Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any lower cost alternatives to Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights?

mig1

So, I'm about 90% done with my first AR competition build and I am absolutely enamored with the Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights from Surefire.

However, I'm not $240 enamored with them. I just can't see forking out that much cash at this point for BUIS.

Are there any other options that provide for constant up, 45^ angled BUIS that will clear under my Burris 1-4x TAC30?

So, I'm about 90% done with my first AR competition build and I am absolutely enamored with the Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights from Surefire.

However, I'm not $240 enamored with them. I just can't see forking out that much cash at this point for BUIS.

Are there any other options that provide for constant up, 45^ angled BUIS that will clear under my Burris 1-4x TAC30?

I use a set of Magpul BUIS on Daniel Defense 45 degree off set mounts. that set up is much more affordable.

NoveskewithTR24.jpg

If you prefer the sights up you could get a simple fixed daniel defense front and rear sight instead of the magpul ones for more money.

pat

I am absolutely enamored with the Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights from Surefire.

Why? lol...

JP has the SRTS: http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSRTS

I think you'll find the scope on 1x is just as fast...

I had one of those for a little while and did not like it. It was only usefull at shorter ranges. I also found it slower for me to use and aquire. I much prefer standard AR sights in off set mounts like the Dueck Defense sights. They are as fast as standard irons with just a slight roll of the rifle. They also can be sighted in like standard rifle sights to work out at longer ranges if needed. I sighted mine in at 50 yards which allowed me to hit to about 200 with ease.

But I agree a scope on 1x is a better option. I use the off set sights above on my work rifle to deal with glass fogging when you come inside after being outside for while in the cold. On a three gun rifle I prefer a good 1x to 4,5,6 x scope.

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I would save the money and use it on some ammo to shoot the gun with instead of something you don't need. Those optics on 1x is faster than switching to BUIS on a 45 degree mount anyways. If you go any route get the JP and I have tried out the magpul BUIS and they are junk but you get what you pay for. The Troys are much better.

I would save the money and use it on some ammo to shoot the gun with instead of something you don't need. Those optics on 1x is faster than switching to BUIS on a 45 degree mount anyways. If you go any route get the JP and I have tried out the magpul BUIS and they are junk but you get what you pay for. The Troys are much better.

I do prefer the Troys as well but the magpuls are far from Junk. They do well for their intended purpose. From a functional standpoint of shooting paper targets and steel targets I have found no difference.

I had Troys on the rifle pictured prior and switched to mag puls. Used the troys on another build.

N4sideironssetup.jpg

SideIrons.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the great feedback (and pictures!).

I actually have a YHM or DD (I forget which) angled offset mount I was thinking about using for something like this if I didn't use it for a light on something else. I could always buy another one to pair it up. But I'm guessing the angled mount plus BUIS would be heavier than the Surefire option.

The reason for not going with the JP option is becuase the sight radius just looks too short.

My optic is a Burris TAC30 1-4. So, I do have the option for dropping back to 1x on the Burris.

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the great feedback (and pictures!).

I actually have a YHM or DD (I forget which) angled offset mount I was thinking about using for something like this if I didn't use it for a light on something else. I could always buy another one to pair it up. But I'm guessing the angled mount plus BUIS would be heavier than the Surefire option.

The reason for not going with the JP option is becuase the sight radius just looks too short.

My optic is a Burris TAC30 1-4. So, I do have the option for dropping back to 1x on the Burris.

Another small advantage to the offset irons, is on rare occasion when you have hoser targets up close and immediately follow up with long range targets, you can set your scope on 4X and use the irons up close, then roll to scope without ever removing you hands to make scope adjustment.

A much bigger advantage is the fact that you can use a 2.5-10x scope and then use the irons for the up close hoser targets. If you've got a 1-4x optic they're not that beneficial, unless you're transitioning back and forth from 4x to 1x a lot.

I rolled my own before seeing the Dueck's. Used some old Magpul buis I had combined with a couple $8 NCstar offset mounts off Amazon. 0-25yards I use the offset irons, 25+ the TA33. I like the setup a lot.

The one thing I would say is that there is an offset from the plane of the barrel, past 25yrds, the offset starts throwing rounds up & left of POA. Not a deal-killer since I need optics past 25 anyway :-). I imagine the Dueck's are better engineered to avoid this. Pic below:

xp51k8.jpg

25krhgw.jpg

Edited by DoNoHarm

There was just a set or two for sale for considerably less that MSRP. You might wan't to look back a little in the classifieds.

I started to make my own, DD offsets and the sights I wanted to use… it would have been about $50 less than the Dueck's. I said "oh what the heck" and just bought the Dueck's,

My only complaint/wish is that the rear was an A1 style as opposed to A2. More robust and less stuff in my field of view.

I rolled my own before seeing the Dueck's. Used some old Magpul buis I had combined with a couple $8 NCstar offset mounts off Amazon. 0-25yards I use the offset irons, 25+ the TA33. I like the setup a lot.

The one thing I would say is that there is an offset from the plane of the barrel, past 25yrds, the offset starts throwing rounds up & left of POA. Not a deal-killer since I need optics past 25 anyway :-). I imagine the Dueck's are better engineered to avoid this. Pic below:

xp51k8.jpg

25krhgw.jpg

That off set is minimized by zeroing the rifle further out. I zero my offset irons at the standard 50/200 battle size zero and I have been able to hit out to 200 with it.

Pat

• 1 year later...

I got some stupid cheap 45 degree offset irons for my stag 3G from amazon. They were like 40 bucks made in china. I zeroed my Burris tac 30 in like 9 shots. The irons are still taking some time. I'll go back to the range Monday. I think my issue is that I shoot lefty. So I'm trying to figure out if I need to go backwards with the adjustments as the sights are mounted on the left rather than the right.

I too bought the knock-offs off ebay. For all the more I use them they work quite well. I added a truglo FO front(not recommended), it is hard to see in the sunlight, in the dark, with my eyes open, with my eyes shut, you get the point. My knock-offs even have the dueck logo on them.

I've got 4 sets of dueck's and then ordered a set of the knock offs on amazon for $40 with 3.99 overnight shipping. Looking at both you can tell a difference in quality, however I've ran the piss out of the knock offs and they've held zero, and haven't broken yet.

I use the amazon knock offs as well. no issues at all.

Was not sure I would like angled sights so figured I would try knock offs and if I liked them buy the real ones. After using them I dont see a need to change them out. they work great.

BUT like others have said at 1x my Vortex scope is just as fast.

Of note, I've since gone to 1x on my TR24 instead of the offset sights. I kept getting buggered up on weak-side stage setups. Still prefer my old TA33 though, it outshoots the TR24 at 200-300 yard stages all day long.

If anyone wants my pair of cheap amazon offset rail mounts, I'll give'em to you, just pay for the shipping and I'll send them out to you.

Alternatively, saw these on amazon as well: http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Rapid-Transition-Backup/dp/B006X9DLQM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360704848&sr=8-7&keywords=offset+rail