Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for a fat guy

Gadgetech

here is a hint. If you are the grocery shopper, stay in the outside aisles longest and avoid the inner aisles. Do not drink your calories, so no fruit juice etc. Lower your carbohydrate intake and increase your lean protein, preferably chicken and fish, and increase your fiber (fresh fruits and veggies, NEVER canned). And be creative, mix it up. If you eat broil chicken everyday, you will be off the eating plan before you can say cluck cluck. Drink lots of water, and I mean at least 8-8oz glasses a day. Take a multivitamin.

Exercise is key, but start slow. If your level of fitness is low, just start with a 20 minute walk. Try to keep a pace that let's you break a light sweat. When you can do 30 minutes at the same pace without breaking a sweat, join a gym.

As far as diets go, they are not easy. Weight watchers is a healthy eating plan. Most people want fast results, but often they are short lived because the plan is not sustainable, Also get some support from a friend or family member to help on this journey. Let your friends and family know you are doing this and that you want them to support you, not to say stuff like "let's go get a pizza".

Edited by johniac7078

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also suggest going to the Pool if you are a good swimmer swimming increases core and is no impact on joints. I just turned 41 and am getting back into shape. like some i am tired of being the "Fat guy" I am 6'5" 345lbs i started to go to the gym a few months ago but ended up getting plantar fasciitis. i came out of the gate walking 1 mile every day ( to much impact on bad shoes) so i am going to try just swimming for a but to get some weight off before i try the long walking thing again. But agree with everyone cross-fit is great just don't over do it right off the bat. If you are not that active you must like all things start out slowly and build on it.

• 4 months later...

I realized that after finishing LVN school and currently studying for boards, its gonna be hard to convince a patient to live healthy if I'm obese. I'm 5'6" and started the new year at 268 lbs. On 1/19/13 I decided to actually use my "Lose It" app on my iPhone, just curious to see how much calories I'm really eating. I added up all the stuff I ate and I took in 2,966 in one day :o and on top of that I lived a sedentary lifestyle, go sit down at work then go home and sit down and watch TV/Internet. The app had me down for 2,109 cals a day for what goal I wanted: 100 lbs, 2 lb loss a week (thats the max) and it quoted me that I should loose that amount by 2/3/13. Since I started that almost 4 wks ago, I've been doing well as far as keeping my calories below the max, I've lost about 16 lbs so far and just started exercising 2 days ago with just a jog/walk. Another reason to lose weight besides health, is I'd like to start in USPSA open, and having your gut overflow onto the mags and mag holders would not be comfy.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same exact spot as Vash, Sitting at desk all day and TV/PC at night. I hit my all time heaviest this past winter. Even with downhill skiing with my kids 4-6 hours a week my eating and other habits were really bad. I'm 5'9" peaked out at 278. My wife and I started using LoseIt on March 3rd and in that time I've lost almost 20 lbs and now got back to what was my average carry weight over the past year. I've been a HUGE Mtn Dew drinker and fast food eater for many years. And figured I didn't have time or want to exercise. Here's the personal goals I hit since we've started this new journey.

1. After two weeks I couldn't drink sugared sodas and energy drinks. After 4 total weeks I'm pretty much completely diet soda and sugar free energy drink free. I'm not completely cold turkey as I'm doing water and MIO or other powdered drinks. I've worked on packing both a breakfast and lunch for work and eat in 4 of 5 days a week. This has allowed me to start slowly working out in the campus fitness center doing stretching and treadmill work. Evenings after dinner I started working out with my wife's zumba videos which have helped greatly doing 15 min at a time and working my way currently up to 30 min. This has helped greatly with cardo endurance and core building.

Over the last two years I have lost 40 pounds. I am down to the same weight I was in the Army 1967-1969. I am 5' 10". For the last year of losing and

keeping the weight off I have used Lose It, circut training, bicycling and running.

Another good thing to do is portion control. Use a smaller plate and dish it out in the kitchen and carry it to the dining room. Don't put a big bowl on the table because if you are like me...... you will take two or more helpings. Also there are some very good low cal frozen food dinners available at the Super market. They make aquick and easy lunch or dinner.

Good luck

I don't recommend making radical changes to your diet like going to paleo or anything like that. I know people swear by it, but it's a way for a lot of people to get turned off the idea of losing weight, because you're going away from what you like.

Set a goal, then find a way to meet it. I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app for my iPhone a couple of years ago and I used it to track what I was eating. I was working out fairly intensely, but couldn't seem to drop below 193-195 (I'm 5'11").

I recommend eating your normal intake for a few days and tracking it on the app. Once you see what you're putting into your body, you'll have a much better appreciation for what you need to cut out.

I lost 20 lbs (I hover between 173-175 now) in the course of six months and have kept it off for almost two years. The app is tied to www.myfitnesspal.com and you can track your intake just about everywhere. It's very easy to use, and you add in any exercise you get (like mowing the lawn) to show you how many calories you have left.

I also don't recommend going psycho on a workout scheme right off the bat. If you're not used to working out, you'll wreck something and be in a worse spot than you were before. Start off slowly adding workouts to your normal routine. Get up 30 minutes earlier and do something that gets your heart rate up into the 120-140 range and keeps it there for at least 20 minutes in a row. When you decide to add weight training, start off with fairly light weights until you get used to the movements.

I currently use a TRX suspension trainer (www.trxtraining.com), and I love it. You can set it up just about anywhere and there are tons of workouts you can do with it. You vary the amount of stress you put on your muscles by changing where your body is in relation to the anchor point. (NOTE: If you use a door as your anchor point, slide the anchor toward the hinge side, so you don't put a lot of stress on the door and the latching mechanism.)

You might get good results from just eating better and keeping with your normal activity levels.

I do cardio and TRX on alternating days. I run for 22 minutes or so on cardio days (I started running in Afghanistan at 7600 feet, so I'm running around a 8:15/mile pace) and do the TRX for 30-45 minutes on weight training days. My results are pretty good. My BP is good, no diabetes (it's in my family), my resting heart rate is right around 60. I eat a bowl of ice cream for dessert after dinner just about every day, and I get donuts with my kids on non-match Saturday mornings. I'm not severely cut, but I'm in better shape than most men my age (I'm 42) and I'm comfortable in my clothes and with my shirt off in public now.

• 3 weeks later...

Food, food, food. Your body is largely a reflection of what you eat. Change your diet and you WILL see a difference. Easy rules. I started eating much like I had diabetes. I do not. The diet is fruit, vegetables, lean meat. Drink anything I want as long as it is water. That's it. Stick to that and the fat will melt off.

• 1 month later...

Before you consider any serious training get a full checkup with a echo stress test if possible. Techniques like interval training put serious stress on your heart. Also, ramp up slowly in any training program. it takes more time for your tendons and ligaments to adape than it takes to build muscle strength. That is a primary reason why beginning runners often get stuck in the "train - get injured - recover - repeat" cycle. Tim Nokes has a great book called "The Lore of Running" which includes incremental build-up programs for runners. For weight training, it's really useful to have someone like a personal tariner advise you. Finally, core training is really important for all sports.

• 4 weeks later...

Completely agree with everyone on the paleo style diet. Nutrient dense foods are key. Weight training will help you lose fat faster than any other method. You could start off with just body weight movements like push ups, air squats, pull ups, body weight rows, etc... Putting in a circuit will make it go by quicker and help get a response faster (i.e. fixing metabolic derangement). I would limit cardio to walking, or the elliptical, for 30 min. You could even do it right upon waking. You're body dumps cortisol upon waking, and you could ramp up the fat burning effects with some light to moderate walking. It's the perfect respiratory quotient so that the primary substrate your body will use for energy is fat. Good luck to you.

Edited by jeffgray1

Ok, here is my story. I am 67 years old. Been fat all my life... a real bummer. When I was young played football they like fat boys there. Well the truth is I was not that fat in high-school and college. My position was full back so I did have some speed and some good moves. I regress, I doubt there is anyone on the thread who has tried more diets and and work out programs then myself. They did not work, or if they did very small gain for all the strain. Fact is I love to eat good food. Guess that is my addiction.

Seven years ago I finally had enough and went the easy route. LAP BAND...

Yes, it did work, I ate far less then ever in my life and went from 54" waste XXXL shirts, 354 lbs. to a much better 285. 50" and still XXXL shirts. Exciting but then the weight loss just stopped. I found a way to eat past the band, Ice Cream. Milk, candy, and every carb that is bad for you will slip right past it if you focus.

Before long I had gained 25 # back and had to loosen my gun belt. I can guarantee no one felt worse about this then I did. I knew I had failed myself and had to get my shi? back in order. I had quit smoking (cold turkey) fourteen years ago so I knew it could be done.

I made up my mind that I was going to give the another try. So on my own, and without telling anyone what I had planned I started and new eating plan. On a Wednesday I began my eat 1/2 of what ever I had on my plate. I quit milk, ice cream, and as much sugar as possible. I do not drink soda so I tried tea. Manley right. I weight myself every Friday morning while getting ready for work. Before I knew it I was loosing 4 to 5 pounds a week. Ok this is getting to long. Today.... I weigh 220 lbs. have a 42" waste and wear a XL shirt. Could wear a L but like the little extra room. I have no workout program and all I do is try and get as much walking or moving or anything that will burn calories. So far the weight loss has not stopped. It has slowed down to 2 -3 pounds a week, but its steady. My goal 180

This is just like shooting, what makes one great will not always make another the same. The biggest advise I can see is

DON'T QUIT STAY AFTER IT

There is already some great advice in this thread. You should consult your doc before starting on any work out program or major diet changes. There are no short cuts in healthy weight loss.

Ive recently started to get fit. I was about 250lbs (6'2") feb or last year. The first thing i did was stopped drinking soda and cut down on my beer intake substantially. The biggest thing i did and still continue to do is change the way i eat. I never used to eat breakfast. Now its my biggest meal of the day. just changing my diet helped me drop 25lbs in a matter of months. I eat my biggest meal in the morning and my smallest meal for dinner. Lots and lots of water. Cut out the fried foods and started eating more whole nuts and more vegetables.

I had not done any training until 3 months ago. If you want to do cardio, do high intensity interval cardio. This will help you loose weight more than just running miles and miles. Cardio is an inefficient weight loss method. You could also just set a steep incline on a tread mill and walk at a brisk pace for 20 mins or so.

I started following the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. Since starting this, my posture has improved and so has my strength. Its a simple program to follow. and it is completely free. It involves compound movements. Squats, Overhead press, bench, Rows and Deadlift.

http://stronglifts.com/

I am now down to 196lbs and hope to loose another 10 or 15lbs of fat and replace that with muscle weight.

Look up a calorie metabolic calculator to get an idea of how many calories you need to take in every day. Something like this. http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

The hardest obstacle i faced was mental. You cant see a "diet" as a temporary thing. Your diet is what you eat every day. You might have a diet of fried food and candy or a diet that has no red meat, whatever it is that is your diet. People get caught up in thinking that they go on a "diet" thus making it easier to fall back into bad eating habits. This is a change of lifestyle you need to make, there is nothing temporary about it.

Also when you start working out and are having a hard time at the gym or w/e you end up doing, never ask your self "Why am i doing this to myself, why am I punishing myself, this sucks" Your mind set has to change from a victim to a person of action and positive outlook. No more "f*#k i dont want to run 2 miles today" and more like "Im gonna kick those 2 miles in the nuts!!"

hahaha

Fell free to substitute that phrase with whatever works for you. Point is to have a different perspective on why you are working out and why you dont get to eat that delicious jelly donut at 10pm.

Edited by SpaceFlunky

• 3 weeks later...

The diet and exercise program is tough but it is well worth it and really helps for everyday life as well as this sport. I know first hand. I got tired of all these little younguns just flat outrunning me in the matches. I am 5'10 and went from 221lbs down to 180 over the course of @ 6 months and have now maintained that for a year. What I did was joint a small gym close to my house (Snap Fitness). I then hired one of their personal trainers to get me up and running for the first 3 months.

It was a little pricey, but considering it was my health and not just the sport that I was doing it for I went all in. I worked with the PT 1/2 hr a day 3 days a week and went on my own 2 additional days for a 1/2 hr.

The PT developed a program for me based on runningback football training that I still follow to this day.

The quick weight loss was due to a strict diet as well as the exercise. I only took in 1700 calories a day. It was brutal for the first week, but after that I got used to it and it works great.

If you have the desire to lose weight and get in shape you will. Yiu just have to have the tenacity to stick with it!!!

• 6 years later...

Seems like a lot of us are on the same journey.  I was 300+  things are good now but I have done this journey a few times.   I would say sugar is the first thing to address unless it comes from natural food I suggest getting off it.  Even lowering what you ingest from natural food a bit to.   Some like paleo, Keto, etc...  I sorta of fall between those two diets.  I gave up my beloved pizza but its worth it.     Exercise but don't kill yourself well at first.   When I was over 300 I started  and it was walking on the treadmill for a few minutes and the bike for a few more.  Then I would have enough energy for a few simple weight lifting moves but only 2-3 sets.  After a month it was more and after two it was more.  Find something that energizes you for motivation.  I suggest the Jocko Podcast but there are a million out there and like music its personal taste and what resonates with you.   Good luck brother and keep on fighting. 

It helps to have a goal or a reason to train.....  My goal was help my team do service shoot against the local reserves which included running and shooting.   Then it was top 10 in our provincial match.   Now I want to loose 20 more so I can start crossfit as a beast.    No regrets but the extra skin LOL. 

After I quit smoking when I was in my mid 20's I gained weight and over the years I have gone on several different diets.

All of them worked, but as soon as I started eating regular food again, I would gain back the weight.  So I just lived with

weighing a little over 200 lbs.  Of course I used a lot of excuses, etc as to why I wasn't in better shape, etc.  But, as I got

older, I got more frustrated with my weight.  So I talked to my doctor and she said the best way is to just cut back and eat

a balanced diet.  So I did what she said.  I started by simply cutting back on the portion size, but basically eating the same

things, except I cut out bread, processed lunch meat and desserts .  I guess that is a lot thinking back on it.

I started out on April 9th at 220 lbs (5'9") and by June 15th I had lost 40 lbs.  I have kept it off and have dropped from 38"

waist pants that were tight to fitting into 34" waist pants.  However, the 34 pants were a little too snug.  So I tried on 36"

waist pants (Cargo Pants) and they fit well (Wrangler; Wal-Mart).  I was 69 when I lost the weight and I did not go to a

health club and work out, but I did do a 2 mile walk per day, walking as quickly as I could.  My wife has lost 16 lbs and we

are going to join a health club at our local hospital.  My goal was 40 lbs and many of you have said, having a goal helps

you get to where you want to be.  Now I want to tighten up my loose skin and make my love handles smaller.

If anyone has advise to help with the loose skin, etc please let me know; not to old to learn.......    

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck and I think this is not a 6 month thing its a whole life thing.   Gulp that is  a hard one to swallow and my weakness.  I've done the yo-yo weight changes and I hope I am on my last cycle of big weight losses.  Started in March at 303 and just broke 242.  Any activity , assuming good form, is good as many have said long term diet is the kicker.   I went from almost being on insulin to off all my diabetic meds.   Sugar, white bread and white rice are gone.  I did a modified Keto ( a bit more protein than traditional)  and it was a great start to reset my eating habits. I slow added more complex carbs with fibre and manage my calories.  I use my glucose meter to measure my sugars and note changes.  No cheat days in a week maybe once a month because weekly cheats are not good for me.  One cheat  I indulge  is  a slice of multigrain bread if I eat breakfast on the road (going to a match) only one slice!  I use podcasts to stay motivated and they help kill time driving to matches.  Jockopod cast some of Joe Rogan and then of course we have shooting podcasts.   Oh yeah no booze well  again its a once  every two month thing this can be easy or hard depending on your social circle but it saves a ton of money which helps in buy more reloading supplies.    

I started doing 10 minutes  of cardo  and few exercises then crawling home.    Now I get 4-5 workouts in a week for over an hour but still crawl home. 

I like dumbbells and do a few kettlebell moves.  I think that helps with grip strength and core strength which should help my shooting. I see many people talking about CrossFit and boy the videos are motivating.   Going to sign up for a month and a fundamentals course and try to see if that will be something I like and will make a part of my life.  I think the community aspect will be positive for me as I enjoy the group dynamic while shooting matches. 

Creating a healthy diet and lifestyle you can reasonably enjoy long term .. Well if figure it out let me know .  And if it will help my hitfactor I will buy the book (Kindle addition). 

Edited by Dontkillbill