Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideas and such for a new rifle

TRUbor9

I have always shot factory rifles (Savage's for the most part and 2 AR15's) BUT now I plan to build or have built an actual custom rifle. I'm debating between 6mm NORMA BR(Competition/Target/Varmints), 338Lapua Mag(Why not? :devil: ), .257 Weatherby Magnum (Varmints/Target/maybe comp), or some other varient of the 6BR family or maybe someone out there has a suggestion too. :)

Also I believe I'm limited to a Rem 700 as far as actions so being the noob I am I would greatly appriciate your help and advice finding the parts I need. I have a basic list of my questions

*WHAT CALIBER?!?!?!

*Who makes superb match barrels?

*Where can I get a stripped action

*what stock? I'd like something like this http://www.mcreesprecision.net/ftr_pr_t.htm or http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1334860/1106772.htm or http://rifle-stocks.com/tactical_thumbhole.htm or http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/ or this if i go 6mm http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/id10.html

*Who makes bolts with firing pins?

*I want a super light trigger (1-2lbs) and I would prefer a safety

*What type of bedding? Glass or Aluminum bedding block?

*What other small parts and pieces?

No Creedmoor or Grendel I've considered those and will eventually get the PT rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

Thanks In advance! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

ETA should I maybe look into other actions like these http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html and find one with a 700 footprint or the Savage?

SO MANY QUESTIONS :wacko:

Edited by TRUbor9

Calibers, stocks and action questions will generate more of a debate than Ford vs Chevy........

I advise pick a caliber on intended use or component availability, stocks on intended use and as far as barrels go, I currently favor Kreiger. Having said that, there are many other good ones out there. 6mmbr(dot)com is a good resource for you.

I dont want to start a debate but I'm really new to long range and would like to hear what other's out there are using. I will most likely go with 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm BR-DX. 6.5 Creedmoor is more available (THANK YOU Hornady) but I've heard alot of good about the 6BR-DX too. As far a stocks I like these http://www.precisionriflesales.com/riflestocks.htm I'll get the F-class, C-4, or F-T/R model. I'll take whistlepig's advice and go with a Kreiger barrel. I'd like to know what actions have preformed best I'm leaning towards one of these BAT, BARNARD "P", Borden, Farley BlackWidow, STILLER PRECISION, or STOLLE by Kelbly "Panda".

I plan to shoot up to around 800yds

With the Creedmoor I would go with the Hornady A-Max 140gr 1/8 twist 26-28"

For 6mmBR-DX with a 1/9 twist most likely.. and I'll pick the bullet that works best

Going to try to contact Precision Rifle and Tool http://www.precisionriflesales.com/index.htm

My main purpose for this rifle will be long range varmint(yote's) and other long range competition.

for 1000 yards I have .308 on a 700 action

Hart barrel

Jewel trigger set at 1.5 lbs

Badger trigger guard/floorplate

Badger 1 piece scope base and rings

McMillan A5 Stock pillar and glass bedded w/ adjustable cheek pad and spacer pads.

Leupold Optics 6.5-18x

Harris 6-9" swivel bipod

my next rifle will be straight .243 on a savage. at 6mmbr you can see it has all the capabilities at long range with the 115gr DTAC and can be built really light weight

if you go with 6mmBR or a variant and you are set on remington actions you may find yourself in a pickle unless you have a 40x. The neck dimensions limit its feed ability from a mag, but it is possible. .338 seems a little much for what you want to do, also look at certain competitions they have a 30 cal max limit some are .40 so just be sure before its too late. I'm pretty sure the 1000 yard record was set with the .338 edge so I say go for it if you'd like.

Another thing is reloading some of the cartridges require fire forming and all that good stuff.

Also people who disregard the Savage usually have not shot one, so be weary of any negative remarks without a detailed description

Brownells sells stripped actions

I would definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmoor now if you think you will be getting another rifle in the future with it. I like the 243win too. Lots of bullets for both.

I'd ask Bobby @ Freedom Gunworks his opinion on the hardware. That is really his bailiwick.

I have had a AICS & Mcree Precision stocks. I liked them both. There was a new one that came out recently but I don't recall the name.

