Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned S_I 9mm Mags - where to buy?

38SuperDub

So I'm looking for the best place to buy 9mm mags for my S_I already tuned and ready to rumble - I've seen the Superior Firearms ones they have at Shooters Connection - who else makes a good ready to run tuned 9mm mag - FGW, Brazos, anyone else I'm missing?

Who have you had good success with?

I know it's not what you asked but a local guy polished mine and adjusted the specs and put them together with parts I bought. They have ran perfect all summer and hold 29 and 23 9MAJOR.

STI tubes, Bolen pads and Grams guts. All from shooters connection. 3 140's and 2 170's for around $600- $650.cheers.gif

Edited by Kevin Sanders

Yeah, I had the same problem. I did my own and started doing them for others around me. There are a couple of us here that do that since most of us had a hard time finding good services. I like Bobby's (FGW) the best but he told me he quit doing it unless someone gets the gun at the same time.

I have never had to tune SVI mags for 9 major and I really like their new follower.

That's strange but I've noticed the same thing. I have several SV mags that are "out-of-spec" but I ran them in my 9Major guns for a while and they work fine. I have tuned them up and they still run great so I believe it's more of the design and geometry that has to deal with it. Of course, quality parts and replacing springs when needed is important too.

I have never had to tune SVI mags for 9 major and I really like their new follower.

That's strange but I've noticed the same thing. I have several SV mags that are "out-of-spec" but I ran them in my 9Major guns for a while and they work fine. I have tuned them up and they still run great so I believe it's more of the design and geometry that has to deal with it. Of course, quality parts and replacing springs when needed is important too.

Out of who's spec? I tend not to fix mags that arent broken.

I don't recall seeing specs on SV's site but STI has feed lip numbers. Iirc, 9mm lips should be .355" to .360" and I haven't found an old style SV wider than .320" If that'll work in your gun that's great but it won't work in either of mine. The rounds sit way too low. The other problem, at least with the old tubes for me, is that most of the 170 tubes are so out of square they won't drop out of the grip. Don't think that I don't like the old SV tubes but in my experience they're all "broken" from the factory. A trip to Howard, back when he was doing them, or Adrian now and life is good! :D

Nope, never said broken. Just not what they should be or what is considered to be the optimal spacing, dimensions, height of the lips, length of the lip rail, etc., etc.

I didn't "fix" mine since they were not broken. I merely brought them into what is generally accepted to be the optimal specs and went from there. I've shot about 4K of rounds in the last several months without issues. My point was that I didn't have issues before (only about 1K) that but who is to say that I wouldn't eventually? Either way, it was only an observation, not a comment on anything broken.

Also, most of my mags are the 170mm (6) and all of mine work great and fall freely in my STI guns with a multitude of grips on them (SV, APS, Millenium, Roupe, etc)

FYI, I had a set of SV tubes that would not drop for 2 different STI plastic grips... I talked to Brandon at SV, he said send me the lower, and the grips and I'll fix them... He sent me back all my mags tweaked so they drop free from any STI that I put them - for free...

Now mind you these were new SVI mag tubes (prior to the new-new ones)... But SV really is a class act with their products and their support.... Even it they were cross bred in use with my STI frame/grip...

YMMV,

Alan

To the OP, I run 1 shooters connection 170 and 3 Dawson 170's and 3 Dawson 140's. Only problem I have is I can't load the 140's to thier max 24 but I prefer to load them to 20 for easier reloads anyway.

edit- fix spelling

Edited by TRUbor9