Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Brand of Primer for Pistol, Revolver, & Rifle

benos

This is a common question I get: What primers for pistol, revolver, and rifle would you recommend?

From everything I've heard and read, I know that the modern day primer QC is a sad comparison to what it was in the '90s.

Please list other brands of primers that are available today, other than the "big four."

be

I don't know where this information came from as I have never had a problem with Federal in my Revolvers, in fact they are the only ones that go off reliably in a tuned 625. I haven't had any problems with Winchester or CCI in my Glocks with stock firing pin springs or the 1911's. Remington #209's are the only primer I use for match loads in 4 different gauges.

I've used many Federal primers in both my 650 and 1050, they work fine. Just too soft for most of my major loads :-). I'm a fan of the $15 per thousand Wolf primers. May not make much of a difference in price per round, but when you're buying 30-50k at a time, saving $10-15 per thousand means you can order a LOT more bullets :-D

I dont have any problems with federal primers, but I do avoid buying them beacause they come in a ridiculous huge box. It takes up a lot of room shipping and storing them when you've got 30k of them sitting around. I just avoid them for that not that they ever gave me any problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wolf primers seem to work quite well, plus, they are presently $15.00 per K @ Powder Valley which is quite a savings over other brands.

From what I've heard, they work well if you have stock hammer or striker springs, or shoot them exclusively in rifles. Once you start going with reduced power springs, I've heard from more than one shooter that you get something like this:

Another shooter complained to me that it leaves a yellow residue in the primer magazine tube of his press. He agrees that it's cheap, and during the primer shortage years, it was more accessible than other primers.

• 7 months later...

Curious as to why no love for Remington primers? I use a variety and prefer CCI in rifle and win/rem in pistol. Just picked up some Fed #100 as I can't seem to be able to catch others in stock locally. Judging by the votes, maybe I should go back and get more!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I must say... I never have any issues out of Winchester or CCI.... I do use some Federal from time to time but... they are a little lighter than most witch causes issues in my Dillon RF-100..... I'm a fan of CCI / Winchester primers for Small & Large.

• 4 weeks later...