Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ85 Combat vs CZ Custom 75 Shadow

Lunker

I am currently considering two options:

Getting the CZ Custom shop CZ 75 Shadow Target model.

Buying a CZ 85 Combat and having it shipped to CZ Custom to have them install the SA/DA hammer, extended firing pin, adjustable rear sight, fiber optic front sight.

The CZ85 Combat option comes in about $200 cheaper. I spoke with Rob (?) at CZ Custom and found out the biggest difference is in the frame, with the CZ 75 Shadow having the upswept beavertail. I would use this gun for steel and IDPA. Is the grip difference much? Does it matter much? I have held and shot CZ75's before and have no problem with the ergodynamics. Is the Shadow that much better? It is unlikely I will get the chance to hold the two together in one sitting.

Thanks in advance..

on the $200 difference... remember this: the cheapest thing about shooting any of these sports, idpa, uspsa, steel, the cheapest thing is the GUN itself. wait til wou start looking at ammo costs, match fees, and travel. in the end, $200 is just a couple matches away from having a nicer frame that helps you grip it easier. spending a little more on the gun is easily justifiable given the cost of everything else we put into the shooting sports. go for the shadow frame. just my two cents. :cheers:

Burning,

Thanks for the advice. It wasn't so much the actual dollar amount so much as the principle. If the beavertail is not going to improve my shooting, then the $200 is not well spent. If it does help, then it is worthwhile. I was hoping there were folks out there that own/owned both and could tell me if there is a noticeable difference in shootability.

i've owned and shot both, and there isn't really a big difference. however a high grip does help in shooting, and the beavertail does assist in doing just that. if the answer of "yes it is worth the extra cash for the beavertail" is what you're looking for, then there is my answer. go for the beavertail! :cheers:

I own 2 Shadow's. Held an 85C after having just the SP-01 Shadow, thinking it would be good for IDPA (before the 75 Shadow came out).. No go for me. The downswept beavertail was a deal breaker. I'm sure I could get use to it, but the SP-01/75 Shadow's are much better feeling in my opinion.

I guess you guys have convinced me. I look at photos and the only difference looks like the very end of the CZ75 Shadow beavertail is upswept as compared to straight back for the CZ85. I didn't realize it would have much impact in grip position.

I think the older style frame works better for those with longer fingers. It seems to me the differences in the frames make the grip circumference smaller on the "beavertail" frames. I have no problems shooting well with either style, but really do not care for the thin aluminum grips plus "beavertail" frame....

Isn't the mag release different on the two frames?

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a lot of good things about the SP-01 Shadow and, I think, they are legal in California. The SP-01 variant (without the Shadow designator) is definitely on the list.

What I haven't read is whether the Shadow plus an empty magazine will make the weight for IDPA SSP

At the moment, I am considering whether to start shooting IDPA and I'm thinking the lowest division would be the place to start. I'm not inclined to buy a Glock 34 or 35 due to ejection problems with the most recent production lots. I think, instead, that I would consider the CZ 75 (if it is legal in the class) or the S&W M&P (probably 9mm).

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I am aware that, far and away, the Glock G34 owns the SSP division.

Richard

i shoot the sp01 shadow in both games, if i could start over i would get the short frame shadow so that i wasnt VERY limited in grip selection and magazines. The way i see it now the nonsp01 shadow is still a heavy beast of a gun by any standard, and that with the low bore axis keeps it shooting flat. The knob of steel on the end of the sp01 certainly improves it as a melee weapon tho

i shoot the sp01 shadow in both games, if i could start over i would get the short frame shadow so that i wasnt VERY limited in grip selection and magazines.

you have the same selection of grips and magazines for both guns...

Not really. The SP-01 Shadow will not make IDPA weight (39oz), with Thin Alum grips, and 18rd mags.

ah, i didn't see the i-d-p-a part

would thin al grips work with any mag?

Not that I've seen. It takes the super light wood grips (Marschal? They're lighter than the AL), 10rd mags, and maybe even a swap to standard 75 safety's and removal of the mag brake depending on your particular gun and how much buffer you want.

Ok, thanks for the info. I assume I have to not only present the 10 rnd mag but also use only that type for the match, correct?

I think I weighed in at 40.x last uspsa major. I think I don't have far to go for the 39 oz limit

Correct. Any thing you use on the clock, has to be legal. (I thought of that at first also)

Was that 40.x with a Mag ? :surprise: My SP-01 Shadow with mag goes 41 I think. Are you shooting a Shadow, or just regular SP-01 ?

i don't remember if it was with a mag? that would've been with a 16 round and heavy rubber pad if it was.

i searched the uspsa rulebook, it says no more than 2 oz over published weight on the list, but it does not have anything on procedure, with or without mag.

dang, those 10 round mags are like $900 a piece, lol.

can i just attach a helium balloon to it at all times? :roflol:

or i can shoot my PCR.

Yeah, thats why I shoot a 75 Shadow 90% of the time. I have an SP-01 Shadow, but it was cheaper in my mind to buy another gun, instead of grips and mags for the one I have.. :cheers::roflol:

Edited by DWFAN