Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for Scope Rings/Mount

CJW

I recently purchased a Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmore and put a 20MOA Evolution Gun Works railed scope base on it. In a month or so, I ought to finish paying off the Nightforce 5.5–22x56 scope that will allow me to finally shoot the thing. :)

What do people recommend for an actual scope mount? Part of me wants to take advantage of the railed base by using a one-piece mount (like a Larue or Bobro). Would that end up making the scope too high?

I'm open to suggestions. My goal is eventually to shoot 1,000 yards with this rifle, so I am looking to wring the most out of it that I can.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I think I will be looking closely at Warne and Seekins. Got a few more weeks to pay off the scope, so I won't decide just yet, but when I drop off my next payment I'll ask my pusher gun-shop guy to help me measure up the correct scope height so I can get the order right.

I'm curious... all the responses said rings instead of mount.

Is there a "downside" to, for example, running an EGW rail on the receiver and putting a 1-piece mount (Warne, larue, JP) on the rail? Assuming it didn't put the scope too high, I can't think of a disadvantage....?

jakers, definitely something I was interested in with my OP. I certainly don't mind doing rings, but since I put an EGW rail on in the first place I was wondering if there would be any mount recommendations.

I have shot both rings and 1 piece mounts, both work well if properly installed. There is no disadvantage to either. However, I don't change scopes from rifle to rifle very often. Supposedly, some of the bases will return to zero when removed and replaced on the same rifle. I always check the zero and adjust the scope as needed when replacing. Regardless of mfg statements, I don't trust it any other way.

I think your choice comes down to a matter of preference. Put on good quality mounts or rings, level the scope, torque screws properly, and above all, know your ballistics.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Badger rings are very well made and I have several Badger products, but I submit that any set of rings will benefit from proper installation.

Any part of a scope mounting setup can be off by a small amount when manufactured. Too small to be seen by eye. The highest quality base, rings and scope will be a frustration if the parts as a whole aren't working together. Taking the install in order and checking as you go will payoff in a great mount and good performance. IMHO, lapping rings with the proper tool, will soon confirm if the rings (and any other part of the setup) is true. If it is, great. If not, it can be fixed. Lapping in this instance is a diagnostic tool as well as a fitting tool.

I like simple, strong mounts. My preference is for Seekins rings. They are light, brutal strong, and precise. An elegantly simple solution that works, plus Glen is a nice guy that I enjoy supporting. I also think they are one of the more cost effective solutions that have been discussed.

Cheers :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a one piece get the Nightforce Direct Mount base and rings for the 700. I have it on mine and it is strong, less parts to come loose and it looks good. Available in different heights and long or short action. Your new Nightforce scope will feel right at home. Also, in many cases now when you buy a new Nightforce scope it comes with the ultralight rings. I just sold mine because I was using the one piece base.

Doug

http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-direct-mount-100-20-moa-rem-700-short-action.aspx

Edited by Doug H.

Badger rings.

Gunsmith friends Al Warner and Charlie Milazzo said once that they were the only rings that came true and didn't have to be lapped.

JK

Lapping rings really has very little to do with how true the rings are.

If the mount holes in the receiver are untrue the mount will then be torqued thus inducing some misaignment in the rings, lapping cures this even though the scope, rings, and mount were of the highest build tolerance.