Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Nationals Dates Posted

TRNinTX

The biggest issue is the last dates posted for Steel Challenge are Oct 25-28 on the other side of the country, Frostproof, FL.

Not sure how both shooters and staff are going to be able to make that transition and get the time off.

While I am very happy to see USPSA FINALLY announcing the Nationals dates in reasonable time this year, has anyone noticed the conflict with the Pan American Chapmionship? (Do enough people care for this to even be an issue?)

Pan Am HG Championship (in Paraquay) 6-13 October

USPSA Nationals (in Las Vegas) 13-21 October

Just curious ...

While I am very happy to see USPSA FINALLY announcing the Nationals dates in reasonable time this year, has anyone noticed the conflict with the Pan American Chapmionship? (Do enough people care for this to even be an issue?)

Just curious ...

If you're competing at a level that makes both of these must-go events, is it a problem to shoot two majors back to back?

BB

If you're competing at a level that makes both of these must-go events, is it a problem to shoot two majors back to back?

BB

Back-to-back ... No, not really. But overlapping, YES. Not only is there the overlap of 1 day by schedule, but you must consider the transit time from venue to venue. At best, that is an additional day. By the time one could travel from Paraquay to Vegas the first half of our Nationals would be 1/2 over. An optimal separation would be about a 1 week difference. This allows for transit times and the various logistics involved.

I doubt there are a large number of shooters who would be affected by this even if there were a 1 week gap, but the trend of late has been for our Nationals to be scheduled very close to major international events.

For me, it may be moot this year. It's beginning to look like I will not be able to afford a major trip overseas, scheduling notwithstanding. Nevertheless ... and I'm simply wondering this outloud ... Is anyone on either side of the equation even LOOKING at such things?

Just curious ...

I'm not sure if that one factored in or not. I know Mike does try his best to schedule around most other events. Last year we had the pressure to squeeze it in before the WS. I know the original plan was to put it a week earlier but there was a conflict that required the change to the weekend it fell on. The IDPA "World Shoot" was announced at almost the same time we announced Nats. I'm sure it wasn't considered because no one knew about it. USPSA has a number of Nationals and other events it puts on. Lim/Prod Nats, O/L10 Nats (and no I don't know if that is the breakdown, and yes I realized I didn't put Revo it. Just couldnt' remember which one it went with this year. It's not a plot.) Single Stack Nats, MG Nats, and Steel Challenge. On top of that there are 8 Area matches, and a host of other discipline matches, Bianchi, Rocky Mountain, Blue Ridge etc. While we don't necessarily have to schedule around them it's in everyone's interest to do so. There are 35-40 (at least) weekends a year with a level II or higher, or major match for another discipline. Can't speak for Mike since I haven't talked to him about it this year. I know it's always a push trying to get the best weekend for our premier event. Having it in Vegas is great for a variety of reasons, but it also offers a limited window of time when it's fun to be outside. I've been there in January and been hit with a freaking monsoon, and July when it's 115. Neither time do I really want to hang out on the range. And I sure don't want to try and get staff to spend 9 days hanging out on the range in either condition. October is an awsome month in general down there. I'm looking forward to the match.

I was really wanting to try to make the MG nat'ls this year but having it the week before the Larue match is gonna make that impossible, again, for me to go. I am really, really happy that the schedule is out already, though. I was going to have to "guess" when the MG might be & hope to get those dates for vacation at work, then to find out I was several months off in my guess would have been frustrating.

To whoever it is that has managed to get the schedule released before the end of the year, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

MLM

The biggest issue is the last dates posted for Steel Challenge are Oct 25-28 on the other side of the country, Frostproof, FL.

Not sure how both shooters and staff are going to be able to make that transition and get the time off.

No worries. The Steel Challenge dates have been released, Nov 1-4, 2012, Frostproof, FL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What is the format for the Limited nationals? Does everybody shoot it in 1 day, or is it 1/2 days.......? Thanks!

Nationals is all 1/2 day formats. Usually 3 or 4 of them. Nobody can shoot all those stages in 100 degree heat in one day or even two days.

With MG in April and Handgun in October the weather should be fairly comfortable. We usually don't see the 100's 'til late May and typically are done with 'em by mid-September.

That said, it is the desert and God has a habit of surprising us...

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I got the call from USPSA HQ that I had earned a slot to this years Nats, and that was about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but I have yet to actually SEE this imaginary, invisible, said slot! LOL

Has everyone else received your slots yet? Or is my mailman reading that too, like he does to all my Front Sight mags & Dillon Blue Presses? :lol::rolleyes::roflol:

Edited by Chris Keen

Okay, I got the call from USPSA HQ that I had earned a slot to this years Nats, and that was about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but I have yet to actually SEE this imaginary, invisible, said slot! LOL

Has everyone else received your slots yet? Or is my mailman reading that too, like he does to all my Front Sight mags & Dillon Blue Presses? :lol::rolleyes::roflol:

If I told you what your mailman is doing, you'd never again touch your water bill.