Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for a fat guy

Gadgetech

I've trained on and off for decades, more off the past few years. You need to start out knowing what your fat percentage is. This will help you determine your lean body weight, which in turn helps calculate your basal metabolic rate. Your basal metabolic rate is the minimum amount of calories your body consumes at rest. Once you have that figure you can determine your diet and training regimen, with the goal of burning more calories than you consume. For example, if you burn 2000 calories at rest, and you consume 2500 calories, you would need to burn more than 500 to reduce weight.

Also, fat is burnt by muscle. So although diet does most of the work, rapid weight loss tends to lead to muscle loss. This is why you must do weight training in order to prevent this loss. Over time your fat percentage reduces and your muscle mass increases, which increases your rate at which calories are burnt.

For me I do treadmill work 5x per week (walking) and I do light/moderate weight training 3x per week. The hard part is keeping your diet under control.

Edited by Saffer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm realy happy with P90x. I've lost about 30lb with just modifing my diet. I'm looking into look into Paleo. The nice thing about (For me) I can do it at home, I leave too far away from a gym. I've been running a mile on the treadmill every few night.

I have doctors appointment to night, I've been able to get my BP done to a normal range. Hopefully she'll take me off the meds.

What ever you do try to make it a fun challenge.

What is your current HgA1c?

What is your % bodyfat?

Have you had a stress test?

any other injuries or health issues, i.e. asthma, Hypertension, hypercholesteremia, etc.

Diet, diet, diet. Cut yourself to 2000 calories per day. Very low carb, lean meats and veggies, in 5-6 meals per day. follow the low Glycemic index.

Introduce exercise slowly, assuming your cardiac health is ok, daily walks probably no further than one mile.

after a few weeks of this, add more exercise in, try adding some circuit weights to build up some muscle mass.

Track your glucose multiple times per day, you need to know how exercise effects your metabolism, along with your diet!

I would advise to take it slow, you have been sedentary for a long time and are diabetic as well.

RM

Basically man just start off with some cardio 3 times a week and don't over do it, just get your heart rate up and sweat a good 30 mins and once you get more comfortable with it you can start increasing the intensity. I wouldn't even worry about weight lifting if your main goal is loosing weight. Like others have said diet is huge here, don't under eat. There is nothing wrong with indulging in something "unhealthy" occasionally. Just try to have nice well balanced meals and try to cut out all the unnecessary crap, like sodas etc....

You don't sound extremely overweight at all, but personally I love to eat, so sometimes I ask myself am I hungry or still hungry or am I just eating for the hell of it. Ultimately you would want to have 6 small meals a day but this is almost impossible for most people to stick to, so if you can just do a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner you will be set. Watch your portions as well.

I wouldn't even worry about weight lifting if your main goal is loosing weight.

Ultimately you would want to have 6 small meals a day but this is almost impossible for most people to stick to

If he did intense compound lifts (considering he is able) for the same amount of time as jogging on the tread mill, while eating clean, I guarantee he would lose more weight.

The meals are not hard to do. You have to be disciplined and cook meals in advance. I do it every day.

It's a choice.

If he did intense compound lifts (considering he is able) for the same amount of time as jogging on the tread mill, while eating clean, I guarantee he would lose more weight.

Absolutely I agree with that. If you want to read more on the science behind fat loss and being efficient at it, check this article at T-nation to see the hierarchy of activities and their impacts on fat -- #1 is metabolic resistance training, specifically, compound lifts using the legs, chest, and back.

Our goal is to work every muscle group hard, frequently, and with an intensity that creates a massive "metabolic disturbance" or "afterburn" that leaves the metabolism elevated for several hours post-workout.

A study for this showed the group doing metabolic resistance training had elevated metabolism levels for up to 38 hours after a workout! That's how you burn!

Paleo and crossfit. I'm down 65 in 4 months.

This is exactly what I do and what I'd recommend. You can see my results on my blog cheers.gif

Honestly, in terms of weight loss, the biggest thing you can do is fix your diet. Short, punctuated anaerobic activity will actually benefit you more for weight loss, due to the hormonal changes it induces. Think intervals, sprints, etc.

From a sport specific standpoint, those things will also help you better than long, slow distance "cardio", as they tend to build sprint speed and power - you'll never get into your aerobic capacity in the middle of shooting a stage. If you're going to go sweat it up, you might as well get the biggest bang for your buck that you can ;)

Hi, G-tech! The biggest single attitude that helped me shape up was the realization that I needed to change the way I looked at FOOD!

FOOD IS FUEL! :bow:

I don't like food because of the way it tastes, I like food for it's quality. If I'm consuming a lot of useless calories, I'm going to need a bigger gas tank. (around my middle) :blink:

Now, I would rather eat broccoli, which I used to avoid, than pie, which i used to love.

