight limit for Single-Stack. ;)

One more OT post, I swear that's it.

...and replacing a hammer spring was a major undertaking.

Not sure why it was such a problem for you... it's certainly no more complicated than swapping a mainspring in a 1911 (or various other platforms).

I like my Glock for a reason. I don't have to replace nothing I don't want too :P But seriously the Glock is stupid simple and that's one of the things I really like about it.

And a the Shadow's 42oz. vs the Glock's 22oz. is pretty much a no brainer for carry.

Right. You pick the Shadow. Oh wait, you're one of those silly-but-seemingly-everywhere people that prefer super-light guns. (j/k) :P

If they had made a Phantom-Shadow I might have gone with that over a Glock.

I shoot production with a G17. I enjoy shooting competitions but don't have a bunch of money to buy and shoot multiple guns. Saving up to get a 1911 to shoot single stack with but that will take me the rest of the year since my daughter needs braces. I shoot limited on occasion with the same gun but not often.

Sent from my rotary dial phone

I shoot Glock 34 in Production beacuse its affordable, cheap ammo, tons of aftermarker and cheap OEM parts, less cleaning between stages and matches, no expensive gunsmithing, feels better in my hand and I shoot better with point and shoot closed target, and finally Im a fun of Sevigny & Vogel.Glock rocks!

I shoot limited. I bought a M&P pro in .40 to shoot both limited and production before really reading into the rules. It is not on the list yet. BUT this means I need to buy a 9mm for production so I am shoping for that. I am looking into a SS also.

Thanks,

Chris