dskinsler83

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot a Beretta 92.

It starts out DA. Then goes to SA.

It took a while to get used to that.

But I don't use the DA trigger pull as an excuse or a crutch for my shooting scores or performance.

I don't lament NOT having a 9mm 1911 to shoot ESP with.

That's why I say just skip classifying semi-auto pistols by action type.... just go major power factor division and minor power factor division.

Frankly in real life there is not enough of a difference between major and minor calibers in stopping power to justify different divisions. But if you are going to have major and minor it should be based on full power ammo not the watered down power factors we use now. (1200 fps with a 124 grain bullet for minor and 850 with a 230 grain bullet for major.)

a discussion of stopping power or terminal ballistics can and IIRC has gotten several past threads closed down. there are other forums for that kinda talk.

No doubt, it takes longer for a beginner to intermediate shooter to shoot a major power factor'ed pistol than a minor power factor'ed one.

And then consider that in my ideal IDPA dream world, the major guns which would mainly be the old .45 ACP 1911's from CDP will only hold 8 +1 .

The minor division guys would be at the old ESP and SSP magazine capacity of 10+1

Loose the BARREL BUSHING RULE FOR ESP. Numerous guns come without them that are carried everyday why can't i shoot it in IDPA? I also think stage walk throughs should go away. If we are going to practice for Practical Applications I have never walked through a gun fight overseas prior to it happening to get the target layout. And we should be able to load mags to full capacity who only put 10rnds in a 17rnd factory mag? The knee pad rule I think should stay do you were them out and about to wal-mart I didn't think so.

Edited by deerassassin22

not really a rule change, and maybe this was covered somewhere else, buttt...

on String 4 of Stage 1 of the classifier, it has you doing two to the head, two to the head, two to the head on targets T1 through T3.

make that String 1

then make Strings 2, 3, and 4, two to the body, one to the head on T1, then T2, and then T3

that way, I think it would make it easier to discern which shots dropped into the body and need to be pasted and later scords as misses.

If you can see right after shooting T1 with two to the body and one to the head, then just have the shooter holster up, put his hands on top of his head, then walk forward to paste the offending hole which was the shot that "fell" into the chest area instead of landing in the head.

not really a rule change, and maybe this was covered somewhere else, buttt...

on String 4 of Stage 1 of the classifier, it has you doing two to the head, two to the head, two to the head on targets T1 through T3.

make that String 1

then make Strings 2, 3, and 4, two to the body, one to the head on T1, then T2, and then T3

that way, I think it would make it easier to discern which shots dropped into the body and need to be pasted and later scords as misses.

If you can see right after shooting T1 with two to the body and one to the head, then just have the shooter holster up, put his hands on top of his head, then walk forward to paste the offending hole which was the shot that "fell" into the chest area instead of landing in the head.

Brilliant.

Really.

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate it.

It donned on me last Monday or Tuesday when me and 9 buddies were shooting the classifier at night, in the dark, out in the sticks. We went forward to paste one of my targets where a head shot had dropped into the body, and the SO wanted to paste one of my perfect down zero hits in the chest. I was like, "Whhaa....whaa...WAIT!"

The knee pad rule I think should stay do you were them out and about to wal-mart I didn't think so.

I don't wear ear muffs and safety glasses to Walmart, either.

I did once see a cop qualifying with no eye or ear protection by your logic.

Think clearly now Jim.

When you go to Wal Mart you're not planning on shooting 150 rounds, or even one round. You might, however kneel down to reach a box of bran flakes in the back of the bottom row.

Shooting without hearing protection is immediately dangerous. Kneeling without kneepads is extremely common.

Edited by Steve Koski

A wise and strangely dressed man once said:

You know... this Rugby game is really cool. Really tough guys play it. It's almost as good a game as we have in the NFL. As a former high school foot ball player, I really enjoy playing Rugby. But it's got some things holding it back from really becoming popular.

Why can't I wear my shoulder pads? This game is dangerous. And my helmet too. I mean, concussions are a very real danger. People can get harmed for life!

Rugby tends to drag on and on with just running forward. Yeah, I can toss the ball sideways or backwards. But come on. There is no real reason I should not be able to throw the ball forward. Look how much more ground I could gain with a forward pass. It's just dumb not to allow the forward pass.

And look how many new players we could get into the sport from the ranks of guys who played high school football if we just changed the rugby rules a bit to make it look more like football.

You know... this Rugby game is really cool. Really tough guys play it. It's almost as good a game as we have in the NFL. As a former high school foot ball player, I really enjoy playing Rugby. But it's got some things holding it back from really becoming popular.

