Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera Lenses - DSLR

Patrick.. did you find a nice decent height monopod, not made for the vertically impaired?

All I see: are mostly 60-62 inches.

My local shop doesn't have Gitzo, they're all Manfrotto. Which seem ok.. I do prefer the flip locks vs screw leg locks (easier to use in the cold), but the quality doesn't seem to be there.

Dave, checkout Really Right Stuff they make good tripods and monopods too.

Norbert..

I saw that stuff form looking at the head you posted before - great stuff. .just wanted to see it.. bay area.. probably find them easy... here.. not so much - lol

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Norbert..

I saw that stuff form looking at the head you posted before - great stuff. .just wanted to see it.. bay area.. probably find them easy... here.. not so much - lol

RRS is Internet order only... I have a BH-55 and a few camera and lens plates, plus their pano elements kit. Very well made stuff. Pricey, yes, but worth it in my estimation...

Norbert..

RRS is Internet order only... I have a BH-55 and a few camera and lens plates, plus their pano elements kit. Very well made stuff. Pricey, yes, but worth it in my estimation...

Thanks Dave.. I do like to buy locally whenever I can here... sometimes, small towns.. no choice

There are some gems in the lineup that aren't L, and 85/1.8 is one of them.....

I've shot with that lens and both versions of the 85/1.2L. Optically the L lenses are gorgeous, and 1.2 is nice, though very tricky to focus, if actually shooting at 1.2.....

I've shot w/ an 85/1.2 II - I agree that it's gorgeous when used for it's intended purpose (wide-ish open portrait lens). It's wicked sharp in the center, but it falls off pretty quickly, and it has some barrel distortion to it (not a lot - nothing you'd notice in a portrait, but you can see it in photos w/ straight lines).

Never shot w/ the 85/1.8, but it's the one I'd buy if I wanted a general purpose lens...

On the other hand, autofocus only (really) works on the 1.8 lens. AF speed on the other two could be best measured with a sundial or one of those hourglasses with sand....

The 85/1.2 II that I shot with had reasonable AF ability, but I wouldn't call it quick (the 17-40/4 that Dave has is faster). It wasn't sundial slow, either, though - the older version apparently was pretty appalling - still, I'd rather it be faster for a lens that I spent that much on... It might have something to do with speed of AF on the camera itself, as well - the 1DMkIII I shoot with is fairly snappy in that regard...

I'm probably showing my sports -- read basketball in lots of atrociously dark high school gyms -- bias here as well. The 85/1.2s were never fast enough focusing in less than ideal conditions....

The second version was much improved, but the 1.8 would run circles around it, at ~ 1/4 of the price.....

If I go digital camera again, it will be on my must have list.

• 2 months later...

Finally got everything.. I went cheap on the head.. got one from B&H for about $75.. not nearly as nice as the RSS.. but at least I can see if I'll even use it.

Holds the bigger lens with the camera very firmly

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743890-REG/Benro_BH2_BH2_Ballhead_with_Quick.html

Now, have to go down into the park and try it all out

If I go digital camera again, it will be on my must have list.

If you go digital again...we've got high ISO's (errr ASA for us old guys)...I remember when 800 came out...WOW.

The ability to change ISO on the fly, shot to shot still blows my mind.

That big ole 1.2 85L is a LOT of heavy glass to be moving fast. I feel the force with this lens...must resist buying..must resist...

D., lets see those pics from the park.

• 1 month later...

Finally went into the park.. hoping calving season had started.. but it hadn't

Antelope taken at 500mm.. Bison.. at 200mm,, both are really 4,928 x 3,264.. shrunk here to 640x480

Landscape .. north towards Cooke City.. was at 60mm

post-2785-0-36897600-1334526710_thumb.jp

post-2785-0-33823600-1334526718_thumb.jp

post-2785-0-00431600-1334526865_thumb.jp

Edited by D.Hayden