Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Midway won't ship me ammo anymore

ErikW

Seems Midway has their heads up their asses and just lost a sale...

Federal, state, or local law prohibits us from sending the following item(s) to the shipping address you entered:

Product #: 826530

Product Description: Remington Slugger Ammunition 12 Gauge Managed-Recoil Rifled Slug 2-3/4" 1 oz Case of 100 (20 Boxes of 5)

Well, I can't order any ammo from Midway now; it's not just slugs. Here are some e-mails...

Sent:    Tuesday, May 18, 2004 6:34 PM

To:    MidwayUSA Customer Service

Subject:    restricted shipping to 94110

I recently attempted to place a web site order that included ammunition but

I was informed "Federal, state, or local law prohibits us from sending the

following item(s) to the shipping address you entered." I get this message

when I attempt to order any ammunition shipped to ZIP code 94110 (San

Francisco).

My previous ammo orders from Midway were received without incident. I am not

aware of any new laws that prohibit Midway from shipping ammo to San

Francisco or California. I believe Midway is mistaken.

Please advise me whether Midway will continue to restrict shipping ammo to

San Francisco (or California). If so, I will have to find another source for

reloading components, ammo, and other shooting supplies.

Erik,

Thank you for your e-mail.  We have had several issues with shipping to specific areas of the country.

Your zip code is blocked because of local California laws concerning mail delivery of ammunition.

Apparently, there is some legislation concerning this.  If you would like more information on

why we can not ship you ammo, I would suggest you check with your Attourney General.  I apologize

for the inconvenience

Sincerely,

Joshua

MidwayUSA

Customer Service

Well, when you finally get sick 'n tired of dealing with California 'laws', there's always Oregon. We shoot, reload, carry and buy ammo with no problems here that I know of. And we're just up the I-5 a ways... B)

This isn't a California thing.... now it's getting zip code specific. I had seen individual ones before for Yolo, hadn't seen SF having restrictions.

Hopefulyl it's only a Midway temporary mistake?

If you just got to have ocean and sun all the time, come on down to FLORIDA. Even though you have to put up with the So Fla politicians who should be back in NY, the rest of the state is "Land of the Free & Home of the Brave". Heck, our Bush just signed a law protecting shooting ranges. :)

Oops, I didn't know you can't ship ammo to Yolo County. But who would know? That didn't stop UPS. A quick check of the county laws didn't turn up anything. I'll have my friend who's a lawyer for Yolo County see if she can find anything on that.

One other option is to have Midway ship the ammo to the UPS hub for will call, hopefully in another city or county.

Scooter. In Yolo, I think it's powder/primers. I could be wrong on the specifics, but if you look through some catalogs (black powder supplies, etc.) they won't ship to Yolo County. :wacko:

Again, if Midway is just following the law, how is it their fault?

Rich

This is getting pretty bad in Massachsuetts - the AG is agressively going after mail order firms telling them they have to add such prohibitions or start spending lots of $$ on legal fees to sell to a tiny state. Pretty much all of the firms are doing as they are told.

Guest Larry Cazes

Erik....There is a very good reason not to ship anything firearm related to San Francisco. It's called LIABILITY! No different then STI stopping shipments into the state based on advice from their lawyers concerning liability. I do believe that there is an ordnance concering shipping ammo into Los Angeles and maybe Midway is mistaken but I doubt it. I order NATO .308 ammo from AIM regularly and have no problems into San Jose.

Okay, I found out what the whole deal is with Yolo County. This topic actually came up in discussion a few weeks ago at the County. There is no law that stops them from shipping ammo. What happened was a few years back, the Sportsman's Guide sold nunchucks (sp?) to a teenager. One, they weren't suppose to sell nunchucks in California because they are illegal. Two, they shouldn't have been sold it to a minor. The DA did not prosecute, but threaten them with legal action for selling illegal products. All the companies that won't sell to Yolo County have at one time sold illegal products and were threaten with prosecution. No legal actions were ever taken. That's why they refuse to do business.

The county supervisors do want to put in a provision that will encourage these companies to sell to Yolo County. Why, because they can't get their ammo.

As I mentioned before, if they won't ship to your city or county, have them ship to the UPS or Fedex hub that is not in the city or county. For instance, the UPS hub for Yolo is in West Sacramento which isn't in Yolo County.

Too late for Midway, F 'em. I sent my federal reserve currency elsewhere. CheaperThanDirt, despite their quasi-survivalist trailer-trash catalog, is now my supplier of slugs. If Arnold Schwarzenegger and/or Bill Lockyer have a problem with it, I'll give them my address so they can send a DOJ death squad.

Long live capitalism and market forces.