I think you'll find that between the 260, 6.5x47, and 6.5 Creedmoor they are all close. It'll come down to personal preference.

I have two rifles that I have shot in matches, both sniper matches and just banging steel.

1. Remington 5R MilSpec in 308 -- bone stock but its a shooter. It's in a AICS stock. The thumbhole on the AI is a love hate for some people... I recently switched to the Viper skins so it got rid of the thumbhole. I'm pushing the 175SMK's at 2725fps with Varget.

2. .260 Remington on a Remington action and Rock Creek barrel at 24". This sits in a Mcree stock. I am shooting the 140 Amax about 2810 fps with H4350. The 6.5 bullets fly so much better than the 30 cal bullets.

I'm having another 260 built on a Surgeon action and Krieger barrel that will sit in a McMillan A5 stock. I'm mostly likely going to turn the Remington 260 into a straight 284 Win since its the same bolt face and can be used on a Short action. I'll use the Mcree stock. It's probably going to have a 30" barrel and will push the 162 Amax well over 2950 with ease. The BC on the 175SMK is good too.

One more comment since you mentioned the 338 Lapua .... do yourself a favor and look at the 338 Edge. It can be built on a long action so it doesn't require the XL Lapua type action. The Edge will push the 300 SMK's over 2900 easily. Look for articles from Shawn Carlock. Ya I'm gonna build one of these too so I can shoot it at a mile.

You're more than welcome to lay down behind either rifle and send some rounds down range if you want to check them out.

Edited by ncboiler

You're more than welcome to lay down behind either rifle and send some rounds down range if you want to check them out.

I might take you up on that sometime when we thaw out :cheers:

I plan to shoot up to around 800yds
Well, I've seen people shooting 1/2 MOA at 600yds with a fairly stock Rem 700 5R and a bit under 1 MOA at 800yds. Are you looking for more precision than that?

well I want to get the best rifle I can so I know If I'm not winning it's me. I have solidified my decision on the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's easy to get factory match ammo and I got to shoot one last winter out in AZ and loved that i could easily put 3 shots in a hole just over the size of one round! I won't be using a 700 action, I'll probably go with a BAT Machine, Stiller Precision, or Surgeon.

I'd stay 260 or 260AI,feed it via DBM and bank on it's ability to slip conditions better due to the speed increase and yet not concede COAL "advantages" inherent in the Creedmor's shortened hull. Tough to beat the logistics associated with feeding something via 308Win hulls and sizing a false shoulder out of the gate for finite headspace control,very much interests me anyhow. I'd never trust a Factory to crank ammo out as good as mine and complete control of seating depth in relation to a given throat is what bears the most fruit anyways.

It's very easy to arrange an exceptionally accurate platform and there's lots of ways to skin that cat,both over the counter and in Custom builds.

Food for thought and touching upon an over the counter barreled action(LTR 308),dumped into a sound stock(M40A1 return handle). Virgin Lapua hulls,partially neck sized for consistent neck tension and 155 Scenars stuffed to mag constraints of the OEM box(meaning a loonnnggggg jump to the lands) on top of '15. I purposely left some doors open,if only to promote discussion.

NoPrepBrass.jpg

NoPrepBrassC.jpg

And noone hates 308's more than I.(grin)

TRUbor9,

I think the actions that you have listed are very good, but IMHO very different. The Surgeon is more of a tactical action and the BAT is more of a Benchrest, with the Stiller somewhere between. All are m700 based which makes it versitile when it comes to stocks and other accessories. I like Jewell triggers, but there are others just as good.

Go with a choice barrel. There are a lot of good barrel maker, so it really comes down to who can deliver what you want in your time window. Brux, Broughton, Kreiger, Hart, Lilja are all great barrels.

Go with components that fit want you are wanting to do, also a builder that builds the type of rifle you want to shoot (i.e. you may not want to turn necks if you are wanting to shoot tactical or Highpower matches.

I have known Ray at Precision Rifle & Tool for decades and he builds a fantastic stock (I have 3 and all are on his website). You cannot go wrong with his stock.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round. But if you are looking for factory match ammo, you will have more options with a .308 Win.

Hope this helps.