Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best semi

matthewbas

I shoot alot of shotgun sports and have most of the guns mentioned above. I agree with Brian in the post above but think there should be three things in front of his suggestions and those are fit,fit,and fit. Your eye is the rear sight with a shotgun and when shooting at fast moving targets you don't have the time to be aiming at the target your, gun needs to shoot where you are looking. That being said, in an auto I like the new Berreta Excel A400 the best. Light but well balanced, very light recoil, and very dependable. I have Benellis (kick to much), Remingtons (not as reliable), and Brownings (also not as reliable).It's not like three gun where you are aiming at things. IMHO

If is dosen't fit it does not matter what brand it is you won't hit targets with it. I shoot a Custom Grade Kolar O/U for Sporting Clays and Trap Doubles and a Seitz for 16 yard and Handicap Trap. My back up guns for both games are 4 Beretta 303s. The 303 is one of the best auto loaders built in my opinion. The actions are extremely smooth and reliable. If you can find a nice one buy it. I shoot them when it rains and on Sunday afternoons of 400 target events when I am feeling tired. One thing all of the guns have in common is that they have all been custom fit to me.

Over the time that I have been shooting sporting clays seriously (15 years or so), I have seen a migration away from "B" gun o/u's and toward Beretta 391s (and now to some extent A400s). Now what I see is most of (but not all of) the pros shooting Kriegoffs and Perazzis (as they always have) and more and more other hotshots shooting Berettas. There are some pretty good reasons for this, with recoil mitigation and the longer sighting plane topping the list.

• 4 years later...

Browning X-Bolt is a semi automatic rifle which is perfect for shooting. It is the softest and most reliable shotgun in the industry. It is ultra reliable, fast handling and ingenious design loaded with many features.

3 hours ago, jimmymuller said:

Browning X-Bolt is a semi automatic rifle which is perfect for shooting. It is the softest and most reliable shotgun in the industry. It is ultra reliable, fast handling and ingenious design loaded with many features.

what?????? this makes zero sense.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone had any experience with the Stoeger 3000 Sporting model w30 in ported bbl? Reliability, fit, poi etc.. I haven’t gotten to lay my hands on one yet but I plan to. I shoot a buddy’s 391 Teknys but it doesn’t fit me and I’m on a budget for a dedicated clays gun. I mostly shoot sporting clays and occasional round of skeet 

Edited by chanman

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my A400 Xcel and I really like it. Had my first fitting appointment Friday and he said that all I should need is a little cast off, should be doable with the provided shims. He wants me to practice (get more consistent) my mount and shoot at least 500 birds before he actually does anything with the gun. He seems to know what he is doing. It's kinda scary pointing a gun at someone's eye.

• 1 year later...