Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reduce travel in sp01 shadow trigger

wackodacko

I have a shadow from the CZ Custom shop, its my first CZ so I dont know if its normal or not, but it has an unusually long travel, would like to shorten it. I shot another guy's Shadow and it was super short, he said a gunsmith monkeyed around with it. I took it to the same gunsmith and he said my trigger was fine. He probably didnt have time to take a look, but its definitely longer than I'm comfortable with

I have a shadow from the CZ Custom shop, its my first CZ so I dont know if its normal or not, but it has an unusually long travel, would like to shorten it. I shot another guy's Shadow and it was super short, he said a gunsmith monkeyed around with it. I took it to the same gunsmith and he said my trigger was fine. He probably didnt have time to take a look, but its definitely longer than I'm comfortable with

Your gun has an over travel screw on the trigger doesn't help with the slack. If you are talking about the length of the double action pull, I agree it is long, I shortened mine by installing the disconnector from Cajun Gun works. This disconnetor is part of the Extreme Reach Reduciton kit, the trigger in the kit is not legal for USPSA production and probably not IDPA. However the trigger has a pre travel adjustment so that you can take out all of that "pre travel" slack again not legal for USPSA. For me, the change in the angle of my finger with the shorter trigger made the double action pull a lot more tolerable. YMMV. I put the original trigger back in to make my gun legal for USPSA.

My shadow is a CZ Custom shop however I installed the UltraLight kit from Cajun Gunworks, the SA Pull is extremely low <2# and the DA pull weights is <6# using the 8.5# main spring from the kit. Mine reliably fires with Winchester Small Primers, however CGW recommends only Federal Primers. (requires light firing pin spring and extended firing pin).

Changing the Disconnector is not a hard task, but changing the Trigger well it takes a lot of patience and 4 hands to get the spring back in. If you are going to change out the trigger be sure to get the solid trigger pin, much easier to work with than the original. I did see a post in the Front SIght that the pin has been allowed in USPSA.

http://www.cajungunworks.com/ultra-lite.html

Edited by CocoBolo

What does YMMV mean? The CajunGunworks kit looks awesome, i think thats what i need. I cant be bothered with the HS8500 though because I will be shooting this internationally where Federal primer is not always readily available (usually its CCI or Winchester)

Why is it not legal for USPSA? I thought any type of trigger work is OK for Production division? I WILL bring it there...

If it is visible and it is, it is not legal. I definatley stated that in the post. The disconnector is legal and I love mine, and the spring kit.

This discussion on the trigger could be a long one, but it is not Legal.

Most gun smiths will not take a trigger down below 3#'s. Mine wouldn't either till he knew I had the skill necessary to operate it safetly in competition, we shot matches together. Yeah, I beat him, felt good.

What does YMMV mean? The CajunGunworks kit looks awesome, i think thats what i need. I cant be bothered with the HS8500 though because I will be shooting this internationally where Federal primer is not always readily available (usually its CCI or Winchester)

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary...

If you are going to shoot IPSC (not USPSA) matches you may want to review the rules on production guns. They are different than USPSA and they seem to have a hard-on for CZ Custom. As I understand, IPSC does not recognize CZ Custom as the "OFM".

The following is from Appendix D4:

19. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment,

or as an option, for a specific model handgun on the IPSC approved

handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:

19.1. Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of

burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably required in order to fit

replacement OFM parts or components, and/or identifying marks

which add or remove negligible weight to/from magazines), are

prohibited. Other prohibited modifications include those which

facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on

magwells, etc.) changing the original color and/or finish of a

handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

19.2. Magazines accessible to a competitor during a COF must not contain

more that 15 rounds at the Start Signal.

19.3. Sights may be trimmed, adjusted and/or have sight black applied.

20. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as

follows:

20.1. Aftermarket magazines are permitted, subject to 19.2 above.

20.2. Aftermarket open sights (see Rule 5.1.3.1) are permitted, provided

their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the

handgun.

20.3. Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for

the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see

Appendix F4) is permitted, however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

TTFN,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

if you are up to it

just cut the disconnector yourself.

there are two wings on it. they mate to the trigger bar. just trim the vertical and add a slight bevel.

Go slow, go even, couple of strokes at a time.

this would be good for USPSA rules.

for IPSC, I don't think this part is legal. they don't allow much done to the gun either working factory parts or adding aftermarket.

Edited by eerw

With the extended firing pin my shadow is 100% with winchester primers and the 11.5 lb hammer spring from CGW in DA. I had CGW modify the disconnector to shorten the DA pull and with the 11.5 hammer spring and extended firing pin from their kit I was getting FTF with winchester primers on the first DA shot and had to go 15lb spring to get reliable ignition for the first DA shot. I found I prefered the 11.5 spring and unmodified disconnector with the longer pull then the 15lb spring with the shorter DA stroke and reinstalled an unmodified disconnector.

With federal primers I was getting 100% DA ignition with 11.5 even with the modfied disconnector, however I like the option of being able pick up some white box in an emergency.

If you look the DA stroke of the cz is slightly shorter then the SA stroke even with an unmodified diconnector, modfiying the diconnector makes it even shorter and thus imparts even less energy on the firing pin.

Personally I view the long DA stroke of the CZ as a double edged sword, yes it is long however I think its the reason the CZ has such a sweet DA pull compared to most DA guns as it allows you to run lighter hammer springs.

That being said the CGW Ultra lite double action kit is worth the money imo. If you were not as lazy as me you can run the 8.5 spring and federal primers only and have an unheard of 5-6 lb DA pull with very little fuss or work on your part.

Putting on thin grips will also increase the reach of your fingers.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

yep, but legal for USPSA production.

True, but the OP said he was going to shoot internationally.,,

ETA: And the trigger pull issue will also include the next World Shoot in FL.

Edited by ChuckS