Why can't I wear my shoulder pads? This game is dangerous. And my helmet too. I mean, concussions are a very real danger. People can get harmed for life!

Rugby tends to drag on and on with just running forward. Yeah, I can toss the ball sideways or backwards. But come on. There is no real reason I should not be able to throw the ball forward. Look how much more ground I could gain with a forward pass. It's just dumb not to allow the forward pass.

And look how many new players we could get into the sport from the ranks of guys who played high school football if we just changed the rugby rules a bit to make it look more like football.

Steve:

Rugby has been around since 1823 whereas football came into being 1892, and an offshoot of rugby, in otherwords, footbal is the offshoot bastard of rugby.

http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/originsofrugby.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

The Bad

-Remove steel in front of NT's

-Remove mag retention

Why?

and you should have all carry ammo in your custody at all times. Leaving ammo at the scene with your prints on it can't help you in anyway, but it can hurt.

or 3 shots this stage and 2 shots that stage.

Why would you want this? The double tap is soo engrained into people that when asked to do a 3 4 or 5 round drill, they cant shoot a straight cadence, but rather pairs. This is a training/competition scar.

No one does a tac load or RWR in a fight and if IDPA wants to be more "real life" then this needs to go.

I know some people who do tac reloads in the lull of a fight.

The good

. Eliminate Round Dumping rule - there is no way to properly I force it.
1. Creat a tactical division in which those of us with duty guns that have lights on them can play, also allow lasers, red dots on the slide etc. Basically a division to test the current crop of new technology for carry guns. In this division allow guns to be loaded to capacity.
Id love a rule book instead of a suggestion pamplet.

The vague, contradictory and undefined verbiage in IDPA's pamphlet leads to constant problems heartaches and lack of consistency. IDPA HQ doesnt even follow their own suggestions.

Verbs like "should" or "encouraged" to have no place in a rule book.

No more 1-1-2-1-1,

Tac sequence is stupid.

The first thing I would change would be to make it a association with ELECTED officers in charge instead of it just being a business. Then the sport can become what the membership wants it to be.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IDPA needs to admit to itself that it is a game. Do you think the guy with the 5.11 shorts, G34 in a comptac with fiber fronts and shoot me first vest isnt doing any "gamesmanship"?

Why are ties settled by"shooting,not by chance" yet the inverse is rule of giving out prizes at major matches? Winners should get the prizes. How is that not based in self defense? The winner get's to live, the loser dosent. Seems like a prize to me.

Take away a lot of the COF rules. Just because most gunfights happen close up dosent mean we shouldnt challenge shooters to a higher standard with targets at range and limited exposed targets.

FDTR should be for things like sticking your gun past cover or thru a port(which people never get hit for), not for being smart enough to shoot the stage in a way that is still within the rules, but makes the other shooters cry "cheater".

Take away the "ground" rule. As long as a shooter retains the partial mag before moving, he's fine.

The rule book should be re-written to take out the word "open" concealment garment. An extremely dense RO could take this as closed front shirts arnt IDPA legal.

Why does a organization based in self defense principles not want to have a foot race? God forbit shooters deal with a elevated heartrate do to physical factors, like in you know, a fight.

"THe rules of IDPA are minimal" LOL

Edited by theblacknight

Kneeling without kneepads is extremely common.

Sure -- for those folks without knee injuries. For folks doing it on smooth surfaces, able to take their time.....

Introduce a clock, perhaps have movement to the kneeling position, and then do it outdoors, without any kind of terrain preparation, and it becomes a different story......

Also, since we're making these potential real world correlations -- don't we want to preserve as many of a competitor's physical abilities as possible, for the extreme remote chance that they might actually have to engage in a gun fight at some point? An IDPA acquired knee injury won't be an asset on that day.....

No one does a tac load or RWR in a fight and if IDPA wants to be more "real life" then this needs to go.

I know some people who do tac reloads in the lull of a fight.

When is the lull of a stage? I didnt know the timer ever stopped or slowed down..

When is the lull of a stage?

I have seen a VERY few stages in which you were given a "lull" to tac load, with a restart on the timer.

The warning was that while it was not on the clock, you would be rushed and hassled if you did not perform it promptly.

Steve:

Rugby has been around since 1823 whereas football came into being 1892, and an offshoot of rugby, in otherwords, footbal is the offshoot bastard of rugby.

http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/originsofrugby.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

USPSA came about it 1976. IDPA came about it 1996. While the time lines are different the analogy fits. Take a perfectly good game and change it to be more like another perfectly good game. Instead of taking the 1st game and changing it into the second you're taking the second and changing it into the first. End result is you end up with one game in either scenario.

Edited by Don Springer