Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Kindle Fire

I've handled one; my son-in-law's. For the smaller size of it compared to an iPad, the KF seems like it weighs a ton, even more than the iPad, though that could be the perception of the smaller dimensions v. substantial weight screwing with me. It seems like wouldn't work as a successful e-reader for no other reason that fatigue in holding it for long periods.

I take it back; the iPad weighs more (we have one now), but it's also bigger dimensionally (it's thinner than the Kindle) and seems to handle better. And a way better book presentation; I could actually do some real reading with this. And as far as weight goes, I didn't consider that the average hard cover book weighs more than any of these tablets, so maybe weight doesn't really matter.

I just bought a Kindle Fire yesterday. Sams Club has them for $197 and I had some gift cards (Christmas presents, yay)

I havent figured out what this thing does yet, but it seems pretty neat...mostly it wants to be a portal to buy more Amazon stuff.

I have been watching a bunch of shooting videos on youtube with it, it loads fast.

I wish it had a 10" screen, I really wanted an ipad, but couldnt bring myself to spend the money.

I was always resistant to e-readers. I would be sitting on a plane reading a book or a magazine while the guy beside was nervously waiting for the announcement that he could turn on his electronic device. So I'll still be taking a book along.

• 1 month later...

A question for those who have had a Kindle Fire for a while.

I have a regular Kindle for books. I've looked at the Fire and it's nice, but I can't see any advantage to it unless there are some worthwhile apps to go with it. And that seems to be the stumbling block - there are just not that many apps that will work with the Kindle. Has anyone found anything really worth mentioning that would justify the added cost over a regular Kindle?

I bought my wife a color nook for Xmas and she's read 10+ books on it. With a simple update I opened the restrictions and made it a full-fledged tablet. This isn't illegal but it does void the warrantee agreement. Now she can purchase books from amazon too. It also accesses the android market for games and free stuff. She also uses it at the house to check her email and for light internet surfing. The Fire would also make a great tablet.

Edited by sidnal

• 1 month later...