It's amazing how little I can eat now, and still not get hungry. If you go around hungry all the time, it is simply because your body is not getting what it needs from the present filling station. Keep experimenting until you find the right mileage mix. But, it all starts with the realization that food is fuel.

I'm currently 6' @ 250 at 51 years old. Two years ago I weighed 375lbs. I'd still like to get under 200. It takes complete focus on diet and exercise and a willingness to alter your program when things become stale. Keep a journal of your food intake and training. List everything and be honest! Eat 5-6 times per day, but eat small meals. Don't feed your body with empty calories! Eat fresh whenever possible. If you maintain focus, you will achieve your goals. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

It helps get your slow twitch muscles in order, and and help with back pain.

What are twitch muscles?

My wife and I do have a membership to the local Y and I've thought about doing some spinning classes and body sculpt type classes. I've heard great things about crossfit but another $100+/month isn't in the budget at the moment. Again, I appreciate all the advice you've given!

I have a baileys gym where I am. I do the cycle and the TRX classes. I am coming back from chemo/ Radiation. I ate whatever I felt like eating during the treatments and got up to 260. I am now back to 240 with sights set for 225. (in 6 weeks) I am 6 ft but built big. I would be lucky to get to 205. The biggest thing is diet. I use the myfitness app on my droid(its free) and watch what I eat in addtion to working out. Crossfit is awesome but if you need motivation from someone and can't spend that much a good cycle or other class with someone that is there to push you is great.

Good luck!

Besides needing to get into shape for health reasons, I'd like what I'm doing to be supportive of this sport. I'm 37 years old, 5'11", 235 and built like a doughnut shop and the way I see it my ideal weight is probably around 175ish. Anyone want to chime in on what type of training regimen I should start? Obviously cardio will be huge for the weight loss and I'm thinking cardio coming from an eliptycal rather than running/walking. I'm not very familiar with what I should do for weight lifting in terms of what, how much, how long. Light weights/many reps or heavier weights/fewer reps & are you talking machines or free weights...etc Obviously the diet needs to change as well but I think I can manage that part. I'm also curious how long I should expect to take to lose the weight and start seeing benefits of the hard work.

Thanks for the advice/info.

Hi, I am a 51 year old male. I do work out. My advise to you is start off slow. Some walking and then work your way up to running on treadmill or elip-machine. Try and watch your diet. Take in 1500 calories a day. Most important make sure you eat 5-6 small meals a day. If you eat once or twice a day your body will store what you eat as fat. Your body does not think it will eat again for a long while. If you eat more often your body will know that it will get food soon and not store it as fat. Makes sense doesn't it? As far as the weights start off with lite weights. Just to start with for about a month. Than start increasing your weight. don,t forget your push-ups and set-ups. Start off with a 3 day work out per week. make sure you give you body a rest. Workout 2 days and take 1 off. Then workout the next day. Soon you will be working out 5 Days a week. I have found that a strict diet 6 days a week and 7th day you can eat what you want too. This way it will give you incentive to stay with it. Hopefully I gave you some good advise. This program works for me. ROC 159

to update my crossfit/paleo stats, i'm at 88 pounds down. tomorrow makes 6 months of paleo and 5.5 months of crossfit.

Are you using Rob Wolfs book? I currently reading it right now. Very interesting stuff. I'm going to start at the beginning of the month.

to update my crossfit/paleo stats, i'm at 88 pounds down. tomorrow makes 6 months of paleo and 5.5 months of crossfit.

Congrats! That is an achievement to be proud of. Look at the years you have added to your life. :cheers:

Are you using Rob Wolfs book? I currently reading it right now. Very interesting stuff. I'm going to start at the beginning of the month.

I have it but haven't read it. I really should, though.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to hear from the OP how he is doing on his weight loss goal.

My take on it.

1. Diet. Eat whole foods. Control calorie intake. Control when you eat. Pre planning meals is a must.

2. Burn calories! Many ways to do it but when you are obese to start, avoid exercises that will shock your joints as you will get injured. Walk. Walk stairs (don't runt them). Swim. Ride a bicycle.

Get your heart and respiratory rates up and keep them up for 30-60 minutes every day.

3. Once you get to where you can safely do so, start jogging.

Thanks for all the great advice. I am diabetic myself but would really like to get off the pills. None of the men in my Mom's or Dad's side of the family live long and I'd like to improve my chances.

If that's the case the only option you have is a major lifestyle change. Get a diary and jot down everything you do, when you do it and what you eat and when. Also if you have a SO ask them if you snore. If your sleep is disturbed your body just won't function right. If you are snoring get a sleep study done. It will save your life.

After a week or two of writing in your diary take some time to sit down and look at it. Pretty sure you will see a pattern as to what you need to do to get healthier.

Water or milk only.

If you're trying to lose weight, keep it at water. Avoid the milk, too... (high carbs, and extremely high insulin response to dairy mean you get to keep the fat on your body...)

Yeah, but that's kind of like quitting smoking cold turkey. I think most people have quite an addiction to sugary and caffeinated drinks without realizing it. If you have to have some flavor, milk. But, I definitely agree water is the best.

When I was in middle school I was pudgy. I stopped drinking soda and started doing simply push-ups and sit-ups each day (about 3 to 4 minutes worth) and lost 40 pounds. Now that I'm almost 30, I've avoided adding that weight back on just by doing push-ups and sit-ups. I even treat myself to a chocolate milk now and then, lol.

I didn't read all the posts, so it turned out to probably be a mostly moot point anyway with regard to the diabetes.

I should add, I went out to restaurants often and it was not uncommon for me to have 4 free refills in my large cup of coke. The 40 pound weight loss was over about 3 years.

Edited by Whoops!

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I would list a web sight that has a lot of information, especially in the forums. It looks like a really hard core body building sight, but it has a lot of information for all levels. The nutrition articles are great. I can not list the whole url because I am new here, but the web site is t-nation.com

• 2 months later...

It helps get your slow twitch muscles in order, and and help with back pain.

What are twitch muscles?

My wife and I do have a membership to the local Y and I've thought about doing some spinning classes and body sculpt type classes. I've heard great things about crossfit but another $100+/month isn't in the budget at the moment. Again, I appreciate all the advice you've given!

I don't think you should spend a single penny on exercise equipment or gym memberships right now. Your 90% solution requires only that you do more and eat less. Simple regimens of bodyweight exercise (pullups, push ups, sprints, jumps, situps, running, biking etc...) done with consistency coupled with a reasonable amount of food every day will prepare your body for more advanced forms of training. It takes the average person only two or three training sessions to learn how to do these simple movements, and they can build an entire short range program around 5-7 exercises. This is manageable from a mental and physical standpoint. Think of this as firing into a berm to git rid of a flinch reflex.

As a former crossfit subscriber I can tell you that this is not a good place for you to start. You need to focus correctly executing your movements and graduate intensity as your ability to execute improves. You might notice that this is similar to what the expert shooters on this page are telling new guys like me to do. Thats because this is how humans learn and develop new skills. The worst thing you can do is take an out of shape body and learn half ass (excuse the language) movements against a clock. This is like telling a new shooter to bring his shot timer and shoot difficult stages before he knows how to correct malfunctions in his gun. He will get better at working around his weaknesses, then plateu, and development will come to a screeching halt. Remember, you are in this for the long haul and you are trying to stay on the on-ramp of fitness. I know I am probably going to start a crossfit sucks v crossfit is awesome debate here, that is not my intention.

Anyhoo, I don't ever mind my opinion being critiqued so fire away.

• 1 month later...

cut out the fried foods, sweets, beer/alcohol etc and watch the overall intake.

Great advice. I'll add that skipping white potatoes, wheat and corn are very, very helpful. ESPECIALLY skip them at night time. Calories from those foods, if not burned, become fat on the body.

Definitely dispose of dairy altogether if you want to drop fat pounds.

Avoid fruit juice!!!

If you stick with lean proteins (fish, chicken, leaner cuts of beef, egg whites, whey) and green/orange/yellow/red veggies, you can eat all of this stuff you want and you will drop body fat. However, you might be lacking in energy. Some oatmeal in the morning and maybe a yam for lunch will help give you energy from healthier carb sources.

Train your mind to think less about what tastes good and what makes you feel good temporarily, and more about what will make you feel great long-term.

I've seen people exercise like crazy but not change their eating and get extremely frustrated (including me). They increase their endurance, strength and flexibility, but still carry unwanted fat.

My go-to "extreme" diet to lean down a bit over a weekend is black coffee, water, whey protein shakes and celery. AND THAT'S ALL, but maybe some raw broccoli and green/orange/yellow/red peppers. Initially, it sucks, but at the end of the weekend, I feel very, very good. Eating that way still gives me enough energy to go shooting and/or do yard work and do a little strength training. Something like a 25-50 mile bike ride, forget it. Not enough fuel in the tank.

Then on Monday I got back to eating more balanced, but still avoid dairy, any sugar drinks (including fruit juice), grains, white potatoes. If I cheat with some chocolate or some other thing that I loooooove, then I have ways to drop fat that aren't too painful.

Cardio exercise is fantastic and should be embraced, but most people can't drop the pounds from this alone.

I hope this